PDA

View Full Version : Secret Flight Over Manchester UK 16.04.08

Hudson Bay
17th Apr 2008, 08:34
Anybody know what was flying over MAN yesterday afternoon?

ATC very secretive and all departures routings altered at last minute with no explanation.

Ian Brooks
17th Apr 2008, 09:18
Probably twin engine and grey

Ian

lexxity
17th Apr 2008, 09:30
Are the CIA still doing rendition flights?

bracebrace!
17th Apr 2008, 09:40
Maybe Willie Walsh was up visiting and they wanted to keep you guessing so you couldn't shoot him down..... :ok:

Lafyar Cokov
17th Apr 2008, 09:43
It wasn't a Chinook off to another stag-do was it??

greuzi
17th Apr 2008, 10:05
Assume you heard ATC being 'secretive' so what was the callsign?............. or were they whispering? :rolleyes:

ayrprox
17th Apr 2008, 10:19
it was probably a watch manager going home for a kip after their shift, didnt want to be woken up by the noise of the departures :}

Lurking123
17th Apr 2008, 10:24
We're not telling you. Its a secret.:ugh:

GS John
17th Apr 2008, 11:17
If I told you, I'd have to kill you :(

Plane Speaker
17th Apr 2008, 12:14
Can't be a secret now though. Was it PM on his way to New York?

greuzi
17th Apr 2008, 12:20
Mancunian causes ATC Chaos!!

http://www.the-rocketman.com/art_center/ROCKET_BELT_WITH_KYs.jpg (http://www.the-rocketman.com/art_center/ROCKET_BELT_WITH_KY.jpg)

fireflybob
17th Apr 2008, 13:17
Is that rig fitted with TCAS?

on21
17th Apr 2008, 16:04
If it was so secret wouldn't this thread have been deleted by SIS?

vanHorck
17th Apr 2008, 16:18
Aurora? :hmm: Did you see oscillating streaks of light?

Brewster Buffalo
17th Apr 2008, 19:11
Probably twin engine and grey...twin squirrel? :p

TSHEKUDU
17th Apr 2008, 19:24
where there is smoke there is fire.......................:\

42psi
17th Apr 2008, 20:22

Ian

Could it have fitted the description of a certain Cessna Caravan??

chiglet
17th Apr 2008, 20:38
Ian
Could it have fitted the description of a certain Cessna Caravan??

Silly me. I always thought that Cessna Caravans only had one engine
Right. I'm on leave...but I think that Manch was on Easterlies" soooo ...Southbounds [aka] Listos One per "vortex" interval.
"Other" departures...ditto.
There "may" have been a wildy...[lost a/c]. There "may" have been a special flight.....Photo survey...Calibrator or even a UFO

Anybody know what was flying over MAN yesterday afternoon?

Lots and lots of Aeroplanes.

ATC very secretive and all departures routings altered at last minute with no explanation.

How do you know?

watpiktch

vespasia
17th Apr 2008, 21:36
Silly me. I always thought that Cessna Caravans only had one engine

'Fraid not - Cessna F406 twin also referred to as Caravan (if you want to be absolutely correct Caravan II. )

spanishflea
17th Apr 2008, 21:49
'Fraid not - Cessna F406 twin also referred to as Caravan (if you want to be absolutely correct Caravan II. )

I see there is just the one now, I could have sworn there used to be two? Or have I said too much already... :uhoh:

chiglet
17th Apr 2008, 21:55
So was it a proper [SE] "Caravan"...or a TE "CaravanII"???
IRCGAT :E
watpiktch

42psi
18th Apr 2008, 05:29
Ok ... I'll happily own up to a complete brain fade ....

I was not cleverly referring to a twin engined Caravan but the pure 'ole vanilla single .....

in my defence it was the colour I was thinking about ...

and despite that the question was genuine ... are we being asked about the (single engined) greyish Cessan Caravan that sometimes visits?

Or is this referring to the rather larger grey thing that apporached 23R the other day and then wandered off again without actually landing?

Or has someone finally noticed the twin engined grey thing that GMP send out over Wythensahw of a night?

AircraftOperations
18th Apr 2008, 14:08
The single engine caravan that makes regular appearances at MAN at the moment flies in and out VFR and shouldn't really cause any more problems to large traffic than the odd Cirrus or Seneca that use the airport.

The Herc which came in for a missed approach was well flightplanned in advance, so shouldn't have been a surprise to anybody.

The grey Defender just seems to slot in whenever/wherever it can, and doesn't always just focus on Wythenshawe, especially late at night.

uk02048
18th Apr 2008, 16:26
Lots of hints, but to a plane layman such as myself what are these little aircraft doing/transporting (apart from the GMP one, I know what that does).

gazza007
18th Apr 2008, 16:28
Was it about 16:00? heading south, approx 20K feet
Was in back garden, would say it was grey military twin turbo-prop.
Maybe CN235 or C295, engine noise brought it to my attention.

G-BHEN
25th Apr 2008, 11:34
Had some very unusual aircraft movements over our area (Mansfield, Notts) over the last week or so.

A grey DC3 looking aircraft flew low on Sunday, and a couple of times
have had a grey turboprop flying low.

Yesterday afternoon the MAFF Do228 was flying low back and forth across some fields to the north, and to top it all off at 7pm last night two grey King Airs flew over in close formation at circa 2000'.

Probably all totally unrelated, but normally the only activity around us is the odd microlight!

42psi
25th Apr 2008, 18:38
And anyone who didn't see yesterdays departure of the "lego plane" missed a rare visitor.

Big red/yellow bombadier fire fighting water bomber ...... it looks like a kid drew it!!

AircraftOperations
25th Apr 2008, 19:14
It's not the "Lego" plane - that's a Danish registered Falcon 900!

But those brightly coloured Canadairs do seem to pass through MAN from Canada to the Med as the warmer weather approaches.