PDA

View Full Version : Does ICAO issue licenses

AvEnthusiast
15th Apr 2008, 09:56
Hello,

I have been to ICAO training directory and there it states that ICAO does not recognize any training orgranization, program, institution http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/peltrgFAQ.htm#50

and then there they have the TRAINAIR program and TRAINAIR approved training organizations. then what makes the difference?

And I also had in mind that there are no ICAO approved organizations such as are by FAA part 61 and 141 or as JAR approved. But recently, a director of civil aviation institute told me that he is working with ICAO advisors to have an ICAO compliance training organization and then their licenses would be internationally recognized. So, I was wondering if ICAO has international licenses. What I know is that organizations approved by government and licenses issued by those government which are ICAO contracting states can be called ICAO licenses, or what is your impression?
Regards,
Aventhusiast

Whirlygig
15th Apr 2008, 12:10
What I know is that organizations approved by government and licenses issued by those government which are ICAO contracting states can be called ICAO licenses, or what is your impression?
Yep, that's my impression as well!

Licences are issued by a Contracting State. I have a JAA licence issued in the UK by the CAA. It's a UK licence, A JAA licence and an ICAO licence.

Other than that, I'm not sure what your question is??

Cheers

Whirls

Bealzebub
15th Apr 2008, 12:17
The answer is no. It is one of the FAQ's on the ICAO website. The answer is :

ICAO licence or international licence

ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.

For more information, please refer to Annex 1, Chapter 1, paragraph 1.2.2.

AvEnthusiast
15th Apr 2008, 13:31
Thanks fellows. It's fine with me I have read ICAO annex 1 and the requirement there in. Let's re-arrange the question. Do you know if there are directly ICAO approved FTOs or Maintenance Organization? I think not, and I can't remember on which document of ICAO; I have only read about the requirements of approved FTO and Maintenance Organizations, but these rumours makes us confused.