PDA

View Full Version : Any Asian pilots undergone Lasik and flying?

boeinglover
11th May 2001, 10:48
Hi guys,

A question by a foreign Airline pilot goes like this when I had a cockpit visit on one of my trip:

Are there any local (Singaporean) or asian pilots who had undergone Lasik or corrective eye surgery and yet still pronounced fit to fly commercially ??

I seriously don't know the answer to this question and hoping to hear some interesting feedbacks.

Thanks in advance.

Iso
11th May 2001, 12:06
Interesting topic, however, I believe that the regulatory authorities in most Asian countries will not allow aircrew to fly, thus not issue the class one medical to operate, if it becomes known that a pilot has had the operation.

However, it would be interesting to see if anyone has done any research or made proposals about this procedure, with regards to pilots.

I would also be interested to hear what releventICAO body/working party, has to say about it, and thus does it fall within any of the SARP's. Any one?

[This message has been edited by Iso (edited 11 May 2001).]

Marcellus Wallace
12th May 2001, 09:28
Heard from a friend in the medical profession that a relatively long post operative care and eyesight stabilisation which takes roughly one year prohibits it to be a practical solution. I don't think there are any airlines out there who would keep you on the payroll/no paid leave whilst you recuperate. Just not practical. Will probably have to wait till better equipment/ procedures are available which reduces the post operative care. Not my thoughts. Just what I heard.

boeinglover
12th May 2001, 14:19
MW, got your point here.

But that pilot's question was whether there is any local or Asian pilots who had Lasik before getting that flying job, who are still currently flying and not grounded due to the fact that he or she had undergone this simple Operation?

I find that this question is pretty relevant in the context of Asian Aviation especially the Airlines. I have learnt that in the US, Lasik is never the obstacle to being an airline pilot!! And it is time that we think about this particular question.

Thanks and nice hearing comments from you.

crl
13th May 2001, 04:08
Boeinglover,
I was once told by an Aeromedical Doctor that if you had undergone the corrective surgery and never declare it for your joining of aviation; they will never get to find out about it. Of course you are right about the part where we haven't heard anyone yet to be grounded due to post-Lasik problem. Sure hope the authorities over here can look into this as I too have a few friends who will never be accepted with their present "handicapped" eyesight.

Sunny
13th May 2001, 04:22
At the SQ interviews, they told an applicant that Lasik was no obstacle. As long as the eyes healed properly, about 6 to 9 months after the procedure.

Cheers

boeinglover
13th May 2001, 07:18
CRL: Thanks for the discussion pertaining to this question.

Are your friends' visual acuity that bad that even the Airlines rejected them. Actually till what degree\extent is consider bad. Are them by any chance thinking of going for Lasik or for the new operation offered which will regain your friends with eagle eyesight?? Recalling back reading the straits times a couple of months or years back, there was an article on Lasik etc etc and that was simply fabulous.

Also if a potential pilot candidate makes a false declaration, isn't it a worse scenario when Airlines find out about it or the chief medical examiner discover the truth?

Sunny: Now that was a piece of great news!!!

Actually most of us thought that SIA would never accept post-Lasik candidate for their cadet pilot selection and their medical standards criteria are well known for being stringent.

Since not many Asian pilots are responding to this post, perhaps we can really safely discuss this question in the Singapore context. This way I guess hopefullly, we can get more people to come up and contribute their past experiences and act as an example or mentor for the future pilotwannabes who are all drag down by this eyesight requirement restriction.

thegypsy
13th May 2001, 19:03
My son had Lasik eye treatment and was told by the surgeon that no one would be able to tell you have had it,so keep quiet about it. Not I might add that my son wishes to be a pilot as he is far too intelligent and seen my lifestyle compared to my university friends of many years ago.

boeinglover
13th May 2001, 20:31
Hi Thegypsy,

Thanks for the marvellous info and definitely it is wonderful if they (Aeromedical examiners) have no chance of discovering that your son had lasik done on him should he apply to be a pilot.

Why is the situation on this side of the world so discriminating, only god knows.
I have heard from friends doing flight training in US that the regulations over there are not as stringent as in many parts of the world.

Thanks again for sharing views.

thegypsy
13th May 2001, 22:35
Boeingglover .For Lasik you need to be over 21 years old when the eye has stopped growing. My sons surgeon was a Hong Kong Chinese resident in UK at top Eye Hospital in London. Cost more than some that advertise but you want the best where eyes are concerned.

anito4a
14th May 2001, 05:39
Boeinglover,

Apparently in the US, you only need to have one eye to fly commercially! I remember reading this thread a while back on Pprune.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/011325.html

Cheers

boeinglover
14th May 2001, 13:11
Hi all,

I have check out with a Singapore National Eye Centre consultant and was adviced by him that in the event of a person having Lasik done on will be most likely be rejected by the Airlines (SIA).

Can anyone kindly post some hints (eg phone number or emails) for me on who to check up at SIA to confirm on that matter.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 14 May 2001).]

boeinglover
17th May 2001, 05:35
A recent check with a source revealed that indeed regulation within SIA has changed and
now they allow and accept post eye-surgery candidates too.

This news would be wonderful to those who had wished and hoped so much to fly for an Airline but was rejected due to poor eyesight.

I sincerely hope that most Asian Airlines would follow what SIA did, give those chaps a chance no doubt they have poor eyesight and who knows they could turn out to be a better pilot.

Hi F/O: if you can see my posting, I have answered your most wanted question and do try it out with SIA. You may get selected and relocate to Singapore. Good luck to you.

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 17 May 2001).]