PDA

View Full Version : cadetship

sirsushi
3rd Aug 2001, 14:40
heya
does anybody out there know when SIA, MAS or even RBA is offering the cadt pilotship scheme again?
i know that a lot of you think that SIA management sucks but it's my only passport in... :confused:

MadChinaman
3rd Aug 2001, 22:36
Hi SirSushi,

SIA just had cadet Pilot Advertisement on the 1st of August in the local Singapore paper. This is an entry level position for candidates with no commercial flying experience.

The requirements are: Singapore Citizen, Singapore Permanent Resident or Malaysian Citizen. Height at least 1.65m Medically fit with visual acuity of at least 6/36 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6. GCE 'A' level, Polytechnic Diploma or Degree, in addition, you must have obtained a minimum of 5 credits in the GCE'O'level or its equivalent. These must include English, Mathematics, and a Pure Science Subject, preferably Physics, taken at 1 sitting.

If you interested send/write/fax/email by 8 Aug. 2001 to HR Recruitment, SIA Limited, Airline House (05-D), Airmail Transit Centre, P.O. Box 501, Singapore 918101.
Fax :(65) 5462991
email: [email protected]

Well, wish you the best of luck...I too would love to fly with SIA...!!!

Hermie
4th Aug 2001, 09:07
MadChinaman,

Have you tried for the SQ recruitment ? I mean, you'd love to fly for SQ too, right !

All the Best sirushi !

Cheerios,
Herman :cool:

MadChinaman
4th Aug 2001, 18:09
Hermie,

I have faithfully been doing it for the last 5 years but was unsuccessful.

They feel that local guys with a licence don't cut the mustard with them. They rather take in guys and mold them to their liking.

Is our self-sponsored flight training that different from those sponsored guys?

Cheers

zxamx
6th Aug 2001, 20:11
Dear sirsushi

Just forget about joining MAS unless you are politically connected or part of the cronies........ Am not to discourage you but that is the truth. If you have enough money, just enroll yourself to any flying schools around SEA region or in Australia.

I wish I can help you.........

Regards :cool:

sirsushi
7th Aug 2001, 06:26
hey guys, thanks a bunch for the info AND the luck!
sadly, it's the 7th today and i guess i logged in too late.
nevertheless, i will still be e-mailing them.

madchinaman, hey at least you're flying, man! :D

Old Dog
7th Aug 2001, 22:14
MadChinaMan,

Quote: Is our self-sponsored flight training that different from those sponsored guys?

I can't answer your question, but it appears that performance of the majority of previous intakes of self-sponsored pilots were very disappointing. As a result, MAS has become prejudiced against GA and self-sponsored pilots.

Check_6
8th Aug 2001, 07:01
Madchinaman,

To put things in perspective, I personally know quite a few guys who got into SIA with foreign licences who either had to go thru the ab initio phase or direct entry. All of them are flying the big irons now. In recent times however, there may be a reluctance to hire locals with foreign licences due to the fact that a couple of them really didn't cut the mustard, either during basic training or learjet phase.

I really feel sorry for those who spent a fortune (even those with rich parents) for their flight training to come home without a job and have their dreams dashed. But like any job application, the company really doesn't owe anyone a living...you gotta sell yourself during the interview and not have the attitude that the job is a guarantee. This is also for those who are thinking of going abroad for their flight training. Go but don't have the misconception that SIA will hire you for sure once you get back. Most airlines in the world would rather hire a local over a foreigner for nationalistic, financial or whatever reasons but they don't just grab any tom, dick or harry who walks in the door.

For those who don't make it with SIA, I would advise that you get on with your lives and find alternate flying opportunities elsewhere if the desire to fly is still there. Who knows, it may just turn out to be more rewarding!

Good luck!

Check_6

MadChinaman
8th Aug 2001, 09:43
Check_6,

Thanks for your encouragement and advice.

How's about helping me out with any opportunities outside of SIA. I have also been trying but has been unsuccessful. I am willing to type rate and in addition, to be bonded and no, I don't have any rich parents.

I am just a guy who is hoping to get that elusive first flying job and fly the friendly skies.

Cheers

Check_6
8th Aug 2001, 16:59
madchinaman,

I hope you've done your homework...SIA is one of the few airlines in the world that has it's OWN ab initio school (Singapore Flying College) and it's probably the only airline that takes foreigners eg Malaysians, for their ab initio training. Why? no GA flying to speak of, besides a small pool from YFC, RSFC and the RSAF. I'm sure you know all these. What i'm trying to get at is that if you want to apply for a flying job with a foreign airline, your chances are most likely nil if you don't have at least one of the following:

1) Foreign citizenship, pr or green card.
2) Experience on type (PIC hrs) or at least a few thousands of hrs on turboprop/jet transport category aircraft for those without a type rating.

I don't know what endorsements you hold but if you are a fresh CPL holder with 200 odd hours, my best advice is to go get an instructor's rating from the US (cheaper and more opportunities to instruct). You gotta pay your dues like everyone else...build hours by instructing initially. Do some charter work when you've accumulated enough flying experience. Aim to get your ATPL and with a few thousands of hrs under your belt, you've improved your chances of getting into an airline.

Good luck!

sirsushi
9th Aug 2001, 06:02
Hey peeps, i've just sent my resume via e-mail to SIA but I'm not getting my hopes up too high. :rolleyes:

ChinaMan, hey you're almost there, hang on in there, buddy, lest you regret letting go...

ultrajetfuel
10th Aug 2001, 10:46
hi all,

can anyone shed some light about changes made to the cadet pilot training program after the SQ006 incident? thanks.

ultra