PDA

View Full Version : Twelve O'Clock High

Stationair8
15th Apr 2008, 10:10
Purchased the DVD Twelve O'Clock High and after watching it, was their a TV series by the same name during the early 1970's?

aviate1138
15th Apr 2008, 10:21
From imdb.com [internet movie database]

" 'Twelve O'Clock High', the television version of Gregory Peck's classic war film, was a remarkable achievement when it debuted, in 1964. While utilizing stock war footage for bombardment and dogfight scenes, the story lines addressed the timeless issues of warfare (heroism and cowardice, integrity, loyalty) on an intimate scale that 'the big screen' couldn't match. It also made a star of Robert Lansing, the rugged, pensive actor who had previously garnered rave reviews in the series, '87th Precinct'. His 'Frank Savage' was a man of courage and a conscience, and he lifted each episode far above the 'typical' TV war show of the era.

With a soaring, beautiful theme (by the versatile Dominic Frontiere), the strong production values of Quinn Martin, and a veteran supporting cast including Frank Overton and John Larkin, the series garnered rave reviews, and was poised for a long, award-winning 'life' on the small screen.

Unfortunately, ABC stepped in, however, and decided to 'improve' the series..."

The rest is history....:rolleyes:

Stationair8
15th Apr 2008, 10:38
Thanks for that, do you know if it was one hour episodes?

aviate1138
16th Apr 2008, 17:33
Stationair asked "Thanks for that, do you know if it was one hour episodes?"

According to imdb.com they made 78 I hour episodes [actually about 46 minutes without ads]
over 3 years.

I will have to get an episode to look at.......

Stationair8
17th Apr 2008, 22:31
Thanks for that, I have a hazy recollection of our local TV station showing some episodes during the early 1970's as a fill in on quiet weekend afternoons.

It was unfortunately long before VCR's or DVD recorders!

aviate1138
18th Apr 2008, 09:31
S'8

http://www.tvaddicts.tv/movie/action/Twelve_OClock_High.html

It will be NTSC but at about 37 UK Pounds for all 78 Eps it seems a bargain! :)