PDA

View Full Version : Age issues (too old to start?)

marcpanton
19th Apr 2008, 18:36
Hi all,

SO having read up on the integrated Vs module debate and other threads (and google searches) I cannot find any discussions of the max age to start training if you want to end up on a regional airline (ie short haul jet fleet).

I'm 34 and would be able to fund a 0 - fATPL in around 2 years (aiming 2 qualify in time for the economy to pick up again in 2010...)

but is a 36 year old fATPL too old?

Marc

aircraftmick
19th Apr 2008, 19:34
Hi ya,
I'm 34 this year and from what i have seen age isn't a big issue.
Although i have had a PPL for a number of years i'm due to finish my
ATPL exams in July.
Go for it,specially if your'e able to fund it.

Goodluck
Mick

Whirlygig
19th Apr 2008, 19:38
Found_on_page_2_of_this_forum! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51690)

Cheers

Whirls

richatom
20th Apr 2008, 09:30
I think the question is impossible to answer as no employer will tell you that you are too old as that is against the law. So you never know if your CV has been hoofed in the bin because of your age, or because other aspects of your profile do not fit.

Having said that, I know a lot of pilots of your age who have had no problem finding work and have had a good career. Sometimes age/maturity can be an asset, especially in business jets where pax like to see grey hair up front, and also in terms of cockpit synergy as it can be easier for an ageing captain to relate to a more mature, though not necessarily experienced, copilot.