PDA

View Full Version : Help for Lufthansa pax

KC-10 Driver
19th Apr 2008, 08:13
I'm hoping that someone reading this post can offer help for friends of mine who are flying on Lufthansa today, from Frankfurt to Chicago.

Here's the story: The parents of one of my co-workers are flying home today after visiting my co-worker here in Germany. My friend's mother threw out her back yesterday, and is in extreme pain.

They called the United Airlines (the tickets were purchased from United, using frequent flier miles), to see if they could change the departure date to allow time for her back to heal. United told them that they could not change the flight, and would have to purchase new tickets (very expensive at the last minute).

They realize they will have to travel today. However, I'd like to ask if anyone can offer advice on how they could possibly get an upgrade. If my friend's 65 year old mother has to sit in a coach seat for 9+ hours, she'll be in agony. A business or first class seat will at least allow her to lie horizontally, or almost horizontally.

Any advice is much appreciated. They are traveling on LH 432 today (19 Apr), FRA-ORD. Please PM if you prefer.

UniFoxOs
19th Apr 2008, 08:54
In panic mode when something like this happens a lot of people start to deal with the problem and forget to check their insurance. Cost of hotel/later flight may be covered, alternatively cost of upgrade. Personal experience here - last year I had to stay in Melbourne 9 extra days due to illness and rebook - insurance covered the lot, but I had to get doctors letters.

If all else fails and she can't blag or buy an upgrade I would try to get a window and aisle seat at the back - the back seats are often emptier than the front (never figured out why, they get there same time) and chances are there would be nobody in the centre seat. This would give a chance for husband to ask for a move, and she could have the row of three to lie down. I'm sure CC would be sympathetic.

Best wishes to her, anyway
UFO

SXB
19th Apr 2008, 09:02
KC-10
Their first call should be to their insurers (travel and medical) and if there is a medical reason for them not to travel the insurer will pick up any extra costs involving changing of flights. If they've travelled without sufficient insurance they could try the credit card company with which they paid for the flight, depending on the type of card they may be able to help (I realise it's an award flight but there would have been something to pay anyway)

Be aware that if the passenger looks unfit to fly then Lufthansa may refuse to carry your friends mother.

As for an upgrade, are there any more miles available to purchase one ?

In anycase, I think the best course of action is to contact the travel insurers.

KC-10 Driver
19th Apr 2008, 10:49
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the flight is overbooked in both coach and business (two class only) -- so virtually no chance of an upgrade.

Turns out the husband's ticket was frequent flier miles, but the wife's was purchased with a credit card. They're talking to the CC company to see what insurance may have been attached to the ticket.

In the meantime, I went on seatguru.com and advised them on the best possible seat requests.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.