PDA

View Full Version : Options for Career beginnings

Ultralights
17th Apr 2008, 10:32
After 16 yrs as an engineer, and holding a PPL since i was legally able to at the age of 16, i have decided its now time for a career change, into the career i have always longed for, being paid to fly.
I have a few hundred hrs on a PPL and RAA certificate only, so the reason for this post is get feedback from the wealth of experience here on the options i have been looking at.

first option is REX, yes i have applied, and received a reply stating that i missed the first intake but i will be notified as to when to attend a interview for the second intake, now reading the reports here on REX and the cadetship, i am not expecting that phone call anytime soon..

Second option is, QantasLink, now i have the required hrs, but only have a PPL, will they consider a PPL with 300+hrs??

third option is FTA, Flight training Adelaide/ Cathay Pacific instructor scholarship, and after 40 months service as an instructor, you will be transfered to CX FO position..though i have been informed that upon acceptance into the scholarship program you will be given a Cathay seniority number.

while waiting for responses from FTA and REX, i have embarked on following the well beaten path, of Instructor rating and CPL, which i will commence in the following few weeks, and i have already been offered a position part time in this role once training is complete, and the CPL will be done on a C210 . not to mention qualification into Qlink.

so with these paths i have outline above, what are the good and bad of the above? instructor quality? working conditions? advancement opportunities?

for just a little background, so i dont get any replies on this part of the question, i am financially well off,(as in no debt or family commitments) and can afford to work for REX on a reduced wage, though obviously i still would much prefer to work for what im worth, i am not real keen on paying rex for the traineeship, but its still a viable option..

i hope to hear from those currently enrolled in the above aforementioned traineeships/scholarships...

Thanks in Advance..

Ultra.

Icarus53
17th Apr 2008, 14:42
Mate it's a great time to get into it. Although there's a lot of negative talk about regarding T&Cs etc, opportunities for new pilots have not been this good for years.

First things first, you need a CPL. There are a number of programs that will take you as you are now (and your flight experience certainly won't count against you), but ultimately you will end up having to complete PPL syllabus over again. Meanwhile, once you have a CPL, you can get into QL, FTA, QF etc. or just start looking for work.

The good news is that you've got plenty of hours, and hopefully you have sufficient nav experience (as well as the other requirements) to go for the flight test. In that case, get stuck into the books and get your exams done. You need to do them anyway, so why not get stuck in straight away.

I can't shed specific light on some of these programs - Rex appears to have problems at present, but others are better placed to comment there. QL Traineeship is probably going to be in for the long haul - the only issue there is the bond (it's a long time to stay in a regional these days), but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

If you're flush with cash, QF cadet might be an option. You'll probably end up in QL for a time anyway, then on to international (all going well). Not sure about the FTA gig, but you'll need CPL and Instructor rating first methinks.

Anyhow, that's all the wisdom you're likely to see me spew in a night. Like I say, the time is right to come into the industry. May as well get that CPL and you'll have plenty of options.:ok:

neville_nobody
18th Apr 2008, 03:41
I'd be looking into the tax deductibility of your license if I were you. Assuming you are working in the industry at present it would be worth a shot.