PDA

View Full Version : Livestock cargo with SQ?

info4u
13th Aug 2001, 22:13
Will appreciate if anyone who has experienced sending their Pooch from Canada to Singapore via Soeul?
After a cooped up sedated Pooch is in flight for a period of 10 long hours, Does anyone in Soeul check up how the animal is doing, refresh their water etc. in the one hour stop for the next leg of 5 + hours to Singapore?
I am very concerned about this, as soon we plan to get our Pooch to Singapore!

Have also heard that if see a nice heathy large black dog they may just use it for a good meal???( VERY disturbed and concerned)

Farside
14th Aug 2001, 11:03
Although SIA itself tries to do a reasonable to good job in transporting your dog, they have little control on what happens in Seoel. I for myself always check on our canine passengers but that is a personal thing. I would consider to go via another stop over (HKG) but I understand that this could be difficult. It is normally not a good idea to sedate your dog since they can choke ( while sedated) if they throw up due to airsickness.
I would have a word with a vet before our friend goes on this long trip and also get the travel gage at least a month or two before the trip in your house and get him used to spending the night in there. I have seen many distressed dogs during the travel but never any fatalities and when you open the the box on the other side they step out as if nothing happened. The only thing that is important during his trip is that there is enough water for him to drink. Don't stuff him before you go it is amasing how well dogs can handle shortage of food I hope my friend has a good trip. I fully understand your worry, my wife had sleepless nights before we got our puppy out of NZ.

MasterGreen
14th Aug 2001, 12:00
Good advice from Farside. Don't feed them, just make sure they have water. I personally always check any "pets" in the aft cargo if I have notification and top up water etc. Not many do I guess, but 15+ hours is not a strain. The AVI notification alerts the tech crew to put the heaters on and they (the pets) do really well back there by and by.

It really isn't that grim. A tad traumatic in turbulence I guess, but I have moved a number of dogs and parrots this way and it has worked out OK. The parrots are usually really pissed when they come out of the "box", the dogs are just pleased to see you again. It is a question of relative intelligence I guess. (and you can take that any way you like - lol)

MG

info4u
14th Aug 2001, 19:46
Thanks to each one of you for your responses and advise. HKK would have been good but the home base is YVR and the SQ flight is almost direct via Soeul.
The Pooch has travelled a transatlantic flight but that was just an 8 hour flight with Lufthansa and they were awesome to the Pooch!
I will be following the vets instructions to the 'T' but am really miserable about her in one hour stop in Soeul! as I will not be accompanying her and on landing they Singaporean department will be whisking her off to the quarantine. A family member will be there to receive her but do not know what the regulations are if they will be able to check on her or not.

This dog eating mania , is it really true???
Guess will have to make arrangements with the flight crew A nice Pooch loving Captain & F/O should be my answer to Soeul and from Soeul To Singapore.
Thanks once again.

[ 14 August 2001: Message edited by: info4u ]

[ 14 August 2001: Message edited by: info4u ]

Farside
15th Aug 2001, 08:56
Now here is one serious word of warning and that is the quality of quarantine boarding in Singapore. Be sure you to do your homework and also go and check the facilities yourself since we have heard some bad stories about the kennels. You have different levels of care taking with different prices, but I take it that you want the best for your four legged friend. Let me know if we can be of any help.

Sunny
16th Aug 2001, 08:16
If you're coming to SIN via SEL, it might be a good idea to inform the Capt on the SEL-Sin leg that you have a dog in the hold. The ground staff at SEL once did not inform us that we had 2 dogs in the bulk hold. But they came out ok.

0.88M
18th Aug 2001, 03:49
Don't recommend sending your precious pet
via SQ unless you got a big life insurance
on the pet.

SQ does a piss poor job in animals.
Not to mention, they frequently forget that
animals don't survive well in a 10C bulk cargo area...

info4u
18th Aug 2001, 23:24
Hi To all:
I had not checked the message board for few days.
Good God, Now I am really S-C-A-R-E-D, not to mention how negative I am feeling about this whole thing.
Thanks so much for the offer , yes will be in touch with you Farside.
As a matter of fact was going to email you but felt I would be taking advantage of your kind advice.
Thanks guys I really APPRECIATE your help / input / Advice and eye openers.
Somehow I kind of had this feeling about the quarantine place as well as the SQ haul.
Have to rediscuss this with family.
Really appreciate the help.