PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Rating - Quickie

markymark24
16th Apr 2008, 05:44
If I want to do my Commercial airplane in the U.S. do I need a flight training M1 visa, some forums have suggested that you don't need a visa for the commercial rating? Can someone clarify? I know you need it for Instrument rating or multi rating. But unsure on the CAX.

Thank you!!

Mark

Shunter
16th Apr 2008, 06:20
Yes, you need a visa to do your CPL in the states. You can't do your IR over there, has to be done in a JAA country (unless you're going FAA, you didn't say). The only thing you don't need a visa for is things like rental checkouts etc... (as they're not classed as training).

Just to be pedantic, commercial is a license, not a rating.

sparx007
16th Apr 2008, 07:22
absolutely you need a(n) M-1 visa for commercial training in the USA. and SEVIS and FAA airmans certificate. The whole process for me took about 4 weeks and it weren't as bad as i feared....there is a lot of paperwork but as long as you get the necessary info together its pretty simple though sometimes a little tedious...

S

D O Guerrero
16th Apr 2008, 14:38
To add to what Sparx said - don't bank on it going smoothly even if you think it should be no problem. I know a guy who's name was similar to someone in their 'worldwide WMD database' or whatever they call it. They kept him waiting for so long that he has now given up and decided to do it all here. It can be a very laborious and drawn out process...

mcgoo
16th Apr 2008, 14:57
Mark, are you sure the other forums were not talking about TSA approval, which is not required for a CPL, only initial PPL, ME, IR and type ratings require TSA approval, maybe that's what they meant.