PDA

View Full Version : Idiotic JAA

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 12:23
Well this post is more of a statement.....

I am a dual US/Citizen of a European Nation.

I have been looking in to converting my US ATP with multiple type ratings and several thousand hours of flight time.

The conversion process is extremely idiotic, meaningless and bureaucratic in nature, for no reason other than being difficult.

You have to sit in on 14 written test that is designed to be extremely difficult, with a very high failure rate, even after you have proven yourself as an experienced aviator....then the buffoonery is not over yet, you have to take additional check rides in an airplane to prove to the European member states you can fly an airplane.

I have no idea who came up with this rules(read the UK) for the European member states. This does NOT promote additional safety in ANY way or fashion. This only hampers and prevents any safe operations of European aerospace. Right now they hire extreme low time copilots that possess the
JAA license, but with NO experience instead of hiring the best they can from overseas or worse yet park airplanes because of pilot shortage.

I think the European aviation authorities should be ashamed of them self for this legislation and meaningless rule making.
This does not promote any additional measure of safety, other than limiting airlines in Europe from hiring the best qualified pilots they can get. After all this is a global economy. I believe if you have a work permit or citizenship in a EU or European member state, possessing a pilot license from a ICAO or FAA country it should be fairly easy to convert a commercial or ATP license.

The FAA in the USA is very accommodating and helpful in converting a JAA European pilots license. This is ludicrous as I am sure most of my fellow aviators would agree. I am going to file complaints with FAA, and also with congressmen that is involved with the FAA legislation to start retaliation against this unfair practice., the FAA practices very fair and non discriminatory practices regarding this. If you want to work in the US you need a Green Card or Citizenship, something thats very fair.

Shame on you Europe for the JAA system.......

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Bokkenrijder
21st Apr 2008, 12:40
The FAA in the USA is very accommodating and helpful in converting a JAA European pilots license. Shame on you Europe for the JAA system....... True, but then on the other hand, it's almost impossible for a foreign national to work in the US. Your immigration system (INS) is about as bad as our licensing system (JAA) with a similar effect: keeping the foreign pilots out. :{

p.s. Don't be mistaken to think that the JAA makes it any easier for EU nationals to convert an FAA license. :{

remoak
21st Apr 2008, 12:50
Funniest post I've read in years... the wise and noble FAA vs the blasted rotters of the CAA/JAA. This will be fun... ;)

Bigmouth
21st Apr 2008, 12:53
Really? Off the top of my head I can name about two dozen europeans working in the U.S., and I have met dozens more. I can't think of a single U.S. citizen working in Europe, though.

And yes, what the JAA requires you to do to convert your FAA ticket is nothing short of harassment.

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 12:59
Yes of course there is tons of Europeans working in the US thats my point...the FAA is very lenient and accommodating with foreign nationals....as opposed to the Europeans. Where it is a brick wall of lunacy :ugh::ugh::ugh:

underread east
21st Apr 2008, 13:01
We have at least one US citizen flying our jets (Major European integrator).

Huck
21st Apr 2008, 13:02
I got my CFI in 1991 and eagerly put my name on the list at the local FBO.

Didn't get many students though - three dutch fellows were living in a pop-up camper behind the hangar, sweeping floors and answering phones for free, and they got first crack at any prospective students.

They were nice guys, and I admired them for working so hard to be professional pilots. I did resent, however, that I couldn't cross the pond and work in their country.

Check Airman
21st Apr 2008, 13:08
The JAA wants you to have some fundamental knowledge Wheter or not it's useful is another matter. There are LOTS of useless exams in the US (SAT, GRE) that don't tell you anything about the applicant and are likewise insulting to a foreigner's intelligence. Do the exams, or don't work in Europe.

The cosmopolitan boy
21st Apr 2008, 13:09
HO MY DEAR.....:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

This only hampers and prevents any safe operations of European aerospace.

-SAFETY AS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROCESS OF CONVERTING YOUR LICENCE. HAVING AN FAA LICENCE IS JUST AS SAFE AS HAVING A JAA ONE.

You have to sit in on 14 written test that is designed to be extremely difficult

-THE 14 WRITTEN EXAMS ARE DESIGNED TO GIVE YOU A MORE COMPLETE KNOWLEDGE OF AVIATION SUBJECT. IF YOU THINK THE ARE VERY DIFFICULT, YOU HAVE GOT A PROBLEM.

Right now they hire extreme low time copilots that possess the
JAA license, but with NO experience instead of hiring the best they can from overseas or worse yet park airplanes because of pilot shortage.

-WHERE YOU BORNE WITH 1000s OF HOURS LOGGED ON YOUR LOGBOOK??? I DO NOT THINK SO. IF YOU THINK YOU ARE GOD OF AVIATION YOU MIGHT HAVE ON MORE PROBLEM...:=:=:=:=

I CAN TELL YOU OF AT LEAST 10 US CITIZENS WORKING FOR MY AIRLINE IN THE EU.

THE JAA IS NOT PERFECT, BUT YOU CAN NOT EXPECT TO BE GIVEN A LICENCE JUST BECAUSE YOU WISH SO...
GOOD LUCK

apaddyinuk
21st Apr 2008, 13:27
Plenty of non europeans flying with BA!

Farrell
21st Apr 2008, 13:34
How about being proactive?

Instead of solving the problem, you want to double it by getting the FAA to do the same?

The JAA tests are there to weed out psycho Yanks who think they can come over here with their Orville and Wilbur store card license (it's LICENCE!....oh no, but wait, you call it a certificate don't you. And here's me thinking that certificates came on sheets of paper. Oh well.)

To borrow one of yours.....Gimme a break, dude!

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 13:37
Yes Sir that what ....my point was of course there is tons of Europeans flying in the US and yes I know a couple of Yanks flying in Europe. My point was the meaningless obstacles.....

mackey
21st Apr 2008, 13:40
Calm down cosmo boy,

747jetdriver,

The JAA exams are a pain in the arse but they are the hoops we all have to jump through to get the shiny licence:ugh::{, in a perfect world there would only be one licence for everyone......but there's not and until that time if you want to come to work i Europe, which you are welcome to, I would suggest getting your head into those nasty JAA ATPL books and burn the midnight oil!!:zzz:

Don't let them get to you.........the JAA I mean!!

M.

Farrell
21st Apr 2008, 13:42
And just to add..... THE MEANINGLESS OBSTACLES????

Have you tried getting a flight training visa for the US lately?

mason
21st Apr 2008, 13:42
If you shouldnt have to do the exams why should we all not get FAA licenses and convert wouldnt that be easier? yes !and it would lower the standard here .
and you said you would encourage retaliation! it sounds like the exams might give you some needed common sense!
good luck

Avionero
21st Apr 2008, 13:45
I am flying for a European carrier and only have US skippers all the time, and I know there are more of them on the other fleets, so it can´t be that difficult.

Most overseas pilots are flying on validations.

A friend of mine, an experienced Cpt., just converted his licence to JAA.
Yes you have to sit 14 exams for no reason and FAA might be easier on this.
The US just compensates that with immigration rules, let alone, work permits.

It´s a global economy, but no government has heard about that so far.

You have to sit useless exams. If you do that, you get your job and most probably a better salary than at home, so what´s your problem?
(all US pilots in Europe I know are here for the money, not the women, the food or anything else).

Bokkenrijder
I also have plenty of US colleagues (in EZY) who can live and work in the EU just because their great uncle's father's cousin's sister was Irish/British and therefore they can claim an EU passport... :rolleyes:

Once again, where there's a will there's a way. Just like those Dutch guys sweeping floors in the FBO in the US, Americans can also chose to work/study hard for your JAA exams and get a job in the EU. So stop complaining and get on with it! :cool:

There is nothing discriminatory about the way Americans (non-JAA) pilots are treated. EU citizens have to put up with the same idiotic exams when converting an FAA license. Whether or not these exams are realistic is an entirely different topic.

rotorknight
"meaningless obstacles"

Thats what aviation has turned into in the last 20 years.
But unfortunately,I don't feel sorry for you because I(as a Dutchman) had to do the whole fr....king shaboom as well about 15 years ago.
So nothing has really changed has it?????

Still hope you get your job though;)

On the other hand I hope the Europeans start harrasing the US a little bit more back with finger prints before you enter the EU or sending all your credit card details and asking you a ton off silly questions on the flight down :{:{:{:{here:ugh::ugh::ugh:

747jetdriver
Mackey you are right on...yes you are correct. The point to my whole post its ludicrous and an insult to our profession as pilots and airmen. This does NOT promote any more safety..but just an additional hurdle that we don't need on either side of the Atlantic.

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 13:48
Rotorknight I I feel for you....bu I am fine where I am at. My point to the whole thing was sort of....Europe is missing out on fine pilots that would have been an asset ......:D:D

richatom
21st Apr 2008, 13:50
On the other side of the coin, FAA licence holders might be able to convert to JAA licences more easily if the FAA examination process was a bit more rigorous.

A bizjet friend of mine recently did his FAA theory exams - he said he just bought a CD containing all 700 FAA multiple choice questions, it took just four hours to learn off by heart all the answers, then he took the exam, and passed. He said that as far as he was concerned the FAA licence was worthless as it was so easy to pass the exams.

The JAA exams do not allow you to do this - you actually have to study and understand the material, not just blindly learn by heart the answers to the exam questions.

rotorknight
21st Apr 2008, 13:51
We can always try to unite:E:E:E and see if the JAA\FAA can finally come up with a world license.
Wouldn't that be great;)

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 13:52
I know Europeans have to deal with the same IDIOTIC system........but what is the purpose......don't be upset with me I am just the messenger.The European JAA system is a joke....just seems everyone is content with it and accept it as the rule. I don' think its many Europeans with work permits in the US sweeping hangar's this days even with the down turn in the airline industry...they maybe don't get rich but they have a job.....:ok::ok::ok:

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 13:54
Rotorknight applause to you...yes of course we all are a brotherhood as pilots......:D:D:D an international worldwide recognition would be utopia!.

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 14:02
Check Airman,

Well no interest on my behalf...you can keep your utopia there and think by keeping the bar so high where you make it very unaccommodating for prospering pilots to even pass and become a pilot that the notion you have achieved anything from that else that creating a HOSTILE environment for an elitist club like you think you are part of. This is SILLY and does NOT create a more safe airline industry or aviation community than the USA.

Airgus
21st Apr 2008, 14:06
Standardisation is needed in this case where a system has to be implemented in an mixed enviroment where are different languages, cultures and aviation backgrounds, among other things.

Maybe you want to complaint about the High Standards?, it could be high for you, low for others, the important thing is to bring everything up to a level.
Leave the FAA for US and the JAA for the EU, buy fish in the fishmarket and bread in the bakery.... not the other way around...
Will and englishman complain about everybody is driving wrong way on the Highway in the US ? or will he adapt himself to the local system and drive on the RHS of the road?... same thing here... adapt to the local legislation, cultures and system... otherwise you will be swimming against the current...

If your point is about the excess of information in the subjects? Could be (like knowing that the frequency of the Radio Altimeter is 4400Mhz... why???), but again, the more you know the better is for you and for you to interact inside the local system, the better is for you to be up (or above) to the standards...

The last point is... this post is not a rumour nor a news... post it somewhere else next time... jet blast maybe?

And please get your books and study, it is not that bad at the end... if you can fly a big jet, then knowing all the JAA subjects would be easier for you.

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 14:07
Farrell, this was a low blow and nasty...The JAA tests are there to weed out psycho Yanks who think they can come over here with their Orville and Wilbur store card license (it's LICENCE!....oh no, but wait, you call it a certificate don't you. And here's me thinking that certificates came on sheets of paper. Oh well.)

To borrow one of yours.....Gimme a break, dude!:eek::eek::eek:

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 14:10
Airgus....you have valid points. Yes its not news just an observation from a guy that spent to much time on the other side of the pond..:ok:

mackey
21st Apr 2008, 14:14
Right, thats my standby finished.......anyone for a beer?

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 14:18
So you think this ACTUALLY makes it safer to fly in Europe than the US with the FAA system it sounds like you feel like a more difficult and HARDER system promotes better pilots. Please prove this by flight safety statistics....I think you will have a hard time doing this.

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 14:20
Mackey...I will have a beer with you anytime anywhere.....:ok::ok::D

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 14:35
Yes Sir...but then again like my point is...its all aviation...we are all the same just separated by a bunch of bureaucratic BS.....;);)

mackey
21st Apr 2008, 14:37
As long as it's in a large glass and cold I dont care what the units are.......mmmmmmbeeeeer!!
M

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 15:00
I have just analyzed the pros and cons of the whole JAA debacle.....but have decided maybe its not for me.....I rather fly and do the real thing, instead of burning the midnight oil and memorizing useless formulas and outdated information......I seriously believe it has NOTHING to make you safer or a better pilot than the FAA trained pilots, many here like to laugh at. It is just another USELESS obstacle milking you of your hard earned money and hardship.....we are all pilots and we all seek the same thing......fly airplanes. I think Europeans are all Outstanding aviators. It is unfair of many here to laugh at and make mockery of the FAA. They have after all certified many of you, and also the metal you strap your butts into everyday.

Its just a different mindset that goes into certification of airmen and the amount of hurdles you have to jump trough. Unfortunately my Euro brothers think hardship and lots of examinations makes VERY good pilots....unfortunately it is meaningless or in statistics comparing US to European aviation safety.

747jetdriver
21st Apr 2008, 15:03
Mackey The bigger the Better the Glass.....:ok:

Bealzebub
21st Apr 2008, 15:27
Unless it has changed, the FAA would usually issue an restricted licence on the basis of a foreign pilots licence. However if you require an unrestricted pilots licence you were required to comply with the relevant experience and testing requirements. As far as the ground examination requirements are concerned this used to involve ( and perhaps still does) studying answers for 1000 published questions and paying your fee and sitting the exam.

In Europe most of the examinations are multiple choice these days and no doubt there are similar study materials. If the examinations are different or more difficult, or more expensive or even more expansive, then that is something you as a candidate will need to address. If it is the case that the US examinations are more difficult then the same will be true for reverse applicants. That is life and tough luck !

Different countries and different supranational authorities lay down their own standards in respect of licensing. If you want to convert from one to the other, you will need to comply as necessary, no matter how unfair or difficult you find the process.

This is not just true in respect of pilots licences, but even in relation to travel between the two trading blocks. If a pilot from Europe wishes to operate a flight into the United States, they will be required to set aside a few weeks to apply for the necessary visa. Pay the high cost of application, and then travel to their nations Capital city at not inconsiderable expense, to queue for most of the day to attend an interview. Then wait for the visa to be returned by post. This for the delight of often having to queue for hours each and every time they then need to use that visa to enter the USA. Citizens employed as crewmembers of that country, are not made to reciprocate. In most cases they need no visa, are quickly processed in to European nations with little fuss or hinderance. Maybe you should include that with your rant to your congressman ?

If you want to excercise your "dual citizenship" and work in Europe, then you will require the relevant licence. However difficult you might find that, others have achieved the relevant standard. If you think you are good enough then you should have little difficulty. If you think a dispensation should be made for you, then make the necessary application to the appropriate authority. However your congressman (if he isn't in court on some public decency violation charge this week,) is probably unlikely to be of much help in this regard.

G09
21st Apr 2008, 15:52
Being a European, from my point of view there's not much sense in this regulation of having to sit in on 14 tests, since the questions in the JAR database focus on phenomenons that are in general the same worldwide, so why would it have to be the main factor to determine whether you are eligible to fly in Europe.

One of the most significant aspects between the continents is the attitude to creating rules, that are far stricter in the EU, which is understandable due to the traffic/land ratio. That's why I think maybe a few flights on the jump seat would in the end be more valuable than taking the theoretical tests.

That's just my opinion
;)

sud747
21st Apr 2008, 16:49
No reason for the hardfeelings towards european, most of us had to go thru all these exams. To let it out on the forum will not solve your problems. "If you can not beat them, join them". In my time I had a US licence, and guess what I had to do it all over again in europe...So what's the problem. Get your nose in those books...

dartagnan
21st Apr 2008, 17:07
747driver, i agree with you(I have FAA/JAA). all these license conversion are joke. it is just about $$$$, how much money they can get from you. it has nothing to do with safety. it 's all politic, job protection,...

if everybody run to USA to lean to fly , then get a JAR license automatically , EU schools will close for sure, flight instructor will be without job,...you have to pay for your license here...that s all.
when u spend money, u give jobs...we dont care if u are good or not, all we want in this system is your money, so people here in europe can keep their job.
expect to pay 40'000$ for your JAA license.

Deep and fast
21st Apr 2008, 17:28
747jetdriver,I think you are taking it a bit personally! The whole system is a hoop jumping exercise which you need to do to fly in europe. The exams seem to prepare you for single pilot transpolar public transport ops (Gridnav anyone) navigating by loran and decca. How much do I use on a daily basis? 5-10% maybe. Still if you do get your in the books and pass it will prepare you well for any interveiw and there is always the satisfaction of knowing you have passed! :E
All the best:8

ItsAjob
21st Apr 2008, 18:19
I can honestly say after the sitting the 14 exams I was no better an aviator, but one hell of card counter.
Amazing how much useless info you can store and recite from your short term memory!

saffron
22nd Apr 2008, 08:35
I am Brit (american mother) took FAA exams first then converted to UK CAA in 1983,essay questions at that time!Same ridiculous exams (plotting etc)use about 10% of knowledge gained.However the exams were intended as a screening process to weed out those who might struggle in this profession.The FAA exams are practical,but in my opinion ridiculously easy.Apparently the FAA & EASA have formed several harmonization boards to look at harmonizing regs on a/c technical regs & flight crew licencing,let's hope something comes of it!

apruneuk
22nd Apr 2008, 09:35
In defence of 747, let's just dispel one or two popular myths on this subject:

Firstly, the JAA exams have become just as tick-box as the FAA. I converted an FAA CPL a few years ago and did the JAA theoretical exams via a distance learning course. I can honestly say that I found the study (about 2 hours a day for a year) a pain in the neck but very rewarding. Imagine my surprise when I went to the school for a refresher week before the exams and found out that the residential students in the main were learning "question banks" supplied by their instructors and often bought from other schools.

Nowadays the schools have such a knowledge of the JAA question data base that the 14 exams have essentially become as meaningless as the FAA exams.

Secondly, when I was in the States doing the practical exams (every bit as denmanding as the JAA in my opinion), my instructors in the main had done their CPLs in combination with a 4 year aeronautical sciences degree; a little more demanding than the JAA system! To work for a "Major" in the US you must have a degree and for many new FOs it makes sense to do it in an aviation subject. This largely accounts for the relatively basic theoretical exams in the US.

Both systems have their relative merits and I can honestly say from personal experience that neither are better. Under either system a pilot can gain a piece of paper that says that they are commercially qualified. No sensible operator is going to trust £30 million of jet and several hundred lives to just anyone who holds a commercial ticket. Those that have a sound understanding of the relevant aviation subjects, are personable, responsible, mature, reliable and can actually operate in a safe and expeditious manner in a multi-crew aeroplane will always get a job wherever they trained.

I am also fairly sure that if you have over 5,000 hours or so heavy jet time either authority will issue an exchange multi-crew licence subject to a check ride which can be done as part of a routine LPC. Worth looking in to.

youngskywalker
22nd Apr 2008, 11:56
I thought I read somewhere that if you had 1500 hours or more in command of a multi crew jet over a certain weight limit (cannot remember if it was 20 or 30t) then you can get a restricted UK ATPL by passing an LPC.

C-141Starlifter
22nd Apr 2008, 16:43
Well this post is more of a statement.....

I am a dual US/Citizen of a European Nation.

I have been looking in to converting my US ATP with multiple type ratings and several thousand hours of flight time.

The conversion process is extremely idiotic, meaningless and bureaucratic in nature, for no reason other than being difficult.

You have to sit in on 14 written test that is designed to be extremely difficult, with a very high failure rate, even after you have proven yourself as an experienced aviator....then the buffoonery is not over yet, you have to take additional check rides in an airplane to prove to the European member states you can fly an airplane.

I have no idea who came up with this rules(read the UK) for the European member states. This does NOT promote additional safety in ANY way or fashion. This only hampers and prevents any safe operations of European aerospace. Right now they hire extreme low time copilots that possess the

I think the European aviation authorities should be ashamed of them self for this legislation and meaningless rule making.
This does not promote any additional measure of safety, other than limiting airlines in Europe from hiring the best qualified pilots they can get. After all this is a global economy. I believe if you have a work permit or citizenship in a EU or European member state, possessing a pilot license from a ICAO or FAA country it should be fairly easy to convert a commercial or ATP license.

The FAA in the USA is very accommodating and helpful in converting a JAA European pilots license. This is ludicrous as I am sure most of my fellow aviators would agree. I am going to file complaints with FAA, and also with congressmen that is involved with the FAA legislation to start retaliation against this unfair practice., the FAA practices very fair and non discriminatory practices regarding this. If you want to work in the US you need a Green Card or Citizenship, something thats very fair.

I feel for you brother. I did the conversion a few years ago and it was nothing but @$$ pain. I however, am not an EU citizen therefore had to arrange the work permit. I saw no way around the conversion issue so I buckled down and completed the process. While I learned very little from the subjects, I got to know the folks in the CAA very well...
I'm quite happy that the conversion is over but moreover, I'm happy to be employed here in Europe. So far it's been extremely satisifying.

I wish you good luck.

Lifter
PS: I'm former USAF with both FAA/JAA ATP licenses as well as an FAA/JAA 73 type.

Check Airman
22nd Apr 2008, 17:23
Well no interest on my behalf...you can keep your utopia there and think by keeping the bar so high where you make it very unaccommodating for prospering pilots to even pass and become a pilot that the notion you have achieved anything from that else that creating a HOSTILE environment for an elitist club like you think you are part of. This is SILLY and does NOT create a more safe airline industry or aviation community than the USA.

We're not talking about stopping somebody who wants to be a private pilot. We're talking about people who will be in command of transport category aircraft on scheduled service. Now I'll readily agree that some percentage of ANY exam is useless and outdated information, but there is some value to the material. There must be some way to weed out those wack-jobs who kinda just flow along and end up in the left seat from those who are serious about the profession. The JAA method is by no means perfect, but it's better than the FAA method. EVERY other professional had to go through rigorous certification exams. Why should pilots be exempt?

Dreamshiner
22nd Apr 2008, 23:06
While doing my ATPL exams on my colleagues was a lecturer in Aerodynamics and Aeronautical Engineering at a prominent UK university.

He conveyed that if the JAA exams were to be audited to the same standard the UK universities are by the professional bodies who accredit the specific subject then it would fail that audit hands down.

Also the fact the results for month A come out 3/4 days after the cut off for month B and you then have to wait till month C if you are unfortunate to fail anything.

The US has its faults, however it has a different attitude to aviation, due to its culture, its vastness and the costs associated, in Europe its still seen as a kind of exclusive, modern day golf club due to the price restriction and some peoples attitudes.

In the US however the ATPL exam is 100 questions, you get your answer immediately and you don't have to pay 14x £60, memorise the erroneous questions after the exam and note them as soon as you leave the room if you want to appeal and study a lot of stuff that was useful to know when we navigated by the stars and sextants. We use GPS, FMC's stuffed full of nav info now.......Hello JAA, you listening!

Why are the two systems different? Its all about territory and politics, its why the UK and Eire drives on the left and the rest of Europe and the US drive on the right, to piss us off when we were the major world power. Its why Catholics and Protestants fight over what entrance kids go to school. It's essentially a how big is your d1ck contest, but to unify under one system, God forbid less your nation of origin loses some face by adopting another ones good ideas.

One thing I do know, an aircraft stalls at exactly the same airspeed in US airspace as it does in any other nation and with £1/€1.25 to $2 it is very attractive.

Also I recently changed my address, I went onto the FAA website, did what was asked of me, 4 minutes later I had paid $2 and a week later I had a little credit card with Wilbur and Orville which fits into my wallet nicely, not the War and Peace-esque plastic pain in the @rse that cost me £450 and an extra £105 for my type rating endorsement (incidentally 1 sheet of A5 folded in half).

I hope my bi-partisan stance on this subject is appreciated.

G-SPOTs Lost
22nd Apr 2008, 23:47
Did my FAA ATP same time I did a JAA LST - 1 exam Clean, ATP, got all my other fAA types added also at the same time.

There must be a shortcut for you, if not I have heard that they are not so challenging for experienced guys.

May I just welcome you over here......... at $10 a gallon and the real rate of income tax at 80% and house prices 4 times the US average together with all the JAA/EASA bull**** and ****e wx...........Stay put mate!

On the other hand getting the damn thing issued is very gratifying.

pg wing tips
23rd Apr 2008, 00:09
I hold both licences and each has its charms. I am by no stretch of the imagination the best pilot in the world but have seen several different training methods.

From the beginning…

The JAA has a hard slog in terms of exams, with a great deal of irrelevant information with regard to flying. This is a shame as it takes away from gaining a deeper understanding of the subjects which matter and ultimately add to flight safety.

The flight tests can be a little formulaic and test certain aspects of your ability to handle an aircraft, never the less they are thorough.

The FAA licence in terms of written exams is just daft, you can know little about aviation and still pass. However this is backed up in a big way by the oral exam that you have to complete before the flight test, this can be tough. You are on the spot with no multi choice answers and an examiner asking you to apply your knowledge.

The flight tests are practical and can be in depth, for example being asked to plan a full commercial flight in a light twin with pax and all the trimmings is not out of the realm of possibilities.

I understand the argument of those who have been flying for a number of years with an FAA licence and ask why do I have to do the JAA exams, what is the value ? It is probably limited, but a good theoretical knowledge base cant be a bad place to start from. Yes I agree some of the information is just daft and I wish it would be taken out, but as an earlier poster said it just another hurdle, just like the oral exam is in the FAA system.

B767PL
23rd Apr 2008, 19:26
747jetdriver,

Completely agree with you and feel your pain on the topic.

Many applicants are not some yahoo, weekend warrior pilots who want to get a JAA ATPL, but experienced airline pilots who have been flying with an airline for even at least 1 or 2 years or more. They should NOT have to start all over to CONVERT a license to a European one. I personally believe it is all about the money, as it costs what? 12-13,000$ to convert now'a'days?... If not make it easier, at least make it cheaper! :*

Weeding out process? HA! The airlines intensive ground and simulator sessions do the weeding out, as well as all the checkrides and tests passed prior. Besides, just because someone can memorise and cram into their cranium all the useless information the JAA wants you to memorise then dump it all the next day, does not make you a competent airline pilot, or pilot period.

Read Rediculous!!!!!!!

Very impractical and all about the $$$$$

JJflyer
24th Apr 2008, 04:09
Me thinks that there is some confusion on what the purpose of licensing is. Just to remind you, JAA exams are not tough to keep foreigners out or protect the market, these are tough to give a good and thorough knowledge to those going for an ATPL.

Today's market in US is far cry from the days when a foreigner could come and sweep hangar floors and live in a camper outside some small FBO. Visas are just simply not enough for anything else than flight instructing or the odd first officer program. To be able to work for pt135 or pt121 operator it is the "Green card" that is required. Those that I know in US flying on the said paper tell me that even then they are subject to all sorts of hassle and additional screening due to the lack of US citizenship.

It is still relatively easy to obtain a work permit for the Schengen countries if there is a company that is willing to hire a foreigner.

The point has been made here about everyone having to go through the process of the said 14 exams. Well yes, this is the case. Hopefully it will change to something where previous experience is taken into account. But today it is what it is. There are for example several hundred EU nationals flying in EU on a non JAA licence on a validation, some of them for years. They have all the knowledge and use JAROPS1 rules on everyday basis pass LPC's OPC's, DGR etc training on regular basis. However should they want to obtain a full JAA ATPL they will still need to go through the 14 exam rumba. I would think that one flying for JAROPS1 AOC holder is more qualified to receive credit, should any be ever given, than one that has no experience in that area

It has been mentioned several times here that these hard exams restrict Europe from hiring experienced and good pilots "From the other side of the pond". I totally disagree. It does not. A person that receives a work permit or is otherwise qualified such as EU passport holders or Right to abode in European countries for other reasons and willing to study and pass the exams are all on the same line.

That said the most lack of SOP compliance and non-standard RT work as well as lack of basic knowledge is in my experience ( As a check and training capt) with those from US. This is not to say that Europeans or other nationalities are never guilty of the said.

As a last note: It seems that EASA implementation will bring some significant changes to the FCL and perhaps rationalise license conversion, at least to some extent.

Dreamshiner
24th Apr 2008, 09:30
Or the politicians and bureaucrats get involved and maintain the status quo or create an extra level of arseyness.

Fingers crossed

Roadtrip
24th Apr 2008, 16:25
Everything, repeat everything, on both side of the Atlantic is money and politics. Practicality, morality, and ethics are quaint anachronisms.

Trolle
25th Apr 2008, 09:20
Hey 747Driver,

Sounds like you are getting screwed if the rules state the following:
ICAO ATPL >>> JAA ATPL (experience >3000 hrs on aeroplanes over 30t MTOW, including >1500 PIC hrs on these)
If you hold a non-JAA ATPL license and have 3000 hours on multi-pilot certified aeroplanes (PIC or co-pilot) with maximum takeoff weight of 30.000 kg or more and have at least 1500 hours as PIC (Captain) on these aircraft you qualify for the exemption in the widest scope. Your experience will be evaluated on individual basis and conversion requirements will be setup for you by the Civil Aviation Authority of the state where you intend to do the flying.

I too am converting my FAA certificates to JAA. Not enough time get around the 14 exams, and they are a bitch and idiotic. Although, the FAA has the same procedure. If someone wants to convert a JAA to FAA certificate they have to go through all the FAA crap too. The only reciprocity is at the private pilot level (here the FAA suffices with limited paperwork while the JAA want approximately 1,000 USD depending on the country). My point is that both legislative organisations require the same thing, "if you want our certificates you have to go through the same level of training as other candidates." I might even be able to stretch it and say that the JAA has at least a structure in place for high experienced pilots, while the FAA does not as far as I can tell.

However, the JAA does appear to want to create an aura of exclusivity and make it damn tough to go through the training. I was told that the JAA wants to have some respect and want to make the training equivalent to two years of college. Remember, many pilots in the EU do not take a univeristy degree at the same or on the side; some do but it is not often a requirement to have a degree as in the US.

Good luck with the exams. Once you get past those the toughest part is over.

JJflyer
25th Apr 2008, 13:38
Trolle.

Y are slightly mistaken. Only country in Europe that allows for that rule is UK and with that you will only get a RESTRICTED JAA ATPL. Restricted in the sense that you are only allowed to fly UK registered aircraft.

relax.jet
25th Apr 2008, 14:26
You pass all 14 exams. The database is the same like in other JAA countries. Exams are exactly the same. You never repeat one, you are always over 90%, and the question bank is not public in this country. And than you have your licence issued according JAA, BUT your CAA didn’t pass the JAA audit! Consequently you have all exams according to JAA but because CAA didn’t pass audit your licence are not accepted in other JAA countries.

…..all exams done, flying over Europe, the same airspace, same airports, same airplanes BUT the licence is just state CAA licence, according JAA.

:mad: it all! :ugh:

GlueBall
26th Apr 2008, 10:55
Interesting topic. But, curiously, after all these years of JAA exam hysteria, no business oriented pilot has yet produced a CD [for sale] of the 14 exams' questions and answers? :eek:

youngskywalker
26th Apr 2008, 12:48
Do a search on ebay and you will find dozens of cd's with the question banks! I'm not sure they could be easily remembered though without doing the study also!