PDA

View Full Version : -2,75 but cant see 20/60 w/o -fail?

pablo1985
18th Apr 2008, 07:58
Hello,

My contacts prescription is -2,75 in both eyes which is under the -3.00 limit. With my lenses I have a vision better than 20/20. However, withouth them, I do not think that i can see the 20/60 (from what I've tested at home)... does that mean I fail the A1 medical class?

When they test your eyes, do they test it with you lenses on or not?

alastair1982
18th Apr 2008, 16:31
Hi Pablo1985

I recently renewed my Class 1 in Gatwick and i wear glasses. Don't quote me on how it works as i can't be totally sure, however when i went the doctor put me in front of the chart without my glasses initially and needless to say, it was a little tough. He then said to put my glasses on and give it another go, and i read my way through the whole chart. He was perfectly happy with it.

As someone who wears corrective lenses i can understand your concerns, and although my prescription is quite mild, the same fears always crop up in the back of my mind. Upon completion of the test i asked him what tolerances i still had left with regard to the eye test, and he just said 'i wouldn't worry, you have plenty to go at'.

I would imagine they'll test you without first and then test you with lenses after. As mine was a renewal i can't be sure if it's the same if you're going for an initial medical. My advice would be to get aa copy of the testing standards from the CAA website, give them to your local optician and have an eye test before you go.

pablo1985
21st Apr 2008, 20:01
Here is the answer from Transport Canada to my question:

Dear sir, Thank you for your recent email (see below) received at the Transport Canada Civil Aviation Communications Centre.
The visual requirements have changed and are not what is on the website.
Based on the information you have provided, your vision meets the Standard for both commercial and private medical certification. If you have any further questions, you should contact the Regional Aviation Medical Officer in your region: http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/regions.htm
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I trust this information will be of assistance to you. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require further information or assistance. Kind regards,

Hello,

I have a question regarding eyesight requirements for Class 1 Medical. Is the requirement 1.35 b enforced nowadays? If I have a distant visual acuity better than 6/6 with the use of correcting lenses (refractive error of -2.75) but do not meet the 20/200 visual acuity without correction can I still get my Class 1 Medical?