PDA

View Full Version : Engineer hurt

Old Dog
7th Aug 2001, 21:59
I heard a rumour that an Indian expat engineer got badly hurt in MAS hangar. He got trapped in the flaps of a B744 while it was doing flap retration test.

Would anyone from MAS engineering please confirm this rumour?

mainwheel
12th Aug 2001, 18:33
Would dead be considered badly hurt?

QNH1013
14th Aug 2001, 10:52
Sady True.
Guy got trapped in the Kreugar Flaps as they were being retracted and died.
A safety and procedure failure and nightmare. Unbeleivable.....

Usman
14th Aug 2001, 23:18
This sort of thing is never heard of in MAS 7 years ago. But with the breakdown in finance,expertise and management levels things are beginning to happened now... Is the nightmare going to get worse for MAS?

Shintaro9
15th Aug 2001, 10:32
Condolence to the family of the deceased.

As with any organisation under financial pressure, sytemic problems will crop up. I am not surprised at all, sadly, I predict many more accidents will happen.

The cream of the engineers have left and are happily working in Singapore, Australia and the Middle East. Those that stayed are not so creamy, overworked and underpaid, ingredients for low morale and poor productivity. We're flying with too many yellow stickers and I dont see the situation improving. Engineering is not getting their numbers right (where to get quality engineers with the kind of salary we're giving), the Quality Assurance Department is weak and the DCA is not really keeping an eye on things. Flight Ops through Tech and Dev and Flight Safety must insist that the aircraft be up to specs and fully serviceable for safety's sake. Pygmie, now you got "power", you must ensure your men get properly maintained equipment.

Again, this was a case of procedures not being followed. Remember the last one where engineering procedures were not followed, we nearly lost a B777, todate the only accident without a hull loss (in MAS). And you know what? Engineering never learn, they still put financial considerations ahead of safety.

After Catering, this is one division that needs an audit. Maybe management needs a signal, like one more Tawau.

Whatever it is, you guys play it safe. A chewing by the Fleet Manager for not accepting a "serviceable" aircraft "offered" by Engineering, is better than being in the newspapers for the wrong reasons. Lets make a stand and tell the new Engineering boss that enough is enough, he's got to settle his Divisions problems and not allow it to translate into problems for the flight crew.

Sayonara....... :(

Old Dog
16th Aug 2001, 22:10
I asked around and here's more details.

This middle-aged Indian expat is on short-term contract. He just got his DCA approval in the morning and then got into this accident in the evening.

This fatal accident was hushed up. Few people in the company knew about it, fewer talked about it.

Now that he's gone, who shall feed his family in India ? Compensation? What compensation?

So sad.

casio man
17th Aug 2001, 18:20
I would have thought that something like this would be hard to hide...well live and learn.
To be fair, the ENG department is making the best of what they can. The people that can make the change are the ones at the very top...and I am talking about Putra Jaya, not SFB.