PDA

View Full Version : CPL AIR LAW - Purchase CAR's / CAO's? $$

ksa5223
17th Apr 2008, 05:23
Hi,

With the exam, it seems I will need to have the CAR / CAO's in the exam.

Should I buy these? I am not looking forward to it as they would an arm and a leg.

What is the go?

rep
17th Apr 2008, 06:48
yes you will need them

try and borrow some if you can, otherwise you will need to buy some

you will need them for other exams down the track too....

ksa5223
17th Apr 2008, 07:34
oh ok.. :ugh:

PlankBlender
17th Apr 2008, 07:46
You can also take in printed CAOs/CARs, but they have to be in separate, clearly marked folders (see notes on ASL site).

Buy a cheap monochrome laser printer (they retail for under 100 bucks incl. delivery on ebay) and print them out, that way you have a proper printer also when it comes to printing those resumes :8

As you probably don't need to keep your set up to date, you can save on the subscription, and if you ever to an instrument rating, just print them again, a toner cartridge costs between 40-70 bucks and prints at least 2000 pages..

airman1
17th Apr 2008, 07:53
Just watch out if you borrow them from your flying school you may find that they aren’t up to date and there are several pages missing!!! I remember when I did my CPL air law I borrowed the set from my flying school and the commonly used pages where the ones missing!!

It helps if you can study the subject with the CAR's and CAO's next to you. I know the set is quiet a few $$$$$$ but you will use them again if you go on and do IREX and ATPL's. Good Luck

ksa5223
17th Apr 2008, 08:03
hi guys what i did was to save money i bought.

Latest CAR in text only (no subscription) 79$ instead of 250$ with amendment service.

And i bought the CAO's with 12 month amendments for 109...

WannaBeBiggles
17th Apr 2008, 08:17
Some guys on our commercial course just downloaded them and too them in to OfficeWorks to get printed and bound for about $50 each.

ksa5223
17th Apr 2008, 08:48
yeah thats a damn good idea too.... if only they allowed you to use pdf viewers in exams! do a search and have an answer in 5 seconds and it weighs 200grams instead of 20kg!!!

SydneyAeros
17th Apr 2008, 08:55
I sat the exam yesterday with printed copies so as PlankBender said this actually does work but beware the ASL guidelines.

I managed to use my work printer to print out all 1400+ pages and then just hole punched them.

If you can beg borrow or steal your way into an office and print them out it certainly will save some cash. If only CASA would put the CAO's into 1 consolidated pdf instead of making us download a bunch of pdfs......makes you think they want us to purchase them.

IORRA
17th Apr 2008, 09:12
I purchased them, and was glad that I did (the copies available for borrowing from the flying school weren't in fantastic nick).

I also suggest you 'tag' key pages with labelled, coloured plastic tags (or even thin sections of post-it notes). Makes finding the old chestnuts a heck of a lot quicker and easier during the exam.

Atlas Shrugged
17th Apr 2008, 09:14
Before you go and spend the money, standby......

There's a website from which you can download all of the CAR, CAO and Regs but I don't have the link with me at the moment (I'm in dial-up land :ugh:)

I'll post it tomorrow

ksa5223
17th Apr 2008, 09:49
I actually went to office works today to buy post its!

I was a bit worried the asl women would ask me to pull out all my post-its in my docs for quick refs.

They definitely will help me in the exam... All about TIME!

Lasiorhinus
17th Apr 2008, 09:52
Air Navigation Regulations 1947 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/A704EF04D084BC5ECA256F710042517F?OpenDocument)

CAR 1988 (five PDFs) (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/E9189A76547EEB84CA2573080034659D?OpenDocument)

CASR 1998 (four PDFs) (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/6E0FB805BC653BF5CA2573220026BB00?OpenDocument)

I'd love to know where I can get the CAOs in one easy place, too...

star-69
18th Apr 2008, 08:24
cheers guys

av8trflying
18th Apr 2008, 23:53
http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/1998casr/pdf/all1998.pdf

This link gives you one file with all the CASR 1998 in it.

http://www.casa.gov.au/download/act_regs/1988.pdf

This link give you one file with all the CAR 1988 in it.

http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/orders/index.htm

This link will give you each CAO with a heap of downloads. I dont know if anyone has a better one for the CAO's. By the way CASA says "Civil Aviation Orders support the CARs 1988. They will be progressively removed as we move to the CASRs 1998." What ever that means.

Hope they help.

rep
19th Apr 2008, 02:43
@ksa5223 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=201530) .....

no your aloud to do that, everyone does it

ballistix71
19th Apr 2008, 15:10
From what I've heard this is the deal. Printed copies of documents are allowed in ASL exams so long as they are bound in some way. All documents may be highlighted and tagged but you're not allowed to have notes written on the documents. Colour coding tags makes it easier to find stuff as well (eg met related airlaw with a blue tag, radios/navaids with red etc) this made my IREX heaps easier, however I used Jepps and not Airservices documents.

Free copies of most if not all documents can be downloaded from the casa web page or the airservices australia webpage in the pilot section. This includes the AIP, DAP (East) & DAP (West) etc. They are in bits and pieces so it could take some time to get all the files downloaded, but they do update them on the webpages. Be aware that you download the correct set as they do post up the upcoming revisions in advance, and I'm assuming if you get a question wrong they would treat it as if you had out of date references.

Cheers

Lasiorhinus
23rd Apr 2008, 07:32
Here is a Zip file containing ALL the CAR, CASR, and all the CAOs available on CASA's website, in one, easy download.

Note that this is just what Ive collated myself, and I bear no responsibility for ensuring they are up to date.

They're up to date as of today, but anything that changes from today onwards, you'll need to be on top of yourself.

All the CAR, CASR, and CAO (http://www.freedrive.com/file/301803)

Enjoy!

ksa5223
23rd Apr 2008, 07:39
:D Thank you...

Lasiorhinus
23rd Apr 2008, 07:44
No worries! Hope its useful to a few people.

PlankBlender
26th Apr 2008, 00:03
ballistix, all good stuff, just the docs don't need to be bound, just in folders. The exact formulation can be found on the ASL and CASA websites.

lucas_mj
27th Aug 2009, 02:07
hey guys,
I am preparing my airlaw subject..and I've got the CAO that is not current (2008).

Does any one know if is it necessary use the current texts in the examination????

I mean all the books, CAO, CAR and eventually CAAP.

thanks for the help!

PlankBlender
27th Aug 2009, 09:05
well, you can pretty much take in whatever issue you want, but at your peril. That is, if something significant has changed, you might answer a question incorrectly and thinking you got it spot on.. chances that that would happen with an 08 text are remote if you ask me, but of course I won't give you any guarantees, and even if I did, that wouldn't buy you much :}

Incidentally, I saw heaps of outdated ERSA's and charts in the exam room today (finally have all the CPL subjects for the fixed wing out of the way, yay! :)), I guess charts and ERSA stuff changes a lot more than the CAO/CAR in the bread and butter stuff they check in the exams, but of course you never know..

You'll need an updated AIP anyway for operational use and all the exams, but CAO's/CAR's are a no-buy item. As per the above, printing is the alternative.

In you case, you could simply look at the CASA site and check the changes since the version you have. If you've got the time, it'll make you go through some of the text and that'll have some value too..

Enjoy :ok:

Capt Fathom
27th Aug 2009, 10:50
Does any one know if is it necessary use the current texts in the examination????

What is it with people today?

Hint! You will only get back what you put in. If this is such a big deal, you will struggle with the rest of it!

ReverseFlight
27th Aug 2009, 15:20
I agree it is best in the long run to have your own updated set.

However, as a stop-gap measure, I have borrowed copies from fellow students when I wasn't able to carry them all in my bag from my home town. That really works, and be prepared to help a fellow student/pilot in need too.:ok:

lucas_mj
28th Aug 2009, 04:55
Thanks for the suggestion PlankBlender,

I was wondering this because a friend of mine did the exam a few weeks ago and he used the old CAO and CAR. He told me that the airlaw exam is not often revised... :confused:

but maybe he has been just lucky and that's why I'm thinking to print all the amendments issued after may 2008.

I hope that I will not struggle with the exam.. because is the last one!! :}

PlankBlender
28th Aug 2009, 07:00
I stopped amendments for mine a while back, once the exams are out of the way if you need to look something up you might just as well get the latest pdf off the web. For my instrument rating test I just printed those that had amendments since I stopped updating, too easy.

The texts you need operationally are of course the AIP, ERSA, and the charts, there's really no alternative to buying amendment services to those, although I'd always recommend going Jepps for AIP/ERC as you get charts with them, the information seems to be grouped more logically (if that's possible with the silly split of the texts into 17 different books), and they're airline standard. Will need to switch at one point myself :ouch:

Air Law isn't too hard if you
can find the applicable sections in the documents quickly: tag & highlight well, and do tons of questions, and you'll be all right
read the questions very carefully: don't think half way through the sentence you know what they're asking, it's often one word that makes all the difference (like always, never, earliest, minimum, etc.) -- the more questions you do to prepare, the better
think through the possible pitfalls in any given situation: part of the exam is to see if you can identify a trap or possible pitfall (like making a distinction between the flight limitations for IFR and VFR) -- did I say do lots of mock-up exams?

Good luck! :ok: