PDA

View Full Version : UAE Maps for TOM TOM Navigator?

Driver of Buses
19th Apr 2008, 23:04
I'm running Tom Tom navigator on my PDA and was wondering if anyone has map files for the UAE?

Thanks

gcaflyer
2nd May 2008, 00:38
I called TOM TOM for my dash mount unit and no maps nor any planned. not sure for the handheld.

BigGeordie
2nd May 2008, 06:07
Garmin seem to have the market sewn up in the Middle East- the units are widely available and so are the maps- about 600Dhs for a Middle East map if you already have the head unit.

Driver of Buses
2nd May 2008, 07:32
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a PDA Phone with Tom Tom and seem to get the same response from other sources.

It might end up easier to buy one of those dedicated car units pre installed with local maps. I'll continue the quest and post here if I find a solution.

V1650
3rd May 2008, 08:11
Just purchased the HTC touch cruise, comes with copilot live and a free subscription of the GCC maps. Works well.

ataboy
3rd May 2008, 18:44
Hi:

Did you purchase the HTC in Dubai?

iraqi
4th May 2008, 03:13
when it comes to Dubai and the GCC, the options are fairly limited
you can have Co-Pilot www.alk.com, this covers the whole of the GCC
or, you can use Destinator
or Navigon, www.navigon.com
All of the above engines use one source of maps, which is Navteq.
As mentioned previously, the HTC Touch Cruise Deluxe comes with Co-Pilot GCC Maps. Or you can buy the HTC TytnII, this comes with a tester map for a city of your choice.
The problem you will face is that, the maps of Dubai will always seem to be wrong, because they only get updated once or twice a year... they simply can not keep up with the fast changes happening in Dubai.

Driver of Buses
4th May 2008, 08:53
Hi V1650,

A good choice. A friend of mine has one of these and it is an amazing bit of technology. He bought it overseas and paid the equivalent to AED3500 for it. As you have the GCC maps I assume you purchased it in UAE? If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?