PDA

View Full Version : Roadmap to being an Airline Pilot

Awesome!
21st Apr 2008, 14:43
Can anyone plzzzzz.....explain the roadmap to be a Pilot of a commercial passenger or cargo plane for a newbie like me........ Plz explain the path...... i mean....first you get a PPL then CPL then Multi-IFR.....then build hours then apply for jobs and interviews with airlines then hopefully get selected THEN WHAT???????............ any further training????? or is there anything that i missed in between ...maybe something after CPL or Multi-IFR...... plz plz guys......experienced pilots please explain what its like to be to fulfill a dream of flying HIGH......Thanks in Advance

Wellington Bomber
21st Apr 2008, 15:07
A few things missed out on, especially get a class 1 medical before starting any of the below, save you lots of money

1. Get PPL
2. Pass ATPL commercial exams
3. Hour build and get 150 hrs before starting CPL training
4. CPL
5. IR
6. MCC

then you are free to look for work

Alternatively, You can go do a FI rating after the CPL and build more hours before starting your IR

HappyFran
21st Apr 2008, 15:16
Above post will give you a frozen ATPL.

To defrost will take a further 1,500 hours PIC (min age 21) :cool:

The final bit (can be in tandum) is the type rating for the beast you are lucky enough to slide into RHS.

plus continuous type training every 6 months and medicals annually :rolleyes:

Lurking123
21st Apr 2008, 15:26
.... and a wad of cash. :ooh:

AlphaMale
21st Apr 2008, 23:15
This might help?

http://www.wbryce.co.uk/ATPL.jpg

Awesome!
23rd Apr 2008, 07:51
Thanks alot guys!

potkettleblack
23rd Apr 2008, 15:54
Also read the sticky at the top of each of the wannabe forums. Within it there is about 10 years worth of information that people have devoted to helping out newbies get to grips with what lays ahead of them.

Bealzebub
23rd Apr 2008, 17:24
Alphamale,

What a great answer ! A good map as well.

All the ones I have, either have a big crease, or a worn out hole, just at the place you want to arrive at. A bit like life I suppose.

Well done.