PDA

View Full Version : Canadian ATPL to Australian ATPL

lowandslow2006
19th Apr 2008, 03:38
Evening,

Thanks

jay700
19th Apr 2008, 04:11
I converted a US ATP to an Oz ATPL which required me to take the Oz Air Law written exam. I used the ATC (Aviation Theory Centre) text book on air law. I am sure you could order one online. The written exam has to be taken in Australia.

stillcallozhome
11th May 2008, 17:51
Jay700,

Have you had any luck with jobs yet? Reason I ask, I am trying to find out which of the majors require you to do the 7 ATPL exams rather than just doing the air law exam and getting the conversion.

Unhinged
11th May 2008, 22:00
The conversion requirements and the best training organisations have been canvassed many times in these fora.

You'll have to pass CPL Air Law, ATPL Air Law, IREX and a Command Instrument Rating flight test. (Don't need IR if it's helicopter, of course)

http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/exams/cyber/convexam.htm

AFT and Bob Tait are the two names that crop up the most.

stillcallozhome
13th May 2008, 18:03
Cheers for the fast reply. Im aware of all thats required to convert back. My question is in regards to which airlines require you to do all 7 ATPL exams regardless? I got my CPL and CIR in OZ then converted it to FAA. Just wondering if you know or know of anyone that has contacts in recruitment at Qantas or VB that can give me a definitive answer? I have read on a few forums that Qantas wants you to do the 7 exams after you've converted your FAA ATP to CASA ATPL.

DUXNUTZ
13th May 2008, 22:21
Going through it myself. Same situation CASA CPL, MECIR.

As spoken to me from CASA on their Flight Crew licensing help line.

"You need to do the ATPL subjects and the CIR renewal".

It is true you can do the convert method but noone will give you the time of day except regional level. Pilot shortage or not.

I enquired whether could do the conversion then the exams. Girl on the phone didn't like that either very much.

Hence shortly getting er done ye old traditional way.

Its interesting to note that if one has a current instrument rating from an ICAO country and is extremely instrument current yet you have not done a renewal in Oz in the last few yrs, one has to do the entire test as if it was an initial CIR. What a crock of manure.

stillcallozhome
14th May 2008, 02:14
I know. Its ridiculus. The thing is, you could call again tomorrow, talk to someone else, and they would give you a completely different answer. I had the same problem doing the reverse with the FAA.

How confident are you about no one other than the regionals looking at you without the 7 ATPL exams done, just with the converted FAA ATP-CASA ATPL? Have you heard it from someone in a similar position to us that has been knocked back?

There's also no way to do the ATPL exams outside Oz is there? Geez, they dont make things easy, do they!?!