PDA

View Full Version : Oft & Flight Safety Academy Only People Who Actually Was There Plz

gernie
22nd Apr 2008, 11:50
Hi, I´m looking forward to start my pilot training in the States in a few months. Im actually looking into Flight Safety Academy and Orlando Flight Training.

In Flight Safety they have a program (the instructor path) wich takes 2years and u get all the american licenses and and u instruct during one year getting up to 1000h of flying time. The thing is that at the end u need to go back to Europe and Convert. So I heard, that when I get back to Europe you actually have nothing apart from the American license and its like starting all over again in a JAA school in Europe... (14atpl exams)

This schools looks pretty good and really serious, the price for the program is 75000$ plus 25000$ for the conversion. (Still much cheaper than Europe)

In the othe Hand is Orlando Flight Training. They have a pro pilot course that in one year you get everything and when u get back to Europe u only have to the de instrument rating conversion. But it only cost 39000$ wich is really strange.

So before enrol in any of those school and take any decision, I´m looking for a piece or real advice of anyone who has been in any of this schools doing this courses. This will really help me a lot. Thanks guys

wilky
19th Jul 2008, 10:33
SB172 is that you Stu? just guessing by your initials if it is PM me, we know each other !

KandiFloss
19th Jul 2008, 13:35
Having gained my ppl there I'd avoid OFT. I agree with the statement about problem pests in the house, i'd never seen a live cockroach :} until I lived in their accomodation. Ants crawling around all over the surfaces in the kitchen, in my breakfast cereal :yuk: and into the bins.

I don't really have anything positive to say about JP either, in fact in my opinion he's a bit of a bully.

I also knew someone when I was out there who was going to do his commercial licence + , and had a bad experience, that's all i'm saying!

leeds 65
19th Jul 2008, 14:23
i was happy with oft. left there about 1 year ago now.did the full jaa pro course.just keep the head down and work hard.

hour building is great.there are loads of planes,you can easily take them at nighttime\after dinner.

accom is not that bad,basic enough but fine.

recommend them

LostAndFound
19th Jul 2008, 15:17
i Was at both schools.You can not even compare .FSA is one of the best and most respected globally.

Woody946
29th Jul 2008, 00:53
Did my ratings at FSA and worked at OFT.

FSA- Expensive, but worth it. Will never want for a single engine airplane. Maintenance is very good. On the off chance that yours is broke, there are generally many more to be had. Instructors are very standardized making instructor swaps much less painful. Little tighter on the multi's, but not unmanagable. Drawback- you are treated as a child through your whole training. Even after getting a commercial certificate you will need an instructor's sign off to fly an airplane. Takes the decision making away from the pilot, in my opinion.

OFT- They're cheaper. If you watch your account and keep a decent attitude you rarely have major problems. Plus, if you want to rent an aircraft for the weekend to go someplace with a girlfriend or something, you can do it. After your PPL all you need to rent the airplane is cash and an open slot on the schedule, no checking with an instructor.

TUIFly
29th Jul 2008, 05:36
Well,can't say anything about FS but if you have brain you will get in OFT exactly what you want.

1.Check your account every day.
2.Speak with managment,make a deal.If you don't like something just say about!
3.Yes,it is overbooked,mostly by Indians.But if you will do JAA professional programm,you will have time to fly,because anyway you will stay there for long time.
And ground school with exams are easier than in EU(exept Greece maybe )
4.Try to avoid student house ,that's truth!You can find some shared appartements cheaper,try google :-).I had master badroom in privat house for $450,bills included.But you will absolutely need a car.

Staff is OK,just negotiate!
And remember: America is a DEAL!

Cheers!