PDA

View Full Version : XP SP3 Imminent

frostbite
16th Apr 2008, 21:35
More details at http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39386036,00.htm

including the 'you're going to get it whether you want it or not' type message from M$.

How sweet.

green granite
17th Apr 2008, 08:02
The beta version has been around for a few months now, I've not heard of any adverse comments about it, so hopefully the shrink-wrapped version should be fine.

hurn
17th Apr 2008, 08:57
If you really don't want it then turn off automatic updates. Easy.

SP3 isn't a major OS overhaul like SP2 was, so there shouldn't be as many problems for people this time.

I personally prefer all the hotfixes and security updates rolled into one service pack rather than tons of individual ones from Windows Update.

HuntandFish
17th Apr 2008, 09:03
I run IT Services for a large company 3000 PCs and we have only recently applied SP2 . Dont automatically take updates from Microsoft .

Parapunter
17th Apr 2008, 09:04
No probs here. I put it on a non mission critical machine & it dropped in hunky dory. Vista SP1 is the one I'm putting up the shutters against.

bnt
17th Apr 2008, 09:43
I run IT Services for a large company 3000 PCs and we have only recently applied SP2 . Dont automatically take updates from Microsoft .
Are you using WSUS (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx)? If not, you should be. In conjunction with a Domain Group Policy, it lets you control what gets applied, and when, with the added benefit that each update gets downloaded once, and not 3000 times. :8

Mac the Knife
17th Apr 2008, 11:09
SP3 sounds good, but I'm a little concerned that MS may use it to stuff up XP installations in order to force folks onto Vista :yuk: (or at least to make Vista feel less awful).

I certainly wouldn't put it past 'em - they've done that sort of thing before.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight....

:ok:

IO540
17th Apr 2008, 18:49
Does the SP3 installation (I assume it is a single big .exe like SP2 was) check WGA?

SP2 didn't, and Office 2003 SP3 didn't check OGA either.

This is quite funny because people with systems which don't pass WGA (like that PC running a copy of XP from Amazon which turned out to be bootleg) don't get the auto updates.

twiggs
18th Apr 2008, 02:48
The main advantage of SP3 will be the integration of all previous updates and hotfixes, some of which are WGA updates, so if MS won't activate your install, then it might be wise to avoid it unless you are prepared to pay MS to activate it.
Slipstreaming SP3 into the XP SP2 disk should still be possible, which will save a lot of updating time on future installs.

NotPilotAtALL
18th Apr 2008, 03:13
Hi,

The beta version has been around for a few months now, I've not heard of any adverse comments about it, so hopefully the shrink-wrapped version should be fine

Me think you must read more :)

Read on many forums beta users with problems from small glitches to BSOD ... and with the beta CR2 ... !

Hi all -
I installed SP3 a week or so ago - my system does seem to run faster.
Since then, a few problems - FSDiscover won't install - Traffic Toolbox won't install - may be a time to reinstall FSX.
Any one else have problems with anything after SP3?

Yep, I've lost my time zones for the world except for 12 regions, no world map, no sliding bar, nothing

I also lost the ability to have an adddress bar in the task bar. http://vistaoz.org/smf/Smileys/default/crazy.gif
Also, the new Beta Internet Explore 8 doesn't work - that may not be SP3, tho.
Is SP3 only for duo core systems? My sister (single core system) couldn't install it.

Ive tried four times to install SP3 on a single core AMD and got a quick flash of the blue screen and nothing. Went back to SP2 fine no blue screen flashes.

I rang Microsoft Australia and they told me to remove SP3 for the moment because there was no support for it for now as it is a beta version, so I uninstalled it back to SP2 without any problems except that I still don't have my regions, apparently I'm in Central Pacific time ( Mexico ).
What a joke. http://vistaoz.org/smf/Smileys/default/BangHead.gif I even did a system restore, still no luck.

I installed it and had all sorts of problems with my WPA2 network. It was probably me, but I uninstalled it and will try again when the final version comes. Maybe I should have re-installed KB893357?

I installed SP3 about 2 weeks ago..All seemed well until I went to logon to the internet. The installation had completely messed with my internet connection and ISP account. I tried all sorts of tricks to no avail and eventually had to do a system restore.. I MIGHT try again in a couple of months after MS have sorted probs., but till then will make do with SP2... Just be carefull guys and make sure you have system restore turned on!!

Cheers.

green granite
18th Apr 2008, 07:05
Me think you must read more

I was referring to comments from IT professionals who were trailing the beta copy. I'm afraid listening to people on forums is meaningless unless you know their capabilities............. Bit like on here really . :E

hurn
18th Apr 2008, 09:19
Does the SP3 installation (I assume it is a single big .exe like SP2 was) check WGA?

SP2 didn't, and Office 2003 SP3 didn't check OGA either.

This is quite funny because people with systems which don't pass WGA (like that PC running a copy of XP from Amazon which turned out to be bootleg) don't get the auto updates.
Thats not quite true as even systems that don't pass WGA can get critical security updates.
AFAIK, SP3 will only check for a number of blacklisted VLK keys, and will only refuse to install if it finds that your PC is using one.

There will always be problems with any service pack release, however I'll bet that SP3 has far less issues than when SP2 hit for the majority.

Wader2
18th Apr 2008, 09:50
GG,

Thanks for that vote of confidence.

SP3 Beta did not work for me. The Beta version was about 370Mb whereas the release candidate was said to be a lot slimmer. I ran the install but the system then crashed. I had no need for SP3 so I reverted to SP2.

From what I was told, the only advantage of SP3 is for reinstalls as it sweeps up the earlier changes from SP1 and SP2 and the various patches since then. As it is patched to a recent standard reinstalls will be quicker.

If you have SP2 and are patched up to date then you are already at SP3 standard.

Well, that is what I was told.

green granite
18th Apr 2008, 10:22
Wader2 Nothing personal I assure you :O, there will always be someone who has problems with installing something or another. I agree with you that if you have auto updates on so that you're up to date with the security patches etc then you don't really need SP3.

bnt
22nd Apr 2008, 07:18
SP3 has been "released to manufacturing" i.e. it's been locked down. It does contain a few new functions "which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system". More details in the documents here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en).

Microsoft never forced a SP1 or SP2 download, so I have no reason to believe they'll force a SP3 download. What I expect they will do is make it a condition of getting other updates, eventually - like a year later. By then it'll be on magazine cover CDs, if that huge download will be a problem.

ZH875
22nd Apr 2008, 08:02
Microsoft never forced a SP1 or SP2 download, so I have no reason to believe they'll force a SP3 download.

Maybe they didn't, but if you want the latest security updates from Microsoft, you can only get them if you have installed SP2. :8

hurn
22nd Apr 2008, 09:45
Maybe they didn't, but if you want the latest security updates from Microsoft, you can only get them if you have installed SP2. :8Which makes sense. You draw a line from the previous service pack and start patching again. No point in keeping hundreds of individual patches available, some of which would be outdated anyway by now.

For those who keep their PC's updated through WU or AU, then SP3 wont be a big deal anyway, as ONLY the files still needed will be downloaded.
Its not going to be a 330mb download unless you're going from an unpatched XP RTM, SP1 or SP2 PC.

bnt
22nd Apr 2008, 16:47
Maybe they didn't, but if you want the latest security updates from Microsoft, you can only get them if you have installed SP2. :8
That's what I said, just in different words. My point was that they do that much later, not straight away. Plenty of time to get SP3 at your convenience e.g. from work, or off a magazine cover CD.

Guest 112233
22nd Apr 2008, 20:47
Just to keep things in context, the M/C that I'm posting this msg on, has just been upgraded from ME to XP (SP2) two days ago - from a purchased disk WGA enabled - broad band Update of 92 fixes - 40 mis to do and no probs - 310 MB of ram & a 10GB hard disk - Norton 2008 installed this morning - works just fine and only prob is a slow boot sequence re swap file creation - takes 6 mins - otherwise no issues - if you have old kit like my little Compaq lap top consider upgraging to XP (specs permitting) while you can. PS Windows firewall & free AVG anti virus seems to work OK as well - if you need a backup M/C - consider this option.
:8

hurn
22nd Apr 2008, 23:16
Your slow boot is probably that resource hogging pile o sh*te Norton tbh.

NotPilotAtALL
24th Apr 2008, 01:41
Hi,

"Official RTM release" already available at the Major Geek pages:

http://majorgeeks.com/

http://majorgeeks.com/images/grenade.gif Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final (http://majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3_Final_d4323.html)[ 316 MB | Freeware | Win XP] http://majorgeeks.com/images/mghot.gif
All previously released updates for the operating system.

Cheers for now.

hurn
24th Apr 2008, 08:51
Good find thanks. :ok:

Binoculars
24th Apr 2008, 13:20
No doubt it will follow the current trend of providing nothing at all of use to the average user, but concentrate on increasing the squeeze of their DRM.

Atlas Shrugged
25th Apr 2008, 00:39
Ha!

from the Microsoft Website (my bolding, Microsofts words):

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
Brief Description
Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.

Feckers!

frostbite
25th Apr 2008, 14:54
Microsoft results hit by weak Windows sales

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39405244,00.htm

He said IF !?

Ballmer: Microsoft may keep XP if users demand it

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39405240,00.htm

BOAC
25th Apr 2008, 18:48
Ballmer: Microsoft may keep XP if users demand it
- it needs everyone to DEMAND XP on new machines - then they may get the message. You will always have the 'upgrade option'.

You will find if you 'turn down' the Vista deal most companies will 'find a way'. Funny that - they need the sale!

Polikarpov
26th Apr 2008, 16:18
I was talking to a chap from a smallish software company last week who, after the latest 'we're going to chop XP' date announcement from MS, got on the blower to Dell (who provide all their computer hardware) and sought some reassurance, in strongly worded terms, that they would continue to support XP (pre-installed on new hardware and support services).

He got the assurances that this would be forthcoming until at least 2010, as there's a huge amount of demand for it. Of course, this is for business clients but still, shows if you shout loud enough you get.

According to Ballmer MS are aiming to get Windows 7 (the Vista replacement) out the door by the end of 2009 now; I'm not surprised they wish to move on from this episode as soon as practical and am quite sure you'll be able to get XP until Windows 7 is bedded in - I suspect a large proportion of people upgrading to that version will be doing so directly from XP.

batninth
27th Apr 2008, 15:53
Polikarpov,

I think a lot of companies are looking to stay with XP for as long as they can, especially as the main driver is getting Office 2007 out there which XP will support.

XP SP3 is mainly aimed at getting XP ("Windows 5") & Vista ("Windows 6") systems to co-exist peacefully so that home & business users won't have the excuse against Vista to the effect it won't talk to legacy PCs with XP on them.

Personally I'm not holding my breath for Windows 7 - it is a major change for Windows and the early developer presentations that have whispered in hushed tones about the Windows 7 kernel (if you're intrested there is something useful on InfoQ, but under the guise of Windows virtualisation futures) but it's a long way from user ready.

Reading between the lines, Windows 7 is looking like an attempt to build an "all things for all men" release that could be made small enough to go on the new super-PDAs, yet big enough to cover the mega-gaming PCs. End 2009 looks very agressive for Windows 7 development to meet the necessary QA standards - I would like to be proved wrong here.

I would suggest that we keep watching MS Towers, there could be a play to use the new Windows 2008 kernel for a desktop release. Win 2008 is already starting to be packaged as we suspect Windows 7 will be, and it's not beyond the wit of man to suspect that MS might push for a desktop version (like they did with Windows 2000).

green granite
7th May 2008, 09:43
Ok I bit the bullet and downloaded SP3, it took 5mins to download and 10mins to install it and so far it has not caused any problems (I did make a restore point before install). I will let you all know if there are any problems that arise :ok:

Tarq57
7th May 2008, 10:27
Same here, except it took about 10min to download, 20 min to install. No problems at all so far, except that it is no longer an option to uninstall IE7, should you want to.
For those that want to retain the ability, uninstall IE7 before installing SP3.
I saved SP3 to a folder, installed from there, so if I ever have to reinstall Windows, I can just slipstream the service pack on to it, or at least install it following the reinstall.

Wader2
8th May 2008, 14:10
In my case the install offer was an update between 66Mb and 332Mb. In the event it was 66Mb.

The setup took about 5-10 minutes but the install took nearer 40 with one item failed and one still to install before I had to go to work.

Now when they just upgraded the work machines to SP2 - yup, we got SP2 last week - we also got Java errors and a couple of other errors one of which pops up a Kernel32 error every few minutes :)

green granite
8th May 2008, 15:17
Wader did you download the SP as a program and then run it or did you allow the auto upgrade system to install it?

Wader2
9th May 2008, 08:42
GG, I used the auto install routine. Although I got a file not installed message the only file I could find not installed was Framework 1.1. The system now reports XP SP3.

I found a 'strange' icon in my Control Panel, something to do with notecards, I didn't note the name or check it out. I also found two new folders in the Programs folder. Both empty and I have no recollection or recognition of them.

I will need to browse my backups pre-sp3 to see if they were there before the upgrade.

green granite
9th May 2008, 11:51
I used the auto install routine.

I know it says that if you are using a home computer allow the auto update to install SP3, but I think that's where most peoples problems arise from. I would suggest that downloading the file and then installing it is probably a safer option.

Mushroom_2
10th May 2008, 13:47
You may want to read this before installing XP SP3

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/windows_xp_sp3_reboots_crashes/

BEagle
13th May 2008, 05:03
Well, I certainly won't be installing SP3 on my main laptop until I've had a chance to check it first on the back-up!

Both Dells, so I hope that this AMD thing won't be a factor!

hurn
13th May 2008, 11:02
Well, I certainly won't be installing SP3 on my main laptop until I've had a chance to check it first on the back-up!

Both Dells, so I hope that this AMD thing won't be a factor!The AMD problem seems to stem from OEMs that have used their Intel XP images on their AMD machines.

This isn't the fault of Microsoft. It would work if the OEM used a separate image for their AMD machines, instead of being lazy and using one image for all.

Formerly working for an OEM myself, I'm all to aware of the problems a 'one size fits all' type of image can lead to.

That said, I've so far updated 5 custom built (by me) PC's with SP3, and all have been successful.

BOAC
13th May 2008, 14:10
Are you saying, Hurn, that if my machine is an AMD based self-build with XP Pro installed by me from XP CDRom I should be OK?:eek:

Saab Dastard
13th May 2008, 14:59
if my machine is an AMD based self-build with XP Pro installed by me from XP CDRom I should be OK?

Assuming you installed the correct drivers in the first place... :}

SD

hurn
13th May 2008, 16:07
Are you saying, Hurn, that if my machine is an AMD based self-build with XP Pro installed by me from XP CDRom I should be OK?:eek:Well, I have installed SP3 on my own AMD X2 3800+ system which was self built and had Windows installed from scratch and it worked just fine.
No problems whatsoever, so yes you should be ok.

However, with any major upgrade, you should always have your data backed up just in case.

BOAC
13th May 2008, 19:18
Assuming you installed the correct drivers in the first place - well, I jurst lurv kwyptic kwosswords, but any chance you be a little more specific?

Which drivers? AMD processor or what?
Does the update require specific drivers?
If my machine is working ok at the moment does that mean I have the right drivers?

Saab Dastard
13th May 2008, 21:54
I was being facetious - with a clean install it is nearly impossible to load the wrong drivers. Drivers are only loaded at install / setup if the corresponding hardware is detected - equally true of chipset (AMD / intel) or graphics or sound etc.

SD

Readability 5
14th May 2008, 10:51
Recently downloaded XP SP3, when trying to install it, I get the message "The file c\windows\system32\xpsp2res.dll is open or in use by another application, close all other applications and click retry" which I do, click retry and get the message "an internal error occurred, the service pack could not install".

I'd like to avoid another lengthy call to Orange (India) Ltd, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be most grateful. My system is currently running XP SP1.

Thanks,

R5

frostbite
14th May 2008, 17:14
Does this info help anyone?

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39416138,00.htm

hurn
14th May 2008, 19:56
Yeah, I'd already stated that the problem lies with the OEM's in the SP3 thread here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4109507&postcount=37

Embarrassing for a large company like HP to be found out like this. You'd expect better from them.

frostbite
14th May 2008, 20:10
Sorry, Hurn. I did recall that I'd seen something of the sort in 'my' other thread but I was a bit pushed for time to look for it.

(not to mention too bloody lazy)

BOAC
14th May 2008, 21:32
Could do with a thread merge here?

Hurn - I reckon from your info my desktop AMD is OK. Yours was the first specific mention of 'HP'. My laptop is an HP Pavillion.:uhoh: Is there a work around?

hurn
14th May 2008, 22:21
My laptop is an HP Pavillion.:uhoh: Is there a work around?Depends whether its an Intel or AMD based laptop I guess.

If its Intel, there should be no problem as they seem to have used images based on intel configurations from what I've read.

If its AMD then your results may vary! :}

Do HP supply an XP disk which can be used for running repairs with, or do they just have a hidden recovery partition (OS image) on the hard drive?

green granite
15th May 2008, 07:17
Readability 5 Try obtaining SP2 and installing it before installing SP3.

BOAC
15th May 2008, 07:34
Hurn it is the usual 'cheapo' partition job. I made a 'rescue' set of CDROMs on purchase. I also have my 'pukka' XP CDROM and have asked here before about just installing that - and been warned of all sorts of potential probs with drivers etc.

I'll have a shufti at the processor as a start!

EDIT to add: Hopefully good news! :cool:I have an Intel Celeron

Readability 5
15th May 2008, 15:54
Try obtaining SP2 and installing it before SP3.

Already tried that and it came up with exactly the same error message. It shouldn't matter though, because Microsoft says the update is cumulative and can be installed on top of SP1 or SP2.

R5

hurn
16th May 2008, 00:31
EDIT to add: Hopefully good news! :cool:I have an Intel CeleronShouldn't be a problem then.
As always back up any vital data just in case it all goes tits up.

Tarq57
16th May 2008, 00:54
Readability 5,
Since nobody more knowledgeable than me has offered a resolution yet, I'll have a go.
There is a possibility of finding what application is using the .dll with Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/)
It's not always successful, I believe other programs like Process Explorer or A2 HijackFree may be better analysis tools, but I honestly don't know enough about them to recommend their use. (Can use myself, can't safely talk someone else through it.)
If you can right click on the .dll prior to attempting the SP3 install, it might tell you the "locking handle". First step then is to try and shut down that program, if it's not intrinsic to windows or update. (Hopefully it will be a third party software, that can easily be set to not start with Windows.)Then see if it's still locked. If not, presto.
If no luck there, I'd probably look at asking on the appropriate MS newsgroup/forum.

BOAC
16th May 2008, 07:30
As always back up any vital data just in case it all goes tits up. - good advice, and thanks. 2 laptops and desktop safely backed up every month to my 500GB external USB.

Just need your address to bring my Laptop round to when it blows on update....................:p

IO540
16th May 2008, 09:06
I've just installed SP3 on an AMD machine and an Intel machine, and both seem to work OK. Both were SP2.

Curiously, the installation on the AMD PC opened up a DOS box with a load of "unrecognised command" (or similar) lines scrolling up inside it at a great speed, but it all seems to run afterwards...

Two_dogs
16th May 2008, 09:59
I run an AMD 64 bit processor with XP SP2.

This machine has run rock solid for about 7 years now; it never crashes or requires a re-boot and runs 24/7.

After reading that SP3 might compromise AMD machines, and I don't trust Bill, I have decided to decline the update until I have more time for further investigation. (Did I mention I work full time, (two jobs) have a wife, three kids and a dog?)

I have declined the SP3 update and told the updater to not offer it again.

I still receive later dated security and other updates for both Windows XP and Office 2007 in the normal way. My choice is to be notified of available updates, but let me decide which to install.

Works for me ...

Two Dogs

EDIT: Time to switch to UNIX ...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39291784,00.htm

BEagle
18th May 2008, 10:11
Well, SP3 installed fine on the back up....

But on the primary, I keep getting 'Access Denied'. When it eventually hands control of the computer back to me, checking the 'Update History' tells me that an 0x80070005 error was the problem.

WTF is an 0x80070005? On another occasion, it identified a 0x8007F02B.

This was when trying to use the Microsoft Update, rather than the Automatic Updates.

Can anyone advise what the cause - and remedy - of this problem is likely to be?

Tarq57
18th May 2008, 11:12
An 0x80070005 error is an "Access Denied" error. ;)
Suggested things to check: You are running as an admin; you disabled the AV/other security software (be disconnected when doing this) before installing the update.
More info here. (http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp-sp3/windows-xp-sp3-install-fails-with-error-code-0x80070005/)

BEagle
18th May 2008, 11:57
Sorry, but that doesn't mean a thing to me.

Access to what is denied - and by whom?

I really hate those meaningless Microsoft messages!

Tarq57
18th May 2008, 22:08
Some files, registry applications etc are locked from alteration. So if something tries to write an entry and doesn't have the privilege required, access is denied. (I find a most of those error messages a bit, ummm, generic in nature, too.)
Did you check the link/suggestions above? Any answers?

BEagle
19th May 2008, 06:11
Well, I looked at that site, but was put off trying anything because it was so poorly written and it wasn't clear whether the 'solutions' offered were options or had to be completed in sequence.

I did remove Spybot Search and Destroy whilst I tried again - but it made no difference. In any case, it hadn't affected the other machine.

As for 'running as an admin' - what on Earth does that mean?

Tarq57
19th May 2008, 09:32
Running as Admin is the type of user account you use. An Administrator account has pretty much global permissions over the computer. A limited user account has much reduced permissions, and generally can not install nor uninstall nor update most software that affect more than that account.
Go to Control Pnael>User Accounts and look at the account you use. (Your logon.) It will say whether it is an admin account or not.
The options on the site I linked are generally intended to be sequential. If the first one doesn't solve the problem, try the second. If that doesn't help (and you still want it fixed badly enough) try the third, if you're up for it.
Think about what is different between the two machines. Do they both have the same settings, firewall, and antivirus? Is anything running on the primary that isn't present on the backup?

BEagle
19th May 2008, 11:02
Both accounts are identified as 'computer administrator'.

The only difference I can quickly establish is that the AntiVirus 'Enable Script Blocking' is ON for the computer with the 'Access Denied' issue, whereas the AntiVirus version on the other computer has no such option?

I tried installing with the 'Autoprotect' disabled, but still got the 'Access Denied' warning. Presumably that made no difference because nothing was being actively downloaded from the Internet (I'd unplugged the connection to the router).

Would selecting 'Enable Script Blocking' OFF be likely to make any difference?

Tarq57
19th May 2008, 11:31
I wouldn't think "enable script blocking" should make any difference to a program update, that's more to prevent dodgy items in hijacked or dodgy web pages from running.
What AV is it? And is it the same AV on both?
Ditto question the firewall.
Ditto question any other application eg antispyware/behaviour blocker etc.

I have to tell you I'm not an expert, but have troubleshot a few of this type of issue.
Is the primary, perchance, an HP or Compaq presario with AMD processor?

green granite
19th May 2008, 12:47
BEagle try reading this Microsoft support document: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

You may need to dive into some of the links in it as well.

BEagle
18th Jul 2008, 14:25
Well, a couple of months later and SP3 downloaded itself automatically, but still came up with 'Access Denied' when I tried to install it.

The Microsoft support site just sent me round in circles, so I gave up and rang them.

2.5 hours on the phone with a very patient and helpful chap and we found the problem - 'registry permissions', whatever those are. Plus I needed to free up some space on the hardrive - although that hadn't been an issue before.

All then installed and re-booted fine. Thanks, Manish!

BOAC
18th Jul 2008, 16:56
So, 3 months on from first post - I am still 'holding back. :) What's the verdict, guys? Any probs generated?

Shunter
18th Jul 2008, 17:01
It's as it was then... SP3 is mainly a rollup of the fixes released post-SP2. If you're fully patched there's hardly any difference. There's a few things under the hood to facilitate Windows Server 2008 (yuck!) connectivity, but not much to write home about.

As Windows service packs go, it's rather uneventful.

BEagle
18th Jul 2008, 18:43
True, but when I asked what was the point of installing SP3 when I was already up to date with all other downloads, the Microsoft chap told me that many new programs, such as subscription Antivirus updates, will require you to have XP SP3 as the minimum OS.

seacue
18th Jul 2008, 21:04
I follow a broadcasting Web group here in the USA. One member, who is the IT person for a cluster of stations, says that some of the software they require will NOT run under SP3. I haven't dared try it on "mission critical" computers. I think one should be prepared to uninstall SP3 if one chooses to try it.

Mornington Crescent
19th Jul 2008, 06:58
SP3 will not allow the address bar to be put into the taskbar which is a real inconvenience to some of us.

I am back on SP2

MC

Guest 112233
19th Jul 2008, 09:37
I have fould that XP SP3 upgrade kills the inbuilt wireless on my AJP 900 Series notebook clone. It installs just fine; but WPA connectivity is lost (I'm using WPA1 - I.E the TKIP variation - because I have older kit sharing my network) - Microsoft have released a Registery Fix to prevent XP3 form automatically installing - Its here Disable XP SP 3 and Vista SP1 From Windows Automatic Updates » Raymond.CC Blog (http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/30/disable-xp-sp-3-and-vista-sp1-from-windows-automatic-updates/) - or google XP Blocking Tool - Its reverseable too.