PDA

View Full Version : KLIA Departure Procedures

llchew
22nd Apr 2008, 09:47
As part of DCA's initiatives to improve departure capacity at KLIA, the following procedures were introduced effective 13 March 2008 through AIP Supplement 12/2008. To reduce RT, Tower will no longer issue initial altitude restrictions and change of frequency instructions.

Unless notified by ATC, all departures shall
- climb to initial altitude 6000 ft;
- contact Lumpur Approach after airborne as soon as practicable but not later than 2000 ft on the following frequency:
a) departing Rwy 32L/R - 124.2 Mhz
b) departing Rwy 14L/R - 119.45 Mhz
- on first contact with Lumpur Approach, report
a) the assigned SID,
b) the altitude passing to the nearest 100ft;
c) the initial altitude climbing to.

To ensure that all flight crews are aware of the procedures, we
a) sent reminders through the Airline Operators Committee at KLIA;
b) issued a NOTAM A0712/08 as a trigger NOTAM;
c) transmitted the frequency change requirement on the ATIS.

Reports from the controllers during the first week of operation showed a high degree of non compliance. Another NOTAM A0860/08 was issued towards the end of March detailing the procedures.

We are still getting reports of non compliance ranging from (from common to rare)
a) not reporting the initial altitude climbing to;
b) not reporting the assigned SID;
c) not reporting the altitude passing;
d) not calling Lumpur APP by 2000 ft, remaining on Tower frequency;
e) reporting climbing to final cruising level instead of 6000ft
f) busting the 6000 ft restriction.

E mails and letters have been sent out to some of these operators but it is a slow process yielding poor results. We hope that this forum will provide a faster conduit to pilots operating out of KLIA reading this thread.

Regards.

chewll

B74567
22nd Apr 2008, 11:55
llchew
I think it will be a good idea that you also post this in the other regional forums to inform other foreign carrier pilots as well.

Fair.Pilot
30th Apr 2008, 06:19
Hi Chew,

I think we can leave out the initial altitude climbing to (6000 ft) in the RT.
Let's minimise what we have to talk. 6000 ft is generally understood.

Have a nice teh tarik!

Virtual Reality
30th Apr 2008, 11:32
B74567,

Good point but certainly not in this Prune forums.

Chew,

a) the assigned SID,
b) the altitude passing to the nearest 100ft;
c) the initial altitude climbing to.

I thought the above call is quite standard for any initial call after departing from any major airfield around the world (or at least I practiced that + my employer insist that regardless whether it is written or not on the dep plate).:ok:

modeselectorignition
1st May 2008, 16:25
Hi Gents
Yes, agreed that the RTF is pretty standard worldwide. However, got to disagree that 6000ft is standard/understood. It may be standard/understood to some or frequent flyers out of KUL but even at times, due to separation or "back-to-back" departures, the aircraft behind may be cleard only 4000ft or 5000ft. Hence, it is important to conform to the standard RTF or ANY requirement from ATC (since even NOTAMS publish the procedure now). To cut out unwanted or "chatting" then pilots should, as much as they can, practise standard ICAO RTF and be discipline.:)

handsome one
4th May 2008, 02:26
Put in the KUL app charts so everyone can read it rather then put it in the AIP supp.:D

modeselectorignition
4th May 2008, 04:41
Hi,
If you refer to ICAO RTF procedures, it is standard call to give SID, level passing and cleared level when you are in first contact with radar on departure. Subsequently, only cleared level, maintaining level or any other clearances like a hdg, deviation or speed as appropriate. Hence, no need to be incorporated into chart.

Cheers!

GlueBall
4th May 2008, 05:39
llchew . . . Include this short sentence in the ATIS:
"All departing aircraft climb 6000 ft, contact Dep control when airborne and state SID, altitude passing and altitude climbing to."

Also write this sentence on all SIDS in bold letters with respective departure freqs. :ok:

llchew
4th May 2008, 13:05
Gentlemen,

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I was beginning to think that this thread was going to fade into oblivion.

- include in the ATIS
[I]we did that for the first couple of weeks. We found out that the 6000 sounded like 8000 [with a couple of airlines actually climbing to 8000] and so we removed it;

- put in the plates
[I]our new charts that are coming out with our new AIP amendments will have these procedures incorporated. That will be out only in June in accordance with our AIRAC cycle. It was always our intention to put them in the plates. Prior to implementation of these procedures, we conducted a safety assessment. We identified that there was a good probability that pilots may miss the AIP Supplement. To mitigate that risk, we transmitted on the ATIS, sent reminders to the local agents handling the airlines, sent two NOTAMs as reminders, and sent letters to the operators that failed to comply. Kind of an overkill but until last week our records still showed non compliance or non awareness by some operators. Thankfully, the numbers are reducing.

- standard for any call
that was what we thought. This has been in the Malaysian AIP since the mid 1990s. You would be surprised at the number of operators that do not comply or are not aware.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

llchew

veloo maniam
4th May 2008, 13:31
Hi Aviators...good feedback...maybe we should change tactics...instead of NOTAMS we should go for MALAYSIAKINI. Don't be surprised how soon flyers will comply.:ok:

B74567
6th May 2008, 12:04
Try Malaysia Today too!

I'll cut and paste the first post (by llchew) onto the various regional forums.
Maybe that may help.

B74567
6th May 2008, 12:17
Easier said than done. Haven't started a thread before. Having difficulty doing so. Help .....anyone?
Thanks

weasil
6th May 2008, 13:24
I think it will be a good idea that you also post this in the other regional forums to inform other foreign carrier pilots as well.

I'll cut and paste the first post (by llchew) onto the various regional forums.
Maybe that may help.

Starting multiple posts on various forums is a violation of the Pprune terms of use.
Another user took your suggestion and has been temporarily banned for doing so.