PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training Barcelona

187nj
15th Apr 2008, 11:52
Hi,

I'm moving to Barcelona next week for a new job and I want to carry on studying for my PPL. Does anyone have any school recomendations? I have found Aerolink at Sabadell Airport but I'd like to know if anyone has any more information.

Thank you please.

LH2
15th Apr 2008, 17:35
PPL theory must be sat in Spanish. By and large, all PPL teaching and R/T in the Barcelona area (i.e., Sabadell) is in Spanish as well, so unless you're fully comfortable with that, you might be better off poping back to the UK to finish your PPL over the course of a few weekends.

187nj
16th Apr 2008, 10:56
LH2.

Thanks for that. Well, that seems to of put me off going altogether now!

How did you find this out?

Cheers.

LH2
16th Apr 2008, 18:14
How did you find this out?

By asking, which is what I suggest you do, as my information is a couple years old and things might have changed (although I doubt it). Number of schools there, call one after the other until you find someone who can speak English :)

Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3986379)'s another possibility.

187nj
17th Apr 2008, 13:07
LH2.

Just to let you know the majority of Sabadell's flights are VFR and ATC is in English and Spanish. There are four flight training schools at Sabadell all of which have English instructors. VFR is not permitted over El Prat, Barcelona.

Thanks for the help.

LH2
17th Apr 2008, 19:12
the majority of Sabadell's flights are VFR and ATC is in English and Spanish

Yes I know, I'm very familiar with the area. LELL ATC's English is generally dodgy (although as it's a requirement, of course they can more or less speak it) and most of the often dense local traffic (Sabadell is VFR light acft only) are Spanish PPLs and students bimbling about who only speak Spanish. Not the best for your situational awareness unless you are fluent in their language (I am, btw)

There are four flight training schools at Sabadell all of which have English instructors

Do you mean instructors from England, or English-speaking instructors? If the former, it's a complete surprise to me and I'm obviously much more out of touch than I believed, if the latter, you would want to make sure you are comfortable with their level of fluency before you commit to anything. Of those four training schools, one is a definite don't-get-anywhere-near-it according to a couple of acquaintances of mine who are involved in legal proceedings with them (can't remember the name right now, but I can ask if interested). The other two I don't know much about, and then there is Top-Fly, who apparently train a good number of Spanish pilots--and nowadays also Chinese. I know they offer CPL training in English but as I said previously, the PPL has to be done in Spanish.

VFR is not permitted over El Prat, Barcelona

Class A, and they don't accept SVFR, life there is complicated enough as it is without us pottering through. There is a low-level VFR corridor along the coast though, but you would normally transit on the other side, through Sabadell. It's all in the Jepps.

Hope this helps.

(btw, questions about PPLs belong to the Private Flying forum)