PDA

View Full Version : First Officer positions in India

VGOIII
16th Apr 2008, 12:38
Im wondering if I've got certian options open to me, maybe some of you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm a British Citizen, but of Indian origin and hold a PIO card which I believe entitles me to gain employment in India.

Im a 1000 hour flight instructor in the UK, I also hold an FAA CPL MEIR.

Would I be a likley candidate for an Airline in India to want to take me on, put me through a type rating and hire me as a First Officer?

Also when converting to the DGCA license, I read one of the requirements is 10+2 education in maths and physics. I know I've got the UK equivlent of the 10, ie 10 years in high school with GSCE / O level passes. But the 2 years in Maths and physics afterwards which I think are equivalent to 2 A-levels, I don't have.

What I have got is the JAA CPL written exams, which the hours in the full time course are equivalent to A-levels, and the CAA think is of a higher difficulty level than A-levels. But no one seems to know how to get that compared to academic qualifications since those exams are not for any other reason than to fill a requirement for a license.

Any advice from you guys with the knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

WIKI44
16th Apr 2008, 17:11
Well. DGCA will not accept anything other than 12th grade physics and maths. There was some talk a few months back that this requirement was going to be removed but there has been no action since. There are very few other indians who have your kind of expirerience, who aren't already working. You have a massive advantage over other candidates. My suggestion is that you complete a maths and physics course by correspodence and sit the examinations. Atleast in India, they hold maths and physics board exams twice a year. A friend of mine also did not do 12th physics and mths, and is currently sitting for the examinations, to qualify for the issue of his license. Once you have that you have to take your documents to AIU - association of indian universities, where they will issue an equivilency certificate, if your documents are in order. This will then prove to the DGCA that you have 10+2 in maths and physics from a board of education that is recognised by india and is equivalent to the educational standards of india. With that and your expirerience you should find no trouble securing employment.
In fact I had an instructor who was also a PIO, and I had a tough time understanding why he wasn't headed to India for work.
Anyhow. As of now there are few airlines will to pay for the type ratings. Kingfisher airlines is accepting indian CPL holders and sponsoring the type ratings for the ATR fleet only. 320 type ratings are self sponsored. Jet required about $20,000 up front for the type rating.
Things probably wont change in the forseeable future. Gone are the days of walk-in interviews and spnored type ratings. Most airlines hold entrace exams/interviews every 3 to 4 months. Get on the websites and send them your resume. They will get back to you when they are holding examinations.
Still there are jobs avialable. Its just getting a bit more competitive.

If you need any help or further information just message me. Good luck.

metro301
16th Apr 2008, 18:38
I believe that India just banned the issuance and renewal of licences for expat FO's. There are some threads on the subject in this forum.

I have no idea if this would pertain to a PIO. Probably not, but you might want to check.

WIKI44
16th Apr 2008, 18:57
VGO i would also recommend you visit your nearest indian high commission to clarify the privileges of a PIO. My aforementioned instructor had a chat with his embassy and was informed that he has every right to work in India. There were some restrictions on voting, or becomming president....
Anyhow. First things first. Get 12th maths and physics done. the rest from there shouldn't be too hard. And as i mentioned before you are welcome to contact me if you want anyhelp.