PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue IT systems crash . . .

Pedota
16th Apr 2008, 12:24
Now this will slow things down for a while . . .

Flight delays predicted after Virgin's IT crash

Virgin Blue flights at all Australian airports are facing major disruption this evening after the airline's IT system crashed.

The Australia-wide system crashed for around 45 minutes this evening causing delays to flights, although it has now been fixed.

The airline's website was also unable to take bookings.

A spokeswoman for Virgin says there are still delays, mainly in Sydney and Melbourne.

PlankBlender
16th Apr 2008, 12:59
Virgin should fire their IT provider, quite frankly. Any major system that enables crucial operational processes is usually backed up by one or two mirror systems that can switch over in less than a second in case of primary system failure.

If they're not running such redundant systems, they now know at last that even a 45 minute outage costs more in lost business, delays, and bad PR, than building and keeping those systems in the first place.

I always thought esp. Virgin to be cleverer than that :rolleyes:

dirty deeds
16th Apr 2008, 22:19
But did the pilots help clean the Cabin on the turn around to help OTP.
Thats right, get the pilots to clean the cabin, but don't worry about I.T. Its all the pilots fault. What a joke.

blueloo
16th Apr 2008, 22:43
Maybe they use Qantas's IT system. (Its a stone abacus)

lowerlobe
16th Apr 2008, 23:25
Ahhh.....Yes...

Our Motto...

"Yesterday's Technology Tomorro"

Well,you can't save money if your spending it can you?:oh:

airjordan
16th Apr 2008, 23:32
maybe the I.T guys did not have enough 'command' experience fixing computers out in the bush or managing systems with 'twin' processors :rolleyes:

i wonder how many hours of keyboard punching they have logged
the ITSB better investigate

Howard Hughes
16th Apr 2008, 23:43
Or perhaps is was because of the level of the 'instruction' that the received, by someone who only had eyes for 'Sabre or 'Amadeus'...;)

tipsy2
17th Apr 2008, 02:52
"To err is human...............
To foul up completely requires a computer"

tipsy:cool:

Buster Hyman
17th Apr 2008, 03:05
Been there, done that, bought the t-sirt, read the book...blah, blah blah.

They just never learn. None of the carriers I worked for were ever interested to run a "manual" day to keep the troops "rated" for the inevitable chicken ups! (say it in French)

Although, I enjoyed the lady telling us how she sat on the tarmac for 90mins waiting for a gate! Yep, done that too, although I was the one that left them out there..."No, you can't park a 767 on gate one when theres an A320 at 3"...."No, were not going to marshall you inFFS!"... ahh, good times, good times...

Everything old is new again...

roamingwolf
17th Apr 2008, 03:09
To foul up completely requires a computer"
I don't know tipsy2 because I've seen some right royal screw ups that the clowns invloved could blame on anything but themselves.
The big problem here is that some people can't even work out the change needed when they buy lunch without a calculator.kids these days can't do a maths exam in year 8 without an electronic calculator.
With anything you need a back up that doesn't operate on the same system that has just taken a nose dive.
whats that joke about nasa when they spent tens of thousands if not more making a pen that would work in space and the russkies spent 15 cents and gave their boys a pencil.

sometimes I think we rely too much on technology.

tipsy2
17th Apr 2008, 05:23
sometimes I think we rely too much on technology

Couldn't agree more, there seems to be a generation of pilots that cannot get from A to B without a GPS/FMC or something else electronic to do it for them.

tipsy:ugh:

Van Gough
17th Apr 2008, 05:43
there is only so much a pretty face can do I guess;)

Talk about things going from bad to worse:ugh:

So if they where all ugly they would have done a better job???:confused::confused::confused:

HF3000
17th Apr 2008, 06:50
Fat ugly jerk steals your bar stool... hey d'head p'off ya knob.

Miss Universe steals your bar stool... Oh sorry were you sitting here? Oh, no probs, I prefer to stand, can I buy you a drink?

A pretty face stuffs up just as often but somehow the apology is more acceptable for some reason... :ok:

kalavo
17th Apr 2008, 09:34
I don't know tipsy2 because I've seen some right royal screw ups that the clowns invloved could blame on anything but themselves.
The big problem here is that some people can't even work out the change needed when they buy lunch without a calculator.kids these days can't do a maths exam in year 8 without an electronic calculator.
With anything you need a back up that doesn't operate on the same system that has just taken a nose dive.
whats that joke about nasa when they spent tens of thousands if not more making a pen that would work in space and the russkies spent 15 cents and gave their boys a pencil.

sometimes I think we rely too much on technology.

Actually NASA spent all of $2400 and the same pen was used by the Russians on their space flights. You can get them on Ebay pretty easily.

http://history.nasa.gov/spacepen.html

Yes the Year 8 Maths exams these days need a calculator, but there's also more than a few adults I know who would have never seen half the content in these exams either. Syllabuses have a tendency to evolve over time to meet perceived needs, obviously someone some where see's the need for kids to be able to operate graphics calculators and computers as being more important than mental arithmetic. If the community believes the schools have gone too far, you'll see the syllabus change again... if they don't then we're going to have an up hill battle teaching DR.

The same thing is slowly happening in Aviation - Morse Code is rarely taught these days and every NavAid plays Slow Code anyway. Getting notes on Celestial Navigation are just about impossible as well, a course hasn't been run for a few years in Adelaide now with Michael O'Leary retiring.