PDA

View Full Version : Backups and Cloning

The late XV105
14th Apr 2008, 10:23
Background:

Because my Core Duo 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM (Max 3GB addressed of course) XP SP2 MCE home PC was purchased for video rendering and resultant DVD authoring, as well as appropriate motherboard, CPU, and RAM it is specced accordingly on the HDD front, too; two 320GB 7500.10 SATA Barracudas, one 500GB 7500.11 SATA Barracuda, and two 1TB eSATA FreeAgent Pro external HDDs for primary and secondary data backup. Tertiary data backup is to a remote network storage location.

16 months down the line, performance remains stonking and (touch wood) I haven't need primary, let alone secondary or tertiary backups yet, although I do test them periodically.

Questions:

HDD humidy toleranceAlthough none of the backup devices are kept in the house - for fire, flood, and theft resistance - I would like to keep the primary FreeAgent device in the garage (a remote building of its own) for convenience. Never hotter (say 38 deg C) than HDD operating limits in the summer, it is none the less cold & dampish in the winter. If I use a plastic box that is only ever sealed and unsealed in the house and wait for the HDD to reach room temperature before using it, is storing it in the garage a sensible option as well as a convenient one?

Cloning SoftwareHaving invested considerable effort in to configuration, I wish to protect against HDD failure wiping out the o/s and program file partitions by cloning the disk they reside on. Is Norton Ghost as good as any other or should I look at other products?

Cloned HDD sizeThe o/s and Program Files currently sit in two partitions on one of the 320GB 7500 RPM HDDs and together occupy about 18GB. Can I do the cloning to a 80GB 10,000 RPM Raptor or similar to gain further performance advantage (already blazing to be honest) as well as get a clone in the process? If so I will do this and use the Raptor, keeping the current 320GB HDD as backup.

TVM,
XV105

Bushfiva
14th Apr 2008, 11:30
I've used Ghost in the past, but currently I use Acronis, which for disaster management can clone drives and do other backup tasks, including full, incrementals and differentials. It can also be set up to back up to a hidden partition on the local drive.

It will let you clone to a larger or smaller drive, and expand/shrink the partition(s) to fill the larger drive in pretty much any way you want.

Finally, you can create bootable rescue media so you can recover from a failed drive. I've got a thin USB stick which is glued to one of my notebooks, for example.

The late XV105
14th Apr 2008, 12:11
Thanks, Bushfiva. I didn't think of Acronis for cloning despite being perfectly happy with their Disk Manager 10 application that I used to partition my HDDs. I'll follow this up.

What about question 1, please, anyone; okay, or drop the idea?

Ta muchly.

Bushfiva
14th Apr 2008, 12:54
Try it and find out :-) Put a dessicant bag in the box, seal the box, then see how quickly the indicator changes colour. If it seems OK, then you could trust your drive in the box.

cdtaylor_nats
14th Apr 2008, 13:08
I recently invested in a 16GByte USB Stick which holds all my must have files for continued life after disaster. It generally lives in my desk at work

Basil
20th May 2008, 11:54
Point for buying Acronis in the UK.
If you go to the Acronis UK (http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/?source=uk_google&ad=acronis&s_scid=acronis|943563894&gclid=CKy4pZCAtZMCFQyR1QodbgSTCg) website, you'll be offered Acronis True Image 11 Home for £39.95.
If you go to the DealTaker (http://www.dealtaker.com/Acronis-coupon-code-a2038-c.html) website you will find a discount coupon
*DealTaker Exclusive* 20% off on True Image
Coupon Code: MAY20ATI
Expires: 5/31/08
Click HERE To access Acronis

Added by: BigAlRap
which will link you to the Acronis.com (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) website which, if you insert the DealTaker code: MAY20ATI, will give a reduction on a price already lower than the UK price. It will add VAT to the bill for EU purchasers making a total of $45.99

ZFT
20th May 2008, 13:28
Another benefit of Acronis is their excellent Customer Services.

During a recent cloning problem their response(s) were very good and they even repeatedly hassled me to confirm all was well.

Having used Acronis in anger, I can attest that is works as advertised.