PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Pprune security

hadagutful
18th Apr 2008, 11:44
Hey what's with all the extra bull s..t to get on here, worse than airport security.
I used to be able to just get straight in, now it's loggong in, codes and extra nonesense.
Please keep it simple!!

hadagutful
18th Apr 2008, 11:46
What's with all the extra security to get on to this site.....getting worse than airport security. I used to be able to get straight in, now it's passwords, codes and extra b...****, please keep it simple!!

Howard Hughes
18th Apr 2008, 11:51
What security? I logged in four years ago when I got this computer and have never logged out since!:ok:

Capt Fathom
18th Apr 2008, 12:13
I logged in four years ago

Yep! It's that simple. :ok:

tail wheel
18th Apr 2008, 12:15
There is no additional security. Indeed, nothing has changed except the requirement for users to enter a 6 digit 'captcha' code when logging in.

To quote Danny in a message to Moderators:
"Just to let you know that there is a concerted attempt by persons unknown to hack into users profiles. The hacker(s) are attempting to log in, probably using the users Username and several common, simple passwords. Upon reaching the fifth attempt, the User is locked out and is automatically sent an email from the system stating the fact and the IP address of the person who entered the wrong password."The hacker(s) are not in this part of the world, are simply trying common passwords and to our knowledge, are not successful. PPRuNe knows their IP address(s) and has temporarily restricted their ISP(s).

In the interim:
Ensure the email address in your profile is valid and correct.
Ensure your password is complex and unrelated to your user name.
Report any email received confirming any unsuccessful attempts to log into your PPRuNe user name.Nothing to get excited about! :ok:

Tail Wheel

hadagutful
18th Apr 2008, 12:26
OK understood, just seemed like some extra login procedure. Passwords are driving me crazy at the moment, but I guess it is part and parcel of using a computer these days..........will persevere.

Capn Bloggs
18th Apr 2008, 12:38
I was thinking of advertising my company
RAAF recruiting, are they Frozo?:}

No need for a username and password to get in there! :E

Buster Hyman
18th Apr 2008, 15:23
I just use my secret PIN number...1234, they never get that!:ok:

Farrell
18th Apr 2008, 17:09
Buster.......you should advertise your company here too mate!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/bustercopie.jpg

Sunfish
18th Apr 2008, 17:23
there is a concerted attempt by persons unknown to hack into users profiles.

Which airline would try and do that?

hippotamus
18th Apr 2008, 17:36
Actually the captcha code can cause significant problems for partially sighted users such as myself. I find it almost impossible to make out the characters and my text recognition software freaks at it.

I realise that as this is a pilots forum that setting things up for partially sighted users may not be top of your list of priorities!!!! However some of the other sites that I use have a little speaker that I click on , it plays an audio recording of six characters that I then type in.

Not a problem usually as I leave myself logged in but I changed my password to something more secure and had to wait until OH came in before i could log back in :(

tail wheel
18th Apr 2008, 21:45
No Sunfish. It is not an airline nor is it in this part of the world. It is also not an attempt to hack into the PPRuNe web site but an attempt to "crack" registered user's passwords.

Simple passwords are at risk: For example, password the same as user name. Five failed attempts and the user gets locked out.

Buster Hyman
18th Apr 2008, 23:38
Hi Farrel...I forgot about my STOL DC8...she's a beauty isn't she. If only the cargo didn't suffer as much on landing, I'd be on a winner!:ok:

Capt Wally
18th Apr 2008, 23:47
Didn't they have one of them (DC8) portrayed as Air Israel in the movie "Flying High"?:)

Yep security is everywhere, but one has to wonder why would anybody want to hack into the personal details of PPRUNERS?. Could be those keen to find out more about the Dr:8& his loyalty (or lack thereof) towards his once beloved Bo...........:E

CW

ampan
19th Apr 2008, 00:46
And a thought should be spared for those small few who only make postings whilst p*ssed as parrots. It's very disconcerting to have these floating Alice-In-Wonderland letters that have to be re-typed into a box.

Jet_A_Knight
19th Apr 2008, 00:54
A wash wouldn't go astray, Buster.

Have some pride in your equipment, man!

mohikan
19th Apr 2008, 11:58
The other side of the coin is that specifying logins for security and making users confirm logins with key windows collects really good data that could be sold to various airlines to ip match against logons on company intranets in order to confirm the identity of certain high profile posters here on pp

I use an IP scambler which beats the current system Danny has in place so I feel comfortable.

I suggest that 'high profile' posters on this BBS (that means us PAF and Sunfish) invest in the same.

enjoy whats left of the w/e y'all

tail wheel
19th Apr 2008, 13:45
mohikan. I suggest you get your money back on your "IP Scrambler" as it does not appear to work - refer my PM! :}

Or maybe it does - who cares?

As for your first paragraph - total, unmitigated cr@p! PPRuNe has no interest in your IP address nor would it ever be revealed. :=

Tail Wheel

Capt Wally
19th Apr 2008, 22:46
has the so called extra security at the log in stage been removed or am I doin' sumfin' wrong here?:bored:

'mohikan' I'm not too computer literate but if that was the case (yr thoughts) then the techno world really is a scarey place!:confused: Wouldn't be surprised tho!

CW

Buster Hyman
20th Apr 2008, 05:50
Have some pride in your equipment, man
I give it a quick wash after every rotation...that's just wear & tear that you see, not neglect!:E:ouch::suspect: