PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot and Adaware - Are They Still Any Good?

BRL
22nd Apr 2008, 11:27
I remember reading that they were not very good these days whereas once upon a time they used to be what everyone used.

Any one still use them and are there any better ones out there?

Thanks.

frostbite
22nd Apr 2008, 11:40
Stopped using Adaware some time ago - it never found things that others did (although they were pretty insignificant).

Still use Spybot about twice a year, if I remember.

smuff2000
22nd Apr 2008, 12:07
I recently updated both of these to the latest versions, Adaware was a major upgrade, also have Micosofts anti-spyware on as well,I find it beneficial to have all of them and last time I ran scans they all found slightly different problems, all of which were minor.

Certainly wouldn't dream of not having them, there may of course be better software out there, but you probably have to pay for it.

Bushfiva
22nd Apr 2008, 13:05
They're certainly no worse than anything else out there. They update rapidly and scan quite rapidly, and for many people the price point is right.

John Marsh
22nd Apr 2008, 14:26
frostbite:

You might want to consider using Spybot a bit more; there's at least one update per week. After an update, you can 'Immunize' your PC against threats. Scanning is best done when you don't need the PC for half an hour or so.

Spybot has found a few bad items, over 3 years of use.

AdAware: still using AdAware Personal SE, not 2007. '07 version has been crtitcised as bloatware which is resource-hungry. Definitions updates for SE are available from www.majorgeeks.com (http://www.majorgeeks.com) ; unzip the file to C\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal.

I don't recall AdAware ever finding anything nasty; just good for peace of mind.

Also use: SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.
Avast Home is the resident protection.

DX Wombat
22nd Apr 2008, 15:09
I still use (my regularly updated) Spybot and it has picked up a few things, especially where entries have been changed when it will ask you to either approve or deny the change.
Anti-virus is AVG :ok:

poss
22nd Apr 2008, 16:07
I'd say so, even though I don't use them I recommend them to a lot of my customers. Take today for instance CID ad's kept coming up down to the customer installing MSN Plus, spybot got rid of some and adaware the others... poppups never came back. :)
They aren't programs to run every week, just once a month or something.

four_two
24th Apr 2008, 21:02
Anti-virus is AVG

I've still got faith in this application but I'm getting cheesed off with the constant reminders from them that I can upgrade to a paid version which is "better".

When AdAware stopped their SE version I switched to SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition. It certainly looks the business, I can only hope it performs as well as it looks.

ksa5223
24th Apr 2008, 21:10
are you using AVG version 7.5? i can PM you a special number that will get rid of your troubles...and you will get the premium version for free... :eek:

I run AVG AVirus & also Anti-Spyware - the premium paid versions. Which works really well.

And also another one called Uniblue SpyEraser which is very good.

Bushfiva
25th Apr 2008, 02:55
When AdAware stopped their SE version

Um, they simply renamed it when they released the new version.

Dan Winterland
26th Apr 2008, 05:13
I use both. They do find slightly different problems - but spybot recently found a spyware my other half inadvertantly downloaded. I do a check weekly now.

mcdhu
28th Apr 2008, 11:57
.........and while we are onthe subject, does anyone have a view on 'Spyware Doctor' from Pctools.

Cheers,
mcdhu

BRL
28th Apr 2008, 16:46
Interesting question that!

Last week my laptop caught something, hence the need to ask the original question here.

When my laptop boots up and all has settled, IE7 starts up and loads a few pages, first one being a link for Spyware Doctor and how to remove Spyware/Adwares!!!!!!

I think being spammed by something that links to Spyware Doctor is not a good sign!

mcdhu
29th Apr 2008, 08:35
I too caught a rather nasty trojan which pointed me towards a removal program with a name similar to Spyware Doctor (can't remember it). In the end I had to download Spyware Doctor itself as the only thing which would remove the pesky thing. Various PC publications rate Spyware Doctor 5.0 highly. Confusing - innit.

I currently have it running on the 'homework' PC which was the one which caught the trojan (children!) and have just upgraded my free AVG to 8.0 from 7.5. Seems to work ok.

Cheers
mcdhu

Bushfiva
29th Apr 2008, 10:24
Spyware Doctor by PCTools is legit, System Doctor is malware masquerading as legitimate anti-spyware/system repair software. Once you see ads for System Doctor, you're already infected by its malware component that prompts you to download/install/buy the wretched thing.

S'land
29th Apr 2008, 10:32
I have AVG Anti-Spyware, Super Antispyware and Spyware Blaster - all free versions.

However, I like running Spybot at least once a week as i find that it restores all of my programmes in the Start menu (after about a week XP seems to show only the programmes that I have used in the last few days).

Tarq57
29th Apr 2008, 10:56
If it actually is System Doctor you have, it's a rogue, and installation is via a Smitfraud variant.
Under no circumstances should anyone buy the darned thing.
Effective looking removal instructions here. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic58656.html)
To the original question, my opinion is that Spybot is still worth it- there are some better freebies, and maybe better protection strategies- but Spybot is still actively supported, has a good forum, frequent updates, and some useful tools. The detection and cleaning engine is, I've read, a bit past it for many of today's malware, but I've never had to put this to the test.
AdAware...well, um, it's got a pretty interface...
Good free scanners/removers: definitely Superantispyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/), also consider A2 (http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/), Cureit (http://freedrweb.com/cureit/) (by DrWeb, standalone download-to-update virus/malware scanner) amongst others.
Good prevention strategies include SpywareBlaster by Javacool, MVPS Hostsfile (I use Hostsman to manage/update this), maybe Comodo Boclean antitrojan, Threatfire behaviour blocker, and along those lines, you might want to consider whitelist based applications, such as HIPS, and/or virtualisation like Sandboxie.
Layer.
I use Avast Home, Threatfire, Comodo Firewall 2.4, CMF, Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Firefox with Noscript and AdblockPlus, and clean all temp files after every browsing session with CCleaner. Seems to work. All free.
Also highly recommend Secunia software inspector. (https://psi.secunia.com/) Alerts to a very large range of software typically installed on a PC that may need patching.
Hope that helps.