PDA

View Full Version : Fast track to CPL in Australia

xfsd
16th Apr 2008, 10:32
I am assessing a number of options to get me to CPL/ATPL with the intention to fly for a regional airline in Australia
Available is an approved fast track training course to CP with multi engine, command instrument rating and 200 hours.
A leg up is given with an almost guarantee to the right hand seat of a Saab or Metroliner with a regional carrier
Time - 22 weeks
Cost? AUD91k about 88,000USD

Their idea is to study ATPL whilst an FO

Alternatively - same as above with multi crew license, ATPL, emergency procedures, CRM, same hours, same offer of employment - 52 weeks similar price

Any thoughts on fast track or in general

Regards,

airman1
16th Apr 2008, 10:59
In my experience the 22-week fast track course isn’t very realistic. You have to allow for weather, instructor shortage and planes constantly in matanence. I completed a full time course, which was sussposeded to be finished in 45 weeks it ran 2 months over!!! Just be carefully of paying up front and do your research!!!

90k sounds a little expensive........When I was shopping around and did my training (CPL/MECIR about 250hrs) went for about 58k.

Rugbyears
16th Apr 2008, 13:12
22 weeks - Are you serious, without being too facetious that is ridiculous. I can’t see how one could study for ATPL’s whilst partaking in other duties within such a limited timeframe. The course structure sounds extremely intensive, two or three days off ill and you would find yourself so far behind - you’d be screwed..? Plus 200 hours flight time – this is mental!! Think carefully about your health if I was you, just too much in such a small space of time.:ok:

Mesopause
20th Apr 2008, 10:44
xfsd it wont take long for you to c you get a lot of negativity on this site!!!

Would bet airman1 and rugbyears own competing flight schools to fast track from their comments.

It is always prudent to speak to students who are actually doing the course so i suggest you contact all the flying schools u r interested in and ask to speak to their students who r actually on course.

these guys can usually give you the best advice of their course. If the schools wont link u with past & present students they have something to hide so i suggest u give them a big miss.

from the student photos on their website it would appear fast track are signing up students australia wide. :D:D:D:D:D

samtheman88
20th Apr 2008, 12:34
I know the fast track course works it just depends on how quick you want to get into the industry.

I did the course in 18 weeks so it is definately possible i know another guy who did it in 16 weeks.

The course actually allows for sickness, weather and lack of instructors. you could be sick for as long as you wanted and you wouldnt fall behind, because there arent any theory teachers you learn at ur own pace and the theory is learnt online. This means you might take longer if you do get sick but unlike structured classroom courses you dont fall behind because its all at your own pace.

I would reccomend anyone thinking about getting into the industry to talk with the fast track company and see if it is for you. Like anything its not for every one but it is a good way i believe to start your career.

airman1
20th Apr 2008, 13:06
Mesopause........

I said the time wasn’t very realistic not impossible it definitely can be done!!! But by the time you study and get through the CPL subjects build the hours wait around for a testing officer and then finally do the test, the weeks tend to add up very quickly. My trouble wasn’t getting to the CPL level that seems to happen quite quickly but waiting around for an IFR instructor to do a couple of IFR Navs was my biggest hurdle. The school lost 5 IFR instructors in 2 months to regional airlines :=

I just didn’t want XFSD to think that it would be a definite CPL/MECIR at the end of the 22 weeks. A fellow classmate of mine had a wife and kids and had about 45 weeks leave owning to him from his previous job and he was banking on the course being finished on time. In the end he was working nights/ arvos to support his family and Trying to fly during the day and was totally exhausted by the end of it. :ugh:

gulliBell
20th Apr 2008, 13:11
That's a lot of money to invest, and to my thinking the risk far exceeds the likely reward. Firstly there is no doubt there are many good choices for spending the money on quality training. But the reality at the end of the training pipeline will be predicated by your age. At 48 years of age, with what amounts to only a basic licence with no operational experience, your options will be very limited. Employers look for experience co-measurate with age, and that means at 48 you should be an experienced Captain on an RPT heavy jet, and not a CPL with 200 hours. Employers hire pilots as future Captains, and at 48 you are going to reach retirement age before gaining the skills and experience needed to make Captain.

That will be a very difficult hurdle to overcome.

The other thing is to take stock of your new career and what you want to achieve, being mindful that in all likelihood you'll be a career co-pilot with very little prospect of command.

But one has to admire your motivation. If you have the money to burn then go for it, and good luck. Just don't be disappointed if promises don't turn into reality.

Mesopause
20th Apr 2008, 15:10
Hey xfsd

Because this fast track mob are located downunder i suggest you repost ur question on the following forum:

Dunnunda & Godzone - D&G General Aviation & Questions

You will probably get a better response from the aussies.

Maybe one of the Moderators might be kind enough to repost it for you.

Cheers

Mesopause

Justin.C
27th Apr 2008, 11:44
i did the fast track course and although very intense it was the best way to go in my opinion, I knocked over my cpl in about 4 months, and within 10 months of my starting flying I`m now flying turboprop a/c as an F/O. most people i new that started around that time on another course were still finishing their cpl. It`s not for everyone, but if you want to be a career pilot and want to get into it as quick as possible i very highly recommend it :ok:, if anyone wants a bit more info shoot me a pm

cheers ,