PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin from Darwin?

nibbio86
18th Apr 2008, 23:38
G'day. Finally I am ready to go north. On monday I am moving to Darwin for beginning my job hunting. I have something more than 200 TT, 125 PIC, 10 hours on the C210, NVFR and DG Awarness. I am aiming obviously to a single engine charter/scenic pilot position. I am also an european citizen (with a valid working visa) so English is not my first language and I speak with a remarkly accent. Do you think that this could be an obstacle for me with some operator? Any advice on where to go first, who is looking right now for new pilots and so on? I was thinking about buying a VERY cheap car once there so I can sleep inside that for saving some money and going knocking to the door of every operator on my way. Probably a good route would be: Darwin-Jabiru-Katherine-Kununurra-Derby-Broome...suggestions? Thanks

tinpis
18th Apr 2008, 23:59
You will never be short of campaneros sleeping in a car around Darwhine http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gif

:rolleyes:

Capt Claret
19th Apr 2008, 00:00
nibbio86, where are you starting from?

I wouldn't think the accent would be an issue unless you find people have difficulty understanding what you are saying.

As you say you're from Europe and assuming that you're not familiar with the tropics I would strongly advise against the idea of living in a car. Dry season temperatures will be between 30 and 33 celsius and overnight temperatures will rarely be as low as 20. Even in a temperate climate, living in a car would not be any fun.

For your planned road trip consider that a VERY cheap car might not be VERY reliable. The climate can be very inhospitable, and there are vast distances between any signs of civilisation. As an example, Broome to Darwin takes 19 hours door to door, stopping only for fuel. Effectively the only 'towns' you pass through are: Broome, Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek, Turkey Creek, Kununurra, Timber Creek, Katherine, Pine Creek, Adelaide River, Darwin. I'd recommend a safe reliable car over a VERY cheap one. More than a few tourists have perished travelling in remote Australia.

As to where the best job opportunities are, sorry I can't help there. I've been out of that sphere of aviation for too, too long.

Good luck.

Moniker
19th Apr 2008, 01:14
Clarrie speaks words of wisdom.

Once in Darwin, base yourself somewhere like shared accommodation or backpackers. Plan to stay a while - there's work here, and quite often it's he whose in the place at the time will get the gig.

Kakadu/Jabiru is a day trip as can be Katherine.

The others are a longer and thru' very remote country trip away. You will need a better than very cheap car.

nibbio86
19th Apr 2008, 05:11
Probably hanging around for a while is mandatory to get a job. Does anyone have suggestions about cheap places where to stay initially in Darwin (preferably a room in a shared flat) and non-flying jobs available during the (hopefully short) hunting period?

Hasselhof
19th Apr 2008, 05:43
Stacks of non-flying jobs in town at the moment. Just have a walk around town and you'll see plenty of "help wanted" signs. Also grab the Sat newspaper and check the ads.

cjam
19th Apr 2008, 06:02
after you've done the rounds at Darwin and all the operators know your face go and book into that flash as backpackers on mitchell street and get drunk at the bar. then go and look at the message board, there will be heaps of notices from good looking european girls wanting someone to share fuel costs with them to broome. have fun all the way to broome, meet the operators there, to get back next week to show your face around Darwin again, just do the reverse. ......man I miss looking for that first flying job.

DeaLMeouT
19th Apr 2008, 06:16
My advice would be listening to the above posts. They all ring true. Forget living in the car. I tried one night and that was it for me. And spending a little extra on a reliable car is a must especially if you will be covering some distances.

Definitely hit Kununurra after Darwin.

Pomypilot
19th Apr 2008, 06:41
I agree with all:D

If it helps, try KNX first and just door knock at Alligator Airways and Slingair the two major operators up there. Both have nice fleets and with 10 hours on type should be no probs fitting in as a newie.

PP;)