PDA

View Full Version : IR Currency

BounceBounceLand
20th Apr 2008, 12:49
Hi,

Just a quick question.... with an Instrument Rating, what are the currency requirements to fly as PIC on an IFR flight?

Thanks

BBL

Mercenary Pilot
20th Apr 2008, 12:55
--------------------------------------------------
E1.5 IR(A) RE-VALIDATION AND RENEWAL
Validity

An IR(A) is valid for a period of one year from the date
of issue or renewal, or from the expiry date of a current
IR(A) if revalidated in accordance with JAR-FCL
1.246(a).

Re-validation of an IR (A)
An IR(A) shall be revalidated within the three months
immediately preceding the expiry date of the rating.
Whenever possible, revalidation of an IR(A) shall be
combined with the proficiency check for revalidation of
a type or class rating

--------------------------------------------------

Does that answer your question?

BounceBounceLand
20th Apr 2008, 13:36
Hi Mercenary Pilot,

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of this, was wondering if you had to, for example, do 'X' amount of ILS approaches to keep it current in the short term?

thanks

BBL

Mercenary Pilot
20th Apr 2008, 13:43
No, in regards to the IR itself, you don't have to do a set amount of hours/sectors/approaches etc.

:ok:

adverse-bump
21st Apr 2008, 14:43
i think,

to carry pax you need 3 ifr app in 90 days.

might be wrong...

sparx007
21st Apr 2008, 16:01
yeh i think thats what my air law exam said last week or so.....3 IFR approaches in last 90 days.

Simon150
30th Aug 2008, 22:02
Is this right? I have spent the last 3 hours trawling through the ANO etc and can't find any reference to this........

I found the requirement for 3 tos/ldgs and the night requirement (doesnt apply to IR rated) but nothing on IF approaches....

D O Guerrero
31st Aug 2008, 12:43
The 3 takeoffs and landings is nothing to do with the IR. It is valid for 12 months.

Keygrip
31st Aug 2008, 17:25
You can't revalidate any rating that has expired more than three months ago.

chrisbl
31st Aug 2008, 20:31
No you have to do the skills test again

mattpilot
31st Aug 2008, 20:37
but thats essentially the same as a proficiency check, no?

pipertommy
1st Sep 2008, 07:57
Less full on as the IRT, my one was far more relaxed. But still have know your stuff. If you have done it once you can do it again. Good Luck

Mikehotel152
1st Sep 2008, 08:21
I may be wrong, but the 3 approaches in 90 days reference is for night flying with pax. Possibly...

Shunter
1st Sep 2008, 08:34
Nothing to do with approaches. IR is valid for 12 months, end of. No requirements to do anything to maintain it during that period.

To carry pax, 3 take-offs/landings in last 90 days. If carrying pax at night, 1 of those take-offs/landings must have been at night. FAA IR has approach currency requirements, but then it doesn't have to be revalidated in the same way the JAA IR does.

Perfectly legal to do an IR reval on new years day, fly VFR the whole year, then shoot an approach to minima on new years eve. Stupid perhaps, but perfectly legal.

Sleepybhudda
28th Feb 2009, 19:57
If you were going to Revalidate your JAA SPA/SE IR using the credit of a MPA/IR the you need to have done 3 IFR Departures and Approaches in the previous 12 months. Maybe this is where the 3 approaches comes from....