PDA

View Full Version : Medical Pre-Check up!

Rugbyears
14th Apr 2008, 17:30
Class 1 Medical booked in for Monday 8:30.....

During this past week I have spent a small fortune carrying out pre-medical check ups - Pleased to say all appears to be normal, that is except cholesterol levels and ECG readout.

Cholesterol.........Results 5 (is this to high to obtain a pass!)
Haemoglobin......Results 4.5
Peak Flow...........Results 600
Vision.................Results Glasses not required, not colour blind either
Auditory.............Results Within normal limits
ECG....................Printout reads (Sinus rhythm with premature atrial complexes Otherwise normal ECG) Think this was attributed to a high resting plus rate [93] as a result of Nervous!!!

Is there anything else usually tested that I have not pre-checked..?

Really, I'm rather worried about the Cholesterol reading - I'm 6 foot exact and weigh approximately 15.5 stone. Has anyone experience a similar reading on an ECG readout who can confirm exact meaning..?

AMEandPPL
14th Apr 2008, 18:36
If your haemoglobin really is 4.5 and the units are the conventional ones ( G/100ml ) then you need a blood transfusion immediately ! !

14.5 is more like it, and completely normal.

Cholesterol of exactly 5 should cause no problems at all, I wish mine
were that low ! !

Now then, where did I put my next statin tablet . . . . . . . . . . ?

Rugbyears
14th Apr 2008, 19:25
Oops....Thanks AMEandPPL!!!!!

Nope sorry, my Blood Count is spot on, that result should have read:

Blood Suger........Results 4.5

Hawk
14th Apr 2008, 21:44
General discussion of prelims or pre-medicals is fine. However, the Site would prefer that members do not attempt to interpret an individual's specific test results. Those results are best considered in context and within a face-to-face professional medical environment.

Nevertheless, thank you to AME for correcting and contributing.

Med Mods.

Rugbyears
14th Apr 2008, 22:13
Understood!:oh:

gingernut
15th Apr 2008, 08:59
In general terms, the printout attached to ecgs are usually unreliable.

Again, in general terms, most human variables (eg height, cholesterol, bp etc), sit in between a range which we consider "normal" for the western world.

(If your interested, look at "bell-curve distribution).

It's only when things sit outside what we consider "normal" do aviation quacks become interested.

Others are coming from a slightly different perspective, and try and "shift" the bell curve.:)

Bit deep for a Tuesday, I know.

I should imagine they'll check your urine, for sugar, blood and protein, take a medical history and perform a comprehensive examination. From what of seen on this forum, your eye and lung examination will be a little more detailed than what you underwent.

As a matter of interest, what did you pay for your pre-medical check up, and what was promised?

Rugbyears
15th Apr 2008, 10:42
Gingernut - I actually paid a small fortune when all sums are added together, more so, considering I have already paid £317 for the actual medical itself!

£75 - ECG at Private medical - Actual print out which reads the following message at the top (Lots of statistics to the left, to the right the following message Sinus rhythm with premature atrial complexes Otherwise normal ECG) obviously the main reading below - no more than 10mins!!
NB...If you have chest hair insist that they first shave it...it hurt

£64 - Auditory at Private Doctor - Within a cubical with earphones on, I was required to press a button upon hearing a tone, each tone would slightly differ in pitch and became steadily fainter. Tested each ear - no more than 10mins!!

£19 – Vision at Opticians - Eye test, Colour Blindness (set of test cards) also peripheral vision which required looking into a box and pressing a button the moment a little black dot was identifiable, Oh yes, you are required to wear an eye patch!!! - no more than 30mins!!

Free - Peak Flow at Private medical – Quick sharp exhale into a tube (Technique dependent, first 2 results were 320 and 410). Using the correct technique the reading averaged between 600 and 650 - no more than 5mins!!

£14 – Cholesterol at Lloyds Pharmacy- They require a pin prick of blood similar to the sugar count, pop it into the computer. They then check your blood pressure, family history and predict how your heart will fair in the future (Mystic Meg!) They also recommend the level of exercise one should participate in order to minimise risks - no more than 15mins!!

Free - Sugar Count at Lloyds Pharmacy - They require a pin prick of blood - no more than 5mins!!

gingernut
15th Apr 2008, 10:49
I guess if it's given you peace of mind, it may be money well spent.

Interestingly, depending on your age, your doc probably would have conducted some of the tests for nowt on the nhs.

Without wishing to go against hawks post, it does sound as if your as fit as a butchers dog.

The odds are, you'll live to a ripe old age. Unless you get run over.:)

homonculus
18th Apr 2008, 21:39
Whilst I pay my mortgage from people wanting me to mend them, I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would waste their time and money on pre test tests.

Apart from my concern that some of the pre tests may not have been as accurate as one might wish, there is nothing you can do about it. I am sure you are not for a moment going to think about not telling your AME of any abnormal test when you roll up for the real thing! If anything is seriously amiss (such as pre mortum haemaglobins) you will end up with a doctor and have to declare.

Anyhow, good luck.

gingernut
18th Apr 2008, 22:41
Whilst I pay my mortgage from people wanting me to mend them, I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would waste their time and money on pre test tests.

'cos they dream the dream-enjoy the next 25 years of paying your mortgage.....ps it's going up soon.:)

AMEandPPL
19th Apr 2008, 14:10
Irrespective of the rationale for getting these "pre-checks" done prior to going to Aviation House for an initial JAA class 1 medical - and I must admit I have some sympathy for the idea of knowing about any problem before you are told about it in an environment where your whole intended career may be put in jeopardy - it is interesting to note the enormous variations there seem to be just in the costs involved.

In my practice the recording of an Audiogram and the recording of an ECG ( yes, fully interpretive) are each charged at £ 40. Quite a difference from the £64 and £75 respectively that you paid !

On the other hand, I am amazed to see just £14 for cholesterol. The lab I use for the lipid profiles required at first medical after turning 40 yrs charges me £55 for this (admittedly a few parameters in addition just to serum cholesterol).

Seems some shopping around is probably worthwhile, as usual !

BTW, I agree with gingernut's reference to your condition resembling the meat-vendor's canine companion ! Good luck !

Rugbyears
19th Apr 2008, 17:13
The purpose of a “Pre-Medical Check up” is to determine one’s own health prior to attending what could possibly be a career threatening appointment. Of course, I agree, it is somewhat of a costly duplication of procedures, despite this, I retain the notion, arguing that a Proactive approach is always best. Any advance warning of unforeseen complications will allow one sufficient time in which to establish exact facts and address such issues appropriately.

Of course this is only my opinion, if we all agreed, all of the time, I’m confident the world would be a boring place to inhabit!!

homonculus
19th Apr 2008, 20:08
Although I tried to be tongue in cheek in my last posting, there is a serious issue here. First, if you are reasonably young and/or fit, the chance of these tests picking up a problem is miniscule. The ECG may identify ischaemic problems but this is normally seen well into a flying career and not at the start. High blood pressure on a random reading is far more likely to be due to anxiety under 40 than a sign of disease, so far from reducing stress we are just piling it on.

There is a growing misconception, fuelled by commercial organisations with vested interests, that more and more screening can only be good for you. I see several patients a year on my intensive care who have been given false positive results and go down a slippery slope. Rugbyear's haemoglobin is just a case in point.

A proper examination by a doctor, testing the urine for diabetes and examining the back of the eyes may be of value. Isolated tests are not. Having invested massive amounts of money into a dream of a flying career it is no wonder we all get nervous when we go for a medical (I am no exception) but it is disingenuous to promote pre check checks.

Hopefully the medical department at Gatwick and indeed all AMEs have some empathy and on the rare occasion when a problem is identified they will be supportive and sympathetic - certainly my colleagues who advise the CAA take this approach.

Bahn-Jeaux
19th Apr 2008, 21:15
Just had my class 2 renewal and the ECG said that I had had a heart attack.
AME looked at me and didnt believe it so adjusted position and then it said I had Arythmia before re adjusting and being fine so although your ECG may seem slightly off to you, dont take anything a machine says as gospel.

If I had paid for a single ECG as in your case, I would have been hot footing it down to casualty straight afterwards but the AME was thorough, and checked and rechecked before declaring me OK.

gingernut
19th Apr 2008, 21:20
Come on let's face it, the purpose of the aviation medical is to try and predict the risk of pilots dropping dead in the cockpit.

If anyone can provide any evidence that it works, then I shall show my bottom in the Vatican.

At best, the medical definately rules in, and rules out those at the periphery, those in the middle are left to guess work.

The health checks offered to Rail staff are probably more reliable and valid.

ps. resting ecg's are probably a little better than worthless. A little like trying to predict the weather in August, by using today's air pressure.

Sorry to be so cynical, but having worked in the system for many years, it's obvious that the interventios that actually improves health are limited in number.

Immunisations, clean water and statin's probably help.

Sceening tests are very limited, they may predict the risk of someone becoming ill, but they don't usually tell us which ones will become ill.

The rest is in our own hands:)

AMEandPPL, is that you A?

Mouton Rothschild
21st Apr 2008, 13:57
Gingernut is quite right about the resting ecg. As a predictive tool, it is as much use as t*ts on a bull. It can only tell you what has happened, never what is going to happen. As a case in point, I renewed my Class 1 which included a resting ecg, which showed a normal sinus rhythm. BP was described as upper normal, but passable. Within 2 weeks I had a serious heart attack and lost my licence. It's all about lifestyle, family history etc etc.. Personally, I would be inclined to do what you can lifestyle wise ( Diet, smoking, alcohol etc) and leave the rest to chance.

Rugbyears
22nd Apr 2008, 17:39
Quick update......

I passed, Full Class One Unrestricted!! Wow, very intense morning though, from 8.30 till 11.45 - I must say however, the medical staff, particularly the Nurses were fantastic. On the day, one of the guy's was really finding it difficult to achieve the necessary grade on the Lung Function Test - His particular nurse really tried her very best to encourage and guide him, almost 45mins later he finally made bang on 70%....!

In my opinion, they were not there to prove you are fit to fly, rather, that you were unfit to fly. The optometrist was very thorough, I would recommend an eye test prior to going for you medical, purely for the simple reason, if one requires prescribed lenses unknowingly, they will fail their medical as a result, however, if appropriate prescribed lenses are worn on the day, it would be expected that minimum pass targets are achieved..!!

;):ok:

gingernut
22nd Apr 2008, 20:25
Fantastic mate- happy flyin'

particularly the Nurses were fantastic

(they usually are;))

Rugbyears
22nd Apr 2008, 20:46
Cheers Mate....:ok:

(they usually are;))...lol....

SOTV
22nd Apr 2008, 21:01
The health checks offered to Rail staff are probably more reliable and valid.

Before BR was taken outside and shot the railway doctors did provide a more comprehensive service than we get now. The majority of companies use BUPA.

The parameters differ only slightly between a Class One CAA and a drivers medical. Slightly more demanding on the audiology, slightly less on the optical. We have no spirometry tests or cholesterol checks.

Private companies will test only to the minimums required and all the extras that BR provided are mostly gone. No company AFAIK ever makes staff pay for medicals.

Rugbyears
22nd Apr 2008, 21:10
No company AFAIK ever makes staff pay for medicals

SOTV – Sad thing is, a lot of are not yet staff..!!!!! Where’s the logic in that I ask you..?

gingernut
22nd Apr 2008, 21:19
Good points SOTV, it's difficult to be frank without casting aspersions, but let's me adult about this, the random tox screen is probably the most valid tool in the rail doctors kit?

SOTV
24th Apr 2008, 20:07
There are a few occasions when you will be medscreened. Before appointment to a safety critical post. Before promotion to another safety critical post. For cause after a safety of the line incident (including suicides). On suspicion of being unfit through drink or drugs. On a random basis.

Another tool is the random breath test for alcohol which is used quite frequently when booking on for duty.

The random tests are in my opinion a good thing. Initially my reaction was it is a bleedin cheek etc etc. However, any test that protects my arse when accusations are flying about is fine by me.