PDA

View Full Version : Q-Link Dash 8 Engine Failure

Ratio 4to1
17th Apr 2008, 11:42
I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet....

Last Wednesday afternoon/evening a Q-link Dash 8 EML-BNE had an engine failure (I believe in cruise), then diverted to ROK.

Anyone any further details???

Capt Wally
17th Apr 2008, 11:52
I wonder if it was an intentional shutdown in crz? Anyway a Dash 8 isn't that exciting to watch/think about.:)
No doubt someone knows a lot more here

CW

Poto
17th Apr 2008, 11:57
wow an engine failure, I too can't believe no one mentioned it. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:ugh:

airman1
17th Apr 2008, 12:45
Wow..... engine failure/shutdown !!!! Someone most know something???

Ratio, where did you hear this ??? Is it very second hand info??

Angle of Attack
17th Apr 2008, 13:08
Thats why there is 2 engines on RPT aircraft! Dont be surprised Ratio! Its not really anything special! lol

QF2
17th Apr 2008, 13:45
Yeh, there's absolutely no safety issue whatsoever when an aircraft carrying a significant number of passengers loses an engine. Maybe you should tell the ATSB not to bother investigating the cause of the engine failure while you're at it because, to quote Angle, "Its not really anything special". :ugh:

wotthe
18th Apr 2008, 00:09
It was a 400, it was a prop overspeed which required a shutdown and it was a Training Capt. with a trainee on his maiden training voyage. Welcome to the 400!

Fliegenmong
18th Apr 2008, 00:28
Ahem.infligt shutdown notengine failure :=

hoss58
18th Apr 2008, 00:58
Yeah. Lose/shut down an engine and you go a bit slower. But if you lose/shut down the other one you'll bloody be up there all night.:bored:

Fly safe and play hard.

Regards to all.

Hoss 58

far_cue53
18th Apr 2008, 10:35
I would never expect an ace like you to shut down the wrong engine Hoss !

Must have that beer soon ....:ok:

grumpy greyhound
18th Apr 2008, 11:54
and was there one or two Pec caution lights? This is the second shutdown due prop overspeed since they came online. I am still waiting to read about the first one.

smartalec888
18th Apr 2008, 12:14
Occured on the Dogcock of the 400 fleet.

hoss58
18th Apr 2008, 20:22
Hey far cue53

Do we work for the same company.

If you're who i think you are i'll email you.

And yes we are overdue for that beer

Fly safe and play hard.

Regards to all.

Hoss58

harrowing
19th Apr 2008, 00:44
grumpy greyhound
Would you like to hear about the first one from the horse's mouth?
Cheers :=

Brian Abraham
19th Apr 2008, 02:48
Ahem.infligt shutdown notengine failure :=
While the differentiation is noted for me any time an engine is not capable of providing USEABLE power (whether it be because the FCU went on holiday, fire, lost oil, fuel leak, overspeed) I'd define it as a engine failure. Would ETOPS define it as such?

Capt Wally
19th Apr 2008, 09:17
'BA' well said, I agree with yr comments. As far as ETOPS go I would also feel yr comments apply. ETOPS = Engine Turns or Passengers Swim:) ya gotta love that!

CW:)

Mr. Hat
19th Apr 2008, 09:26
bet you'll pay attention if the other one shuts down!

usernamesarebunk
31st Oct 2008, 12:56
Torres News report on the incident:

Torres News - News from Torres Strait and Cape York - Emergency landing drama (http://www.torresnews.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=872)

Angle of Attack - not all RPT ops use twin engine aircraft, particularly in regional/remote areas.

Kangaroo Court
31st Oct 2008, 17:43
It seems that others were not convinced of any drama as they slept through most of the event. Sounds like a job really well done!:ok:

Ando1Bar
31st Oct 2008, 22:49
My favourite bits from the news article:

The 20 minute flight to Weipa was one of those movie moments, where I, and my fellow passengers, were faced with our own mortality and had the time to consider all the things we have, and haven’t done, with our lives.

However, with only one engine with which to decelerate with, the plane slowed so dramatically that my book on the seat next to me went flying forward.

I was relieved, as we slowed to a roll, to think that I was, indeed, going to live another day and have the opportunity to write this story for the Torres News.
The drama was not over yet, however, as we tried to turn off the runway towards the terminal.

sthaussiepilot
31st Oct 2008, 23:03
Hahaha

Nice quotes there... can you tell he's a member of the press?

...What a Joke:ugh:

sthaussiepilot
31st Oct 2008, 23:05
and should the media set up at all QF gates and just hand cameras out?:E

You never know:rolleyes::ugh:

Kangaroo Court
1st Nov 2008, 00:51
I think some of it was tongue in cheek. He was also observant of the people who really knew it would all work out just fine. C'mon guys, it's not as bad as most reporting has been lately!

ol-mate
2nd Nov 2008, 10:32
I agree with KC, the story was far better than anything i've read about aviation incidents in the major papers.

BackdoorBandit
2nd Nov 2008, 22:31
While the differentiation is noted for me any time an engine is not capable of providing USEABLE power (whether it be because the FCU went on holiday, fire, lost oil, fuel leak, overspeed) I'd define it as a engine failure. Would ETOPS define it as such?
19th April 2008 01:44

The big difference is - a failure is a failure (cannot be restarted). A precautionary shutdown is shuting down an engine which IS producing useable power, AND it may be restarted at ANY time usable power is again required.

If it happened in a single - I am sure a precautionary shutdown would not take place.

nick2007
3rd Nov 2008, 02:01
The 20 minute flight to Weipa was one of those movie moments, where I, and my fellow passengers, were faced with our own mortality and had the time to consider all the things we have, and haven’t done, with our lives.

However, with only one engine with which to decelerate with, the plane slowed so dramatically that my book on the seat next to me went flying forward.

I was relieved, as we slowed to a roll, to think that I was, indeed, going to live another day and have the opportunity to write this story for the Torres News.
The drama was not over yet, however, as we tried to turn off the runway towards the terminal.

They use, too many, commas, when, they write.

campdoag
3rd Nov 2008, 22:17
Backdoorbandit..... i think you might be confused..... I can't think of any situation where any commander would consider restarting an engine after any of the following events; quote "FCU went on holiday, fire, lost oil, fuel leak, overspeed". The aircraft is garanteed to perform on one donk. It is an engine FAILURE!!!! Trust me if you dont shut it down it will FAIL.... just in a more spectacular fashion.:ugh:

Old 'Un
3rd Nov 2008, 23:00
... the prop wouldn't have gone overspeed if he hadn't turned his Ipod on and stuffed up the electronics. It's all his fault.

(Well, if no-one else would say it...)

OK, I'll crawl back into the dogbox. It was a silly idea anyway.

Le Vieux