View Full Version : Removal of snow off rotor blades

Brien23
21st Apr 2008, 13:55
What is the best way to remove snow off main rotor blades.

mtoroshanga
21st Apr 2008, 14:03
Very carefully. There should be a procedure in your manuals. Avoid hammer and chisel. If it is above freezing you could hose it off. Beware of some anti-ice liquids, they can damage blades.

somepitch
21st Apr 2008, 14:14
by pulling your blade cover off and the snow with it!:ok:

oldbeefer
21st Apr 2008, 14:56
Or wait until the spring!

VfrpilotPB/2
21st Apr 2008, 15:09
Or work some place where its HOT:ok:

Vfrpilotpb/2

tegwin
21st Apr 2008, 15:17
Just start her up....the gyroscopic effect will kick the snow off....

Inceidntally....does heavy snow and ice build up on MR blades damage them? I could imagine snow on a larger helicopter would cause serious droopage:sad: (Oh er nurse!)

Bravo73
21st Apr 2008, 16:59
Just start her up....the gyroscopic effect will kick the snow off....

tegwin was obviously joking with his suggestion! :}

IIRC, lots of flight manuals suggest a 'warm hangar' as the best way of removing snow and ice deposits.

dammyneckhurts
21st Apr 2008, 19:34
depends on the snow....

-if it was wet snow while falling and has turned into frozen ice you have a problem, you need heat and blade covers or a hangar to melt it.
-if there is no ice, just thick snow use a broom or brush and wipe it off

John Eacott
21st Apr 2008, 22:17

What type of blade? What type of snow?

Composite blades (eg BK117) are far easier to clean of snow than old 'metal' blades, such as the Bell 206. Dry, soft snow will brush off easily, wet heavy snow will inevitably freeze onto the blade surface and be a PITA to get off. I've used hot water put on with a chamois leather to clear clear ice from the blade surface, constant application and drying required to eventually clear all snow and ice off the blade. Tedious, prone to frostbite if you're not careful, but the only reliable method that I found in 5 years of parking out the back of my place in the snow ;)

Never, NEVER, rely on spinning the blades to shed any snow or ice. Anything left on the blade will create an enormous imbalance, and probably ground resonance if you get that far :uhoh:

Blade covers are the best way, if you have to leave a machine outside :ok:

wiisp
21st Apr 2008, 23:29
Hi there,

If it is frozen and you can't brush it of, you have to use hot water and towels. Put the towel on the blade and pour the hot water over it. Start from the root of the blades and work your way out to the tip, the melted ice will go "downhill". It is a pain in the ass but the only way if you don't have a nice hangar..

Fly Safe..

helicfii
22nd Apr 2008, 01:33
Many years ago I worked for a fellow in the Northwest who left his H-269 outside one night. The next morning, one of the blades was actually touching the ground, because they were so piled high with snow and ice. He replaced that blade, because it had a crease in it. I saw the picture taken of with the blade touching the ground.

Of course, he showed that picture to me AFTER I had put about 140 hours on that particular helicopter :eek:

The things you don't know that happen to some aircraft......a bit worrying. :8

John Eacott
5th Jun 2008, 08:17

Or go down the pub until the weather improves ;)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/2192-1/BK117+at+Dinner+Plain+behind+Eacottage+03.jpg

chopper_guy
5th Jun 2008, 13:28
Somepitch has the answer. Put the blade covers on anytime there is the slightest chance of precipitation freezing on the blades overnight. It is a colossal pain in the ass because 98% of the time it was for nothing, but well worth it for the other 2% when you are in the bush and no hangar or deicing is available except for a bucket of water heated up in the cookshack.

Floppy Link
5th Jun 2008, 21:15
Ec135 book says "...place aircraft in a warm hangar..."