PDA

View Full Version : First post, some queries.

wilky
19th Apr 2008, 20:26
Hi folks,

Well after trawling through the forums looking for as much info as possible, and searching the web I've finally come to the decision of going the modular route to gain my fATPL.

I'm in a fortunate position now where I work offshore on a 2 weeks on, 3 weeks off rotation earning a reasonable wage. This gives me a great advantage of getting training in on my time off and working like a madman doing overtime and extra trips offshore to fund it. I dont fancy getting into £70000 worth of debt in the present crisis going down the integrated route.

I'm located in Edinburgh and seriously considering using Tayside aviation to take me through PPL, CPL etc. Glasgow nautical studies college has stopped it's ATPL groundschool, which was my original plan, so i'm going to look at distance learning instead. Does anyone have any recent experience of Tayside aviation and their training?
I know there are a lot of posts of USA v UK for training, I can every few months extend my leave to 4 weeks off, so if i'm doing all my licences is it worth going to the states 4 weeks at a time. I've been informed if i'm flying privately in the UK its best to do training here.

The other advantage is that when eventually finish my training I will be able to continue working offshore until I get a job, presuming I pass my training of course! realistically, I will be looking at FI or ferrying to gain hours whilst waiting on that elusive commercial job, turboprop, jet, cargo, I dont care, I just want to fly.

Does anyone have any other suggestions I have overlooked. I have searched the forums already, there is so much different advice out there for different people wanting different things, just seeing if anyone with training experience can guide me a little.
I'll be 27 when I start training so perhaps 30 by the time I'm done, not too old for a career change is it?

Thanks for reading and any replies

preduk
19th Apr 2008, 21:15
Check out Tayside without a doubt, they are a very good school and I plan on using them in the future.

The good thing about Tayside is that you can do pretty much the whole course with them (apart from groundschool) including the MCC on a Kingair simulator which is due to be open in the next couple of months. Many of their instructors have ended up with jobs at Scotairways, Loganair, Eastern etc

If your looking to do your groundschool distance learning, I would have a look at Bristol GS. In my personal opinion, they are one of the best schools in the UK (some may disagree though).

I wouldn't recommend flying in the states, I've yet to come across an ex-airline pilot/flight instructor who has recommended it.

wilky
20th Apr 2008, 06:26
excellent, thanks for that. That was one of the reasons I fancied Tayside as they do all the licences there, i'd like to keep the continuity. And it's only an hour away. Want to get started in the next couple of months. But first things first..medical to be done!

Mikehotel152
20th Apr 2008, 07:21
Hi Wilky.

It sounds like you're in an enviable position, having the time and money to take the plunge into commercial aviation. Good luck.

I don't know anything about Tayside but I'd definitely train with them rather than head overseas, especially if they can do all of the PPL/CPL/ME/IR/MCC in one place. It sounds perfect for your situation. You get to stay local, keep your income, and start living your dream. Flying training itself is such fun mate.

I'd recommend using Bristol Ground School for the distance learning part of the ATPL. Excellent reputation, materials and online support. The course is incredibly flexible, allowing you to fit the study and exams around your job. Don't forget that the distance learning course requires two periods of a fortnight each when you'll be required to attend the school's HQ at Cheddar, plus a week of exams following each revision course - just thinking of your leave allowance.

Welcome to Pprune. :)

MH152

wilky
3rd May 2008, 16:05
Well all booked up for the PPL start in 2 weeks time. Visited Glenrothes and they seemed a good bunch, 2 of the instructors are off to the airlines. Training in the Grob 115D, it was either that or the C152. Cant wait.

Rugbyears
3rd May 2008, 20:15
I would seriously recommend anyone considering the PPL to first experience the trial flight – I have been observant on more then two occasions where individuals have booked a set block hours on the PPL course, whilst making a hefty advanced payment prior to commencing any flying, and guess what..? They despised the whole experience. Fortunately they were able to obtain a full refund, minus the trial flight, although not all FTO are like that though! Get the first one over with than GO FOR IT!!!!!

daydreamer89
3rd May 2008, 20:40
Just out of curiosity, are you working offshore as an engineer?

wilky
4th May 2008, 10:56
I'm a inspection engineer and abseilor, do mostly Non destructive Testing like ultrasonics on pipework and welds etc etc, moneys good but boring as hell. No need for trial flight I have been up loads as passenger and taken controls, wanted to fly as a living for as long as I can remember. Dont care what, or who for. But first things first, PPL to be done. Hoping to do it in around 6 months if possible.

Rugbyears
4th May 2008, 11:46
I’m sure you will be fine, more so if you have experienced flying a small aircraft, you will note the experience is somewhat different to going on holiday on 737. I wasn’t trying to put you off, it doesn’t matter to me one bit – I was merely generalising, pointing out to those who intend completing a PPL to first have a trial flight prior to block booking.

Your timeframe is easily achievable within 6 months, as long as you intend training intensively during your onshore period, as the weather will play some part in your training.

I worked for Philips Petroleum Co Norway on the Ekofisk Field – I gave that up for much of the same reason ‘Boring’, once the novelty factor wore off, it was the same thing over and over for 14 days at a time, ended up more like a prison sentence that you received payment for, albeit, the money was rather good!

Best of luck!

wilky
4th May 2008, 14:21
Oh I didnt think you were trying to put me off, totally see your point. Yeah it's definately like doing time when you're offshore, the views not up to much (unless your a seagull anorak). I've not been in the Norweigen sector yet but I hear their standards are far better than ours. I just have to say to myself everytime I board the chopper..."Its a mean to an end" or somethin like that! 6 days down....9 to go...Bugger!:ugh:But brightside I'll be flying if the weather permits when i'm back on Terra Firma.

Curvature
4th May 2008, 16:08
Hi Wilky,

I also hail from Edinburgh and am currently training at Tayside Aviation at Dundee Airport. If you want any specifics please feel free to PM me. I would also re-iterate other forum members advice in regard to doing your ATPL through Bristol GS. By far the best.

Best of luck with your flying
:ok:

no sponsor
4th May 2008, 16:24
Wilky,

I did what you are about to do - I worked to pay for my training and have no debts. I now fly the 737.

I completed the BGS distance learning course - you should be able to coincide the residential part of the course with your three weeks off, and also complete the exams. I did however take off 3 months to complete my professional flying licences, which is recommended.

Nice to see there are still others who have a sensible approach to getting your licence, as opposed to putting yourself into ridiculous amounts of debt.

Good luck to you.

preduk
4th May 2008, 17:32
The Grob 115 is a cracking aircraft, I enjoyed flying it with the RAF (much better than the C152!)

Let us know how you get on with the training.

wilky
4th May 2008, 17:51
ahh, I've just changed it to a 172, as they have 2 at the airfield, availability was better, and also when it comes to doing hour building I would like the 4 seats for taking family up.

G SXTY
6th May 2008, 09:31
A good choice. The 172 is a solid, dependable, trainer / tourer that's pretty much idiot proof. It's the Ford Mondeo of the light aircraft world.

I would also recommend Bristol for the groundschool; their notes are superb and the instruction during the brush-up phase is superb.

Think carefully before training outside of the UK. Florida prices and weather may seem attractive, but I've met several people who were well behind the curve during IR training, largely because their PPL / CPL training had been abroad and they were unfamiliar with UK airspace and RT. One guy had trained in the US and managed to get a JAA CPL without ever having tracked an NDB, which cost him time and money when it came to the IR.

student88
6th May 2008, 09:57
Bristol Ground School are fantastic but be honest with yourself with regards to your capability to study on your own! I've found it hard enough to get my PPL exams done let alone the ATPLS! I'm the sort of person who needs to go away and attend lessons and be taught by a person with people around me in the same boat. My bedroom is far too comfortable for me to study in which is why I've decided not to opt for BGS and go to London Met.

Good Luck!

S88

wilky
5th Jun 2008, 11:43
Thanks for all the advice guys and gals. I'm back offshore now but managed to squeeze in 5 lessons in my time off, would have been more if it wasn't for the crap Scottish weather! No worries though, looks like I should be taking my time to complete everything now anyway in light of the current situation with regards to "Oil Price Crisis". Once I have the PPL i'll be timing further training carefully until things look brighter.