PDA

View Full Version : EK now Charging for Utilities...

dusty777
19th Apr 2008, 18:48
Spoke with a friend in the Silcone Oasis and word is they are now doing the rounds to see who has extra electrical outlets and perhaps a pool in the yard.
EK will now gladly split the utilities 50/50.. Again no option or appeal review..
It may cost more than you know here in the Oasis...

Driver of Buses
19th Apr 2008, 22:59
I suppose that's the way management are going to attempt to tackle the unofficial high inflation rate, lower their operating costs and still maintain their bonuses.

Good to see that management all around the world think the same....

halas
20th Apr 2008, 01:29
That old chestnut has been "doing the rounds" for a year now.

Name one person who has been asked to cough-up.

I know of no-one.

halas

Alconguin Crusader
20th Apr 2008, 04:49
Not yet halas but the time is coming because as you know it only goes down hill at Emirates. It never gets better just worse. After all they have to find $100 million in savings or they don't get their bonus while we the line pilots contunie to slave at all hours of the night. I would be willing to bet you any amount of money that the day of reckoning is coming and we will have to pay in more ways than one. Count on it because it is Emirates and we all know how they operate.

Payscale
20th Apr 2008, 05:41
Thats fair enough. I live outside accommodation and have to pay for my water. EK pays me 12000 AED a month towards rent and utilities. Yes I chose to move out, but thats not the topic.
I have seen AC units in open garages and all sorts off power waste.
I bet the same guys leave the ac on 24-7 when they go on vacation for a month. The thing has a timer for a reason...

Point is, even if it is free think green and help save energy and ultimately my bonus 2009 ;)

OK..I AM READY FOR IT.....:ouch:

5star
20th Apr 2008, 06:12
Fair enough, guys with pools or hottubs should pay out of their pockets for elec and water.
Payscale. Some have dogs or cats in the house. Ever thought of maids ? I WILL leave the AC ON 24/7 in the summer incl during my leave, climate change or not.

BigGeordie
20th Apr 2008, 06:44
Since DEWA introduced the "slab tariff" system, so the more you use the more you pay per unit, I would imagine Emirates DEWA bills have gone through the roof and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to do something about it. It is an easy target for money saving and they can dress it up as being a green thing.

The fact remains it is almost criminal the way some people (but by no means all) in company accommodation waste water and electricity. It is entirely up to you if you want to leave your a/c on all day and all night, or hose down the drive every day, or turn your back garden into a swamp, but you should be prepared to pay for it.

Ketek400
20th Apr 2008, 07:07
:=Waste not- want not!!!!!

gl69
20th Apr 2008, 08:42
Emirates is not paying the rates that we as consumers are paying. They get a break. Now I am not saying it is okay to waste far from it but just because someone on the outside is paying 5000 dhs a month for electricity and water does not mean Emirates is.

woodja51
20th Apr 2008, 08:44
Is a bit rich to worry about the cost or economy of use in water and electricity when the locals pay 1/3 rd for electricity and water/sewerage/housing fees are free to them...hence the villa lights on all night etc.

When the slab applies to everyone here then maybe the guys in company accom might think about slowing down the use of it... I pay for mine and it does change your attitude obviously to leaving lights/ac etc on unnecessarily.

Maybe the solution is to give a power/water allowance and what you dont spend you keep... but of course it wont be enough just like the housing allowance to cover the costs...so back to square one...Easily worked out too - take the total utilities cost and divide by total villas and index at 15% pa - that might work...

oh - they could fix the roads so you don't have to travel miles in the wrong direction before turning around and go in the original direction you wanted..What IS that about!!

woodja

mensaboy
20th Apr 2008, 14:53
Woodja,

''oh - they could fix the roads so you don't have to travel miles in the wrong direction before turning around and go in the original direction you wanted..What IS that about!!''

Simple answer to your comment is this........... the average driver in Dubai cannot be trusted to carry out a Left Hand turn........ unless it is at an intersection with an advanced green light.

This explains the insanity of the road structure in Dubai. Every medium range trip I do takes about 20% longer because as you pointed out, it is impossible to go from A to B without first passing C and D. Just imagine if the road structure and drivers were acceptable, that would immediately reduce traffic congestion.

Damn I hate driving in the city, it is a constant reminder of the stupidity, selfishness and arrogance of the average citizen living here.

(pardon the thread creep)

harry the cod
22nd Apr 2008, 12:22

"pools, hot tubs etc are NORMAL home fixtures......"

Too long in Dubai my friend. Way too long!

Harry

Sheikh-It-Easy
22nd Apr 2008, 13:03
We're getting nuclear power anyway so it'll be fine. We won't have to pay for utilities. They signed the accord a few days ago - chill out guys.

felixthecat
3rd May 2008, 05:03
Its such a hard life when you have a pool and a hot tub in your garden ....oh and heaven forbid you may possibly one day when the shamal is in the right direction have to pay to run it too?

OMG its a disgrace!......Wake up and smell the roses my friend!:ugh:

There are companies out there that dont even provide water to the flight deck

Wizofoz
3rd May 2008, 05:10
So, Dusty started this thread with a title which was a definitive statement, and which is simply UNTRUE.

Would it not be appropriate to change the title?

dusty777
4th May 2008, 01:43
My intention was to indicate the changing contractual conditions. Bit by bit your original deal is sliding. The fact tat you have not yet received a revised utility plan does not mean there is no plan to do so..
For the new folks, its great; for the not so new you may remember a time when there were no restricitions on your monthly bidding, you were paid for duty time, you could take 30 days vacation at one time. You could even golf at a local course if that was your way out. just a few changes of note.
I agree the deal may be sweat for a new comer who previously flew 4 or 5 sorties per day. However one after another 18 hour duty followed by all night east bound in an alumin(i)um tube may find you remembering the 'good ole days'.
Again the point being the reshaping and resizing the goal posts (or gaol posts)..
One day Mr Murray will remember when his original deal was better than he will have it. Of course he may have a pretty sweat deal now...

Keep Recovering.

kingpost
4th May 2008, 02:11
Dusty777

If you don't like it give back the bonus and leave - people like you find an excuse to bitch about anything.

Goodbye and good luck

Wizofoz
4th May 2008, 03:00
Dusty,

The thread title is Emirates NOW charging for utilities- it isn't so that's a false statement.

How about I start a thread titled Emirates NOW gives a 50% pay rise- What sort of reaction would I get?

Speculating on future events is one thing. Stating something is when it isn't is basically telling lies.

dooner
4th May 2008, 17:55
Well he is not that far wrong, perhap a little behind the times ,it was a fact that 2 years ago a proposal was put to HH to bill every pilot living in company Accom 1500 Dibs per month for "their share" of the utilities cost for the villa.

The Sheihk back-heeled it very quickly, will he do the same in the future...only time will tell!

Dooner:ok: