PDA

View Full Version : External hard disk driver for Windows ME.

fireflybob
21st Apr 2008, 15:22
Have just purchased a 250 GB External hard drive for £49 which works fine on the laptop which is running Windows XP.

My main pc is running Windows ME, anyone know if a driver is available for this to run an external hard drive?

Thanks for any help

Alvision
21st Apr 2008, 15:45
What make is the external hdd?

rasobey
21st Apr 2008, 16:05
There is usually a disk that comes with the, err, disk, that contains drivers for legacy operating systems. If not, have a look on the website of the disk manufacturer. If not..come back here with the make and model and perhaps we'll see what we can do :)

21st Apr 2008, 16:47
Windows ME usually recognises most external devices.
Is it a USB drive, and when you plug it in, are you getting a warning stating that certain files can't be found?. (these are usually USBNTMAP.SYS and USBSTOR.INF ).

If this is the case, this was a common problem with Win ME, and if this is what you are experiencing, let me know, and I will post a couple of links on how to try to fix this.

fireflybob
21st Apr 2008, 23:53
The external drive is Maxtor.

The device manager is showing the drive ok but when I go to My Computer it is not showing.

Bushfiva
22nd Apr 2008, 00:22
Is it FAT32 or NTFS? If you formatted it on your Windows XP machine, it will be formatted as NTFS. Windows ME doesn't do NTFS.

fireflybob
22nd Apr 2008, 00:52
Ok got it sorted now - did the format on Windows ME and its working on XP too - thanks for everyone's help.