PDA

View Full Version : 2 screen display problem

TimS
19th Apr 2008, 06:34
Help !!!

Proud owner of a new Sony Vaio laptop (Vista).

Have been using with an additional monitor (on which I normally place windows that i am monitoring but not using).

The second monitor is positioned to the left of the main (laptop) screen - you can select the chosen position and which screen is the primary screen from Vaio Control Centre (which disables the equivalent control in Windows).

On rebooting yesterday, for reasons best known to Mr Gates and or Mr Sony the second monitor had repositioned itself to the right of the main/laptop screen.

No problem it would seem - simply go to Vaio Control Centre and switch it back (as I did a couple of times previously), BUT ....

The Vaio Control Centre is still living to the left of the main screen - my cursor recognises that the main screen 'stops' at the left margin and will not go off and fetch the Vaio Control Centre window!

My Outlook Send/Receive Progress window is also hanging out in the ether to the left of my main screen (and there may be others).

Any idea how I can fetch them back into the real world ?

Keygrip
19th Apr 2008, 12:16
Forgive the potential thread hijack - but I get very similar issues using nVidia Control Panel.

One computer insists (and refuses to be taught) that the screen on the left is actually on the right, and vice-versa. So mousie goes off the left edge of the left screen to appear on the right edge of the right screen (picture it).

I can switch them - until I click "OK", then they switch back.

TimS - are you sure you are still in "Dual Monitor" mode and that it hasn't switched itself to "Single Monitor" again and splitting the whole image into two halves. (Didn't explain that very well, but *I* know what I mean, lol).

TimS
19th Apr 2008, 13:39
I am pretty sure it is still in two screen mode (with the second screen on the right rather than the left where I would prefer it) - I can't be a 100% certain though because the window which would show this and change it back insists on 'opening' to the left of the main screen where there is no screen to actually display it !