PDA

View Full Version : Quit Hunting?

A10Warthog
15th Apr 2008, 14:09
Greetings.

I enjoy the sport of grouse, goose and random bird hunting on my times of from the turboprop. But lately, espesially my right ear is starting to hurt. It happend last weekend. Small buzzing sound has also occured. I wonder if it might be the time to quit this hobby. I real enjoy it, though. Great fun and exersise walking the mountains.

Any thoughts on this subject or from "hunting pilots"

:bored:

gingernut
15th Apr 2008, 14:30
Ditch the shooter, and get a camera.

Or some ear plugs:)

High pitched "cracks" and airlines tend to stop the short hairs in the hearing mechanism from vibrating correctly, bit like spilling custard on a guitar. The trouble is, they stop to work anyway at about your age.

Contacttower
15th Apr 2008, 14:30
Are you wearing ear defenders?

I went for a period of exposure to repeated 5.56mm rifle fire without any hearing protection and after a while I would get intermitent ringing in my ears for months afterwards. I don't know if it did any long term damage, but it can't be good.

A10Warthog
15th Apr 2008, 16:40
Is there also any link between "tinnitus" and airsickness'?

Legalapproach
15th Apr 2008, 17:59
Old Bean,

Hunting grouse?

One shoots grouse and hunts foxes.

Joking apart use a pair of ear defenders or, better still, get a pair of noise attenuating earplugs. These can be quite expensive but can be moulded to fit inside your ear- I am told that they are very effective.

:ok:

J D
15th Apr 2008, 20:14
Legalapproach has got it right! Do yourself a favor and get yourself the noise attenuating earplugs. I use and reccomend these. I have shot on average 500 12ga rounds weekly on the skeet range as well as shooting my high powered hunting rifles several times a month for the past 2 decades. I have also flown the mighty T-37 Converter and the Herk both of which can be hard on the ears. Despite all of this I score top marks on my annual audiograms. Hearing protection...use it!!

Cheers,
JD

A10Warthog
15th Apr 2008, 22:01
Thank, great advice?
Do you have a link or a brand name of those earplugs!!

gingernut
22nd Apr 2008, 09:26
If someones PM'd me about the contents of this thread, could you please re-send? sorry I've inadvertantly deleted it.

Bravo73
23rd Apr 2008, 18:05
Thank, great advice?
Do you have a link or a brand name of those earplugs!!

http://www.ultimateear.com/shooters.htm

:ok:

niknak
23rd Apr 2008, 23:26
A10, I'm not a medical expert, but think logically and when travelling at speed in a car, train or aeroplane, the sense of balance is directly proportional to the what you can see or hear.
If you have a hearing defect in one ear, it's certainly going affect your percieved sense of balance and consequently could be the direct link with air sickness.
Don't just rely upon me, take medical advice.