PDA

View Full Version : Japanese ATPL How tough ?

2XL
14th May 2001, 16:14
Is there anyone who has recently completed the Japanese ATPL licence ?

How did you find the theory, exams etc etc ?

Any insights most welcome, thanks.

thegypsy
17th May 2001, 17:44
2XL re Japan ATPL Idid it several years ago for ANA it took 5months to complete and it was heavy going. Job only lasted a year and got made redundant,good leaving present though.
I believe it has now been shortened and is easier because more people have done it and we were perhaps guinea pigs. Are you thinking of Skymark Do Do??

2XL
27th May 2001, 01:30
Just bringing this one back for comments.

Kaptin M
27th May 2001, 02:52
Are you doing it on your own, or through an airline employer?

2XL
27th May 2001, 13:02
My enquiry is in reference to an Airline sponsored sudy/training program.

Let us hypothetically use Air Japan 767 jobs as an example, and you already held several ICAO ATPL licences.

Kaptin M
27th May 2001, 16:59
LL, it wouldn't matter if you held a licence for EVERY country in the world - except Japan. They see their system, country, and conditions, as something unique. So you'll have to do the requirements as JCAB dictate...there is NO validation of a gaijin licence to a Japanese one.

Air Japan (for example) will train - and provide - you, with the "required information" (including your correct seat position) - which you will be required to regurgitate "word-for-word", on the day. (Get the picture? If you follow "The System", you WILL succeed....try to put your own interpretation on things, and you'll fail!

It's another Asian country! Just follow the flow.

2XL
27th May 2001, 21:51
Thanks "M" , straight down the line then as expected. Oh well no surprises then I guess?

Kaptin M
28th May 2001, 00:54
No surprises, if you've worked under this type of system before. Be confident that at exam time you'll have covered (and re-covered) the Q&A's several times over. Try not to become disillusioned that you'll be asked to read out the phoenetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie, delta,...) as part of the requirement for the issue of your radio licence, even though you have in excess of 10,000 hours, and that the final sim check is more like a well rehearsed scene from a play (woe betide you, if you miss a line) that places primary emphasis on the acting and the oral, rather than the manipulative skills. The term "parrot fashion" would probably best describe what you'll need to achieve, in the classroom, and the simulator.

QNH1013
28th May 2001, 12:35
ha ha, reminds me of the CAAS exams at Changi I did once apon a time....you could complete the morse code signals test before the tape has finished playing. ATPL questions you knew the answer before you finished reading the question (sometimes)

The UK CAA study and exams were a shocking difference to me! :-) Totally different story.
Good and interesting experience though and much better of course.