PDA

View Full Version : Just in case...

BUSH PILOT
21st Apr 2008, 11:57
Hi all, I posted a similar question on the D&G forum as I am in Australia, but I guess my question doesn't really matter where you come from.

Basically I am wondering what kind of options there are for pilots if you lose your medical and can't fly anymore. At the moment I have nearly finished my CPL but am thinking I should go to uni to get a degree as a back up, but I would really rather just get straight into flying instead of spending another 4 years studying.

So, wondering what other people have done, or would do if they lost their medicals. Is a degree very helpful If you haven't actually used it for 10+ years?

Thanks for your help:ok:

Yarpy
23rd Apr 2008, 16:30
Thought provoking. As flying is such an unstable profession it really is a help to have other qualifications or strings to your bow. It depends what your degree is in as to whether it will get you job ten years after you have graduated.

Rugbyears
23rd Apr 2008, 18:05
Hmm, sobering thought. I’m actually en-route to the fATPL, the pound signs are rapidly decreasing as we speak…Posting!. At present I am working as a temping teacher to finance this change of direction in my professional career. If things were to fold in upon themselves, I would hope to return to this previous profession. Therefore, in answer to your question, I am a firm believer in being proactive in your approach to life, thus, I would seriously recommend you set in place a ‘get out clause’. Whether this be a Degree, a Diploma or relevant Employment experience, something to redirect to in an emergency. Furthermore, there are insurers where one is able to conduct a policy which would ease the initial financial burden in such a scenario.

I know, all sounds rather negative; however, it is always better to plan for worst case scenario!!! You wouldn’t cross the road without looking would you..?

BUSH PILOT
24th Apr 2008, 06:17
I've just had a brain wave and would be interested to hear other peoples opinions, but say you did loose your medical, but had an instructing background and X-years in an airline, would there be any reason why you couldn't still instruct in a simulator for an airline??
I assume the medical requirements for such a job are not nearly as stringent as those for a line pilot?

Rugbyears
24th Apr 2008, 16:20
I don't see why not, as long as one as received sufficient training and achieved the appropriate level!

Oh that's super!
26th Apr 2008, 11:28
Bush pilot - sim instructor jobs do not normally require one to hold a medical, so as long as you are fit enough to undertake the task & schedule, you can theoretically work as a sim instructor. But whether you would find a job without having been a trainer in the airline environment and having sufficient experience on type would be another matter.