PDA

View Full Version : MORE TO ASIA THAN CX

MACH777
22nd May 2001, 14:58
HI FELLOW PPRUNERS

Im a young GA pilot in OZ starting the gradual process of achieving 4 digits in the log book. All threads concerning employment for young hopefuls like myself seem to be based solely on Cathay Pacific.
I'm lucky that I have age on my side having just turned 20 with CPL ME/CIR and Grade 3 Instructor rating with a great job doing a variety of things.
18-24 months down the track with 1000 hours and some twin time (if all goes to plan)is there any other airline in asia worth targetting.

I will probably send a CV to Cathay (crazy not to I suppose) but there must be someone else willing to employ pilots from OZ with "low" level of experience.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Sick Squid
24th May 2001, 11:59
I've just deleted two utterly useless posts on this topic. Either answer this genuine question or don't bother posting.

Sick Squid
Far East Forum Moderator

Kaptin M
24th May 2001, 14:00
Yes MACH777, I believe that in 18-24 months, if things continue as they are at present - and there's no reason to believe they won't - that you will be pretty much in the "box seat" to choose a job that will advance your career fairly quickly. About 4 or 5 years back, young pilots with experience similar to yours were taken on by Countries such as Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia, and employed as F/O's on turbine and jet equipment. We now have one such guy - a 28 year old New Zealander - who has joined the company I work for, as a B737 captain, on a salary and conditions that would equate to well over $300k AUD's. Asia, in general, does NOT have a lot of young pilots waiting for airline prospects, and as a result when Asian airlines undergo rapid expansion, they are "forced" to take non-nationals. This may happen again, before your 18-24 month estimate, and it will be up to you to leave the "security blanket" of Australia to further your career.

Unfortunately, there is no real career path as a First Officer (as honourable as the position is), and you will need to get your command as quickly as possible - preferably on jet equipment.

Hope this is of some help.

Avgas100
25th May 2001, 12:07
Hi Kaptain M,

I've currently got 850 hours, 150 multi. Just wondering what the possibility of getting a job in Asia if I was willing to pay for a type rating (B737 for example).

Do you have contact details for any Asian airlines? Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated.