PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of hitting "pause"

Blind_Pilot
16th Apr 2008, 20:20
Hi everyone

This may seem like a bit of a wierd question, but I'll shoot on anyway. I'm currently in phase two of ground school, flying off to Phoenix in a couple of months time, and all of sudden I've been caught up by a strange panic. I'm sure that being a pilot is my aim in life and my dream, but the fact of finding a job straight away after graduating is what is frightening me a bit because it makes me realise how much I would have liked to do before actually getting on to the job market.

Basically, I was wondering what the effects of taking lets say a year off before looking for a job after having completed the course would be on my chances of actually getting a job. Not that I'm sure I'll do this or even thinking seriously about it, but I was just curious, has anyone done this before? And if yes, what are the consequences?

Farrell
16th Apr 2008, 20:29
That's a solidly mature approach to your situation young man.
Good decision making will serve you well in a few years when you're doing your command course!

At your age, you have a few options.

The main concern before I explore those however, is the matter of cost - you will have to remain current on your licences if you take a year off. This can get very pricey.

It also depends on what you want to do for that year as well. I am going to assume that it is travelling.

Why not get your FAA ratings and then before converting to JAA, head down to somewhere like Maun in Botswana and try and get a job down there.
Would be a load of fun and you'd come back a MAN!

Bonne chance!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
16th Apr 2008, 20:49
Hello BP,

I think most people would have experienced ups and downs during their training, myself included. With respect to your question and from my own experience, I would, if you can is try and keep moving forward. If you take time out it will only put you on the saw tooth learning curve, and it could end up costing you more money.

One thing about the whole job thing, is you never know what is around the corner. It was only the other day when the Captain I was flying with said to me, do you remember when you were flying your little C152, teaching, will I ever achieve my goal of flying airliners? It brought it all home, and, I had to agree as I looked down the the PFD seeing London Heathrow on the ND! I know it is easy to say, but have faith in what you have set out to do, and if you are determined enough, all your dreams will slot into place eventually.

All the best with your flying mate.

Blind_Pilot
17th Apr 2008, 17:58
Thanks for your replies guys. I have to add though, as a precision, that I'm currently at Oxford Aviation Training, in England, and that I'm going straight for the JAA licence, not going through the FAA.

Also, does anyone know if, for example, I was to take a year off now, if there is a waiting period before being able to resit the JAA ATPL (I've just passed 7 of the 14 subjects) or even if it's impossible?

Adios
17th Apr 2008, 19:04
BP,

Are you talking about taking a year off at the end of ground school or at the end of the entire course?

Blind_Pilot
17th Apr 2008, 19:16
I don't know lol

It's probably even less possible at the end of ground school since I doubt I'll get my money back and Oxford won't let me take a year away... I think I'm fighting something I won't be able to conquer here...

Blind_Pilot
17th Apr 2008, 19:19
Honestly either, but more likely at the end of the entire course. Anyways it doesn't seem possible :ugh:

Shunter
17th Apr 2008, 19:38
Without checking LASORS I can't be 100%, but I believe you have to complete all the exams within an 18 month time-frame. Once you pass the last exam you have 3 years to get your CPL and IR completed and issued. The exam credit is then good for 6 or 7 years for the purpose of ATPL issue.

Adios
17th Apr 2008, 20:08
Shunter is correct, you have 18 months from the first to the last theory exam then three years from the last exam in which to pass the IR.

A break after ground school would be wiser, but you'll need your FTO's support for that. It's probably worth asking if this is going to interfere with your performance. The best case would be take the break and get your head back into it before doing the flying. If the break doesn't help you get both your head and heart back in it, then find another career and be glad you didn't spend another £50K to finish.

The problem with a year off at the end is your ME and IR will expire, you will not have flown 50 hours in the previous year, something a lot of airlines like applicants to have.

Is this a case of meeting up with friends on leave and seeing them care free and having fun and you end up longing for an escape from the stress? I suspect that happens to more than are willing to admit it.

Wilga
19th Apr 2008, 08:21
Hi
Unless finances are an issue as far as paying back loans etc then if you want to travel for for example then I would reccommend trying going to somewhere like safari cc in Tanzania and flying people around game parks and backwards and forwards from main airports such as Dar Es Salaam to game lodges. You'll get to discover all over Africa(which is glorious and interesting with the best views in the world!)get lots of oppurtunity to see all the wildlife and you'll meet alot of good people. Its a wild place. Try it. Warning though, the pay is crap!!
You may also meet some uber wealthy people who'll give you a job flying their Gulfstream when you get back!!!!??????
:ok: