PDA

View Full Version : RBA due for a pay rise!

B787
5th May 2001, 14:22
Is it not time the poor pilots at Royal Brunei got a pay rise?

I would say a minimum increase of 39%. Thats only 3% a year since their last pay adjustment.

Sure would stop so many pilots moving on.

Surely the Sultan can afford to pay the going rate.(ie. Delta)

crl
5th May 2001, 21:40
B787...
It's definitely time for you guys to get an increment, wish you all the best in securing what you ask for.
Cheers

vnavspeed
6th May 2001, 09:58
B787 out of interest what are the salaries like at RBA ? Do you pay tax, and what benefits are included?

Lee
8th May 2001, 17:55
vnavspeeed,

There is no personal income tax in Brunei. The Sultan does not need taxpayer's money at all. Long live the Sultan!

2XL
9th May 2001, 10:07
LEE you are right I forgot he is one of the richest men in the world - yes?

So what are the pay and conditions like as quite a few people have been talking about RBA recently?

Is the 767 fleet likely to saty for the next while?

COWPAT
11th May 2001, 09:04
Salary is ok but certainly not the good deal it once was and as it is paid in Brunei $ it is subject to the fairly large effects of currency exchange variation.

The thin end of the wedge has definitely been pushed through the door (new contract no longer has certain minor fringe benefits such as water/rubbish allowance) and the trend is definitely towards cost saving.

Just as importantly, the make up of the airline has changed a lot over the last few years. We used to have a large core of very experienced expat captains, a lot of expat F/Os waiting for their command and a few locals. Now, we have only a few highly experienced captains, and most of the F/Os are good but very young and very inexperienced locals. This means that we are gradually becoming a feeder airline for Emirates, CX, BA etc and management appear happy to accept the situation, rather than give a substantial payrise to stop what will be a significant exodus and further lowering of experience.

Now that jobs are available, I think we will see resignations increasing again. We have just lost 2 expats to DHL UK, I think that says it all!

BTW B787, You should apply compound interest. 3% x 13 years = requirement of 47% pay rise. Now that WOULD be nice.

[This message has been edited by COWPAT (edited 11 May 2001).]

2XL
11th May 2001, 10:08
So the greener, green grass is not necessarily greener then cowpat?

Strange move to come to DHL UK - talk about chalk and cheese.

COWPAT
11th May 2001, 13:38
Sorry 2XL, I dont get your point. Please explain.

2XL
11th May 2001, 15:44
COWPAT a lot of UK charter airline 757 & 767 pilots I know talk about getting on to "scheduled" operations one day. I think most of them are presently quite well paid etc but long for the stability(?) in rostering and lifestyle. As some one said a while ago charter airlines are a bit like a famine (winter) and a feast (summer) re work, income etc.

In reference to DHL i too know of many who applied and found the package to be sub-standard (especially considering all the hype). I was surprised that several RBA pilots had moved back to the UK to fly night freight. Surely this would be a drop in salary and add that to the expensive cost of living in the UK. Was it to hang on to 757/767 Commands?

I hope this clears up my two comments a little.

COWPAT
11th May 2001, 20:49
OK, fair points.

The Captain went back in the belief that getting in early might lead to a training position or other promotion. I believe that non professional issues may have contributed a little as well.

The F/O went I believe because he felt there was a good chance of a quick command.

I suppose they are both valid reasons, but I,m with you. It would not really attract me unless the salary was significantly improved.
Shame really, as the job sounds like it could be ok, but you have to pay the mortgage and GBP3000pcm just doesn't do it.

Regards

COWPAT

HotandWet
13th May 2001, 14:56
COWPAT.....
If you are not happy in Royal Brunei, why the hell are you still there!?
Be a good chap and just leave quietly.

COWPAT
13th May 2001, 18:33
Where did I say I was not happy? Things could certainly be better though, and I reserve the right to look around.

Quite why you should make such an offensive posting I dont know. Neither do I care. Nor will it affect my postings. Goodnight!

ps
I see from your only other contribution to pprune that you are looking for a job as cabincrew with EK. Why do you therefore wish to get involved in a pilots payrise thread?

[This message has been edited by COWPAT (edited 13 May 2001).]

EasyGo-Lucky?
13th May 2001, 18:47
Cowpat, when you say the Brunei$ is subject to currency variations, just wondering if that means it is no longer tied with the SIN$.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by EasyGo-Lucky? (edited 13 May 2001).]

COWPAT
14th May 2001, 12:03
It is supposedly still tied to the SIN $. Unfortunately the SIN $ hit an 8 year low against US $ recently and is doing little better against GBP. Some good news for the kiwis in RBA is that the NZ $ is doing even worse.

Basic take home (before flying allowances and housing allowance) for a newly promoted captain is about SIN $ 9000 per month. Exchange rate is about 2.6 SIN $ to 1 GBP.
Work it out for yourself.

Pay rise is way overdue. Only options as far as I can see are a large payrise (unlikely) or an increasing dilution of experience as people leave. No contract captain I know would touch RBA on the current deal, and if RBA go the contract route with a different (better) salary then the resignations would come thick and fast.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards

COWPAT

EasyGo-Lucky?
15th May 2001, 05:09
Thanks Cowpat.

That take home pay is more or less the same for a B777 Captain at SIA, after tax but before the mortgage/rent, car payments etc. We may have finally agreed a new wage package here which may in a small way help your cause there.

Good Luck.

COWPAT
16th May 2001, 15:29
Rumour has it that another 3 (at least) captains will shortly be leaving for DHL, or similar. I know at least that number that have been offered positions and are seriously considering their position. Sad to think that a flag carrying airline is losing captains to a start up freight airline. The loss of face may prompt a payrise I suppose. Nothing else seems to work.

WSSS
16th May 2001, 16:59
Cowpat

Just out of interest, is flight operations at RBA run by locals or expats?

Tug
17th May 2001, 02:05
How many days away from home per month with RBA? No major agenda here, it's just that I'm home every night & well paid, but I've always been interested in RBA.

2XL
17th May 2001, 09:46
Hey Cowpat I was at LHR yesterday and saw the RBA 767 sitting on the tarmac. Still can't understand why any RBA pilots would throw that away for parcels in the 757 ?

Is the NZ crowd still in charge of new-hires in the pilot ranks ?

thegypsy
17th May 2001, 10:32
2XL A shiny B767 at LHR is one thing. You still have to live in Brunei and put up with a management who have not given you a pay rise for years. All that glitters is not gold.Perhaps those who leave to go to DHL take the view that it is not worth staying at RBA anymore.
COWPAT You had better make your mind up whether to go to DHL whilst there are still some jobs on offer!!

2XL
17th May 2001, 13:19
Thegypsy I think I can personally relate to your logic so point taken.

Old question looking for new answer, how will the DHL pay/conditions compare to RBA ?

Email me if you would rather at [email protected]

thegypsy
17th May 2001, 17:34
2XL DHL £60000 gross + Allowances will give you about £3500 after tax and NI contributions= $9100 @ 2.6= £1 Brunei Dollars NOT US!!

Big Kahuna
29th May 2001, 07:11
Well, whats going on?

Is no one really interested in getting a fair market wage.

Turn up the heat....

2XL
29th May 2001, 09:42
thegypsy have any of the RBA boys considered Excel in the UK ?. I heard the other day Cpts £5000, FO's £4000 (not sure if this is fact or fiction). This is flying rather old 762's, but the money sounds ok to wander around Europe and the MED.

COWPAT
9th Jun 2001, 16:57
Re My post 16 May.

Resignations from end of August to allow for Nov starts at new companies.

barra21
12th Jun 2001, 04:47
Sorry this is off topic but would appreciate BI pilots view.
If BI delink Darwin and go all direct to BNE, will they operate a stand alone DRW service? And have the B75's got the down time to do this?

JUNGLEJET
10th Jul 2001, 08:08
What's new at RBA?

Something must be happening there!