PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue & Virgin America

soseg
19th Apr 2008, 05:32
just a random question... wondering if anyone here knows the answer

Virgin Blue here in Australia fly 737-800/900s from what I'm aware... but in the US they fly A319 and a320s... im just wondering why the diff choice? both are domestic markets and probably similar audience targets, ie LCC or abouts there

I've been to the US and you barely ever saw anyone flying airbus especially domestically... just a hell of a lot 737s 757s 767s and MD-80s...

Just want to know whats the advantage/disadvantage in flying either aircraft type either here or over in the US in terms of $$$ etc

Thanks

Lasiorhinus
19th Apr 2008, 05:41
Virgin Blue and Virgin America are two completely independent companies, each making decisions on their fleets based on their own independent markets.

Perhaps Virgin America just wanted to operate a fleet that was not built in America, or perhaps they actually decided the baby 'buses were the best aircraft available for their requirements.

Ref + 10
19th Apr 2008, 05:51
soseg,

Last time I was in the states the same was true. All american heavy metal to be seen everywhere. This latest time I flew on an A319 and saw a whole heap of 320, 330, 340 aircraft around. UPS even have an A300 freighter parked on the ramp at Wichita! The 330's and 40's were international carriers but American Airlines alone seems to have quite a few A type aircraft flying around.

That being said, the Boeing/MD/any US type are still prevalent.

DeaLMeouT
19th Apr 2008, 06:05
soseg,
i think you will find there are more A320's getting around the US than you might think. United, North West, Frontier, Spirit, US Airways/America West all operate an extensive A320 family fleet. Having said that Boeing does have a stronger presence.

chimbu warrior
19th Apr 2008, 12:22
Not to mention JetBlue, Spirit, USA 3000, (and until a week ago Skybus) are all A320 operators.

Fedex operate one of the largest A300-600 and A310 fleets in the world, UPS operate A300-600's, Pan Am operated A300's and A310's, Eastern operated A300's, Delta operated A310's (not sure if they still do), and American also operate A300-600's. Northwest operate A330's, and Hawaiian have just ordered a heap of A330's and A350's.

Definitely more than just Boeing and McDoug products flying in US skies.

Flyingblind
19th Apr 2008, 13:29
I seem to remember a similar question a while back, not concerning Virgin America but VB as we know them today.

BG was asked the question why they picked the Boeing product for Virgin Blue and i seem to think the answer was simply "We got them for a VERY good price" read = Boeing wanted to keep Airbus outta OZ and sharpened their pencil to such an extent that there offer was too good to refuse.

Other than that and what was whispered here on PPRuNe who knows what goes on behind closed corporate doors?

Peter Fanelli
19th Apr 2008, 17:44
but American Airlines alone seems to have quite a few A type aircraft flying around.

American Airlines has only 34 Airbus aircraft out of a total fleet of 655 aircraft, and they were inherited from somewhere if I'm not mistaken.