PDA

View Full Version : Large Heart?? Class 2...

187nj
17th Apr 2008, 13:13
Hi.

I went for my Class 2 about a month ago and yesterday I spoke to the examiner who said I have a larger heart than average! 'Don't worry' he said 'but I need a second opinion from your GP.'

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Horatio Leafblower
18th Apr 2008, 11:22
Don't know where you are, but I would say he wants to know there is no underlying problem causing the large heart.

If you are a swimmer or a cyclist, it is perfectly OK.

My left ventricle is enlarged - I have a slightly dodgy valve that allows backflow, so my heart works harder.

Won't kill me (probably) and I can hold a Class 1 here in Oz.

Good luck :ok:

homonculus
18th Apr 2008, 21:28
A large heart can be a sign of disease (heart failure, blockages or cardiomyopathy - rare and dont ask!!) but all these are easily diagnosed by even the most myopic doctor and are accompanied by symptoms such as breathlessness or pain or tiredness.

A large heart in young fit pilots is usually a sign of exercise. The more you exercise, the larger your heart grows as it is simply a muscle that needs to pump more blood. Many olympic sportmen have hearts twice as large as 'normal'.

Your young doctor should have asked you if you do lots of exercise, and you would have answered yes and thats that.

Unfortunately I cant be responsible for some of my colleagues.

good luck

187nj
21st Apr 2008, 10:12
Hey Guys.

Thanks. Looks like I have to go for an Echo Cardiogram as the GP can't be sure that it is 'just a large heart.' He did mention it could have something to do with me playing Ice Hockey.

Appreciate your comments.

Cheers.