PDA

View Full Version : What should i do!!!!!??????

aviatordom
14th Apr 2008, 11:30
Hi all,

Just out of interest, how much is it to obtain a CPL?

Would it be better for me to obtain my CPL and then take the tests to hold an ATPL?

Or should i get a PPL and then try and go on a cadetship? Are these cadetships worthwhile, would i have a good chance of being accepted to go on one?

Kind regards,

aviatordom

TACHO
14th Apr 2008, 11:50
The cost of a CPL can vary, prices range from about £35000 upwards. Its probably worth going for an ATPL as the theory exams are very similar.
I would recommend you take a trial lesson before deciding that you want to embark upon a career in aviation.
With regards to applying to scholarship/sponsorship schemes then my advice would be as follows. If you dont put your hands out you cant catch the ball. apply and let them tell you whether you are what they want or not. Some schemes require zero flying hours to embark upon them (let alone a ppl) so exhaust those avenues before you start shelling out thousands of pounds for hours in a spam can.
Look up Lasors on the CAA website for an idea of what the actual requirements are for a CPL/ATPL/PPL etc....

edit: just noticed your profile says that you are 13. You need to be 18 years old before you can hold a cpl, and 17 before you can hold a PPL. therefore to take lessons before you can even go solo would be simply throwing your money away, a trila lesson might still be good to give you an idea as to whether you like it or not, and also may be a good way to show an early interest in aviation when it comes to applying for sponsorship schemes when you finally do meet the minimum age requirements.

Hope this help

cheerio!

Tacho

aviatordom
14th Apr 2008, 12:44
Thanks for the advice...

I have already taken a trial lesson, and i know that i can't go solo until i'm 16, so at the moment i'm revising using the AFE Flying Training PPL book

Squawk 2650
14th Apr 2008, 15:06
Take up gliding. Its a cheap way to start flying while you are young and also an excellent way to learn how to fly! You still cant go solo tho until you are 16. See if you can maybe get a weekend job at your local flying club you'll find lots of people there who can offer great advise!

S
:cool:

Squawk 2650
14th Apr 2008, 15:26
Very good advise iFlyPilot! It makes life alot easier to have good grades to your name!!

S
:cool: