PDA

View Full Version : PAL Lighting Question

Stationair8
14th Apr 2008, 10:23
How does one know if the PAL lighting system at your destination aerodrome is one that when activated stays on for 30 minutes or 60 minutes?
I cannot find any reference for it in ERSA.
Over to the Pprune experts.

SmokingHole
14th Apr 2008, 10:38
....from the AIP, AD

4.17.2 PAL will remain illuminated for 30 to 60 minutes depending on the
installation timer setting. The wind indicator light will flash
continuously during the last 10 minutes of lighting illumination to
warn users that the lights are about to extinguish. To maintain
continuity of lighting, repeat the activation sequence.

might depend on traffic density as to which setting is used.

laser650
14th Apr 2008, 11:25
My take is that it would be 30min on, unless otherwise stated.

After sifting through some aerodromes I found Meekatharra as an example, and attached is the airservices link.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/ersa/FAC_YMEK_13-Mar-2008.pdf

Cheers

:) laser

Jabawocky
14th Apr 2008, 11:52
Just do not activate it from 40 miles out if you are in a 60 knot machine:}

topend3
14th Apr 2008, 11:58
many systems are 60 mins, and also have an aural indication on the lighting frequency as well as the flashing lights on the windsock

GoDsGiFtToAvIaTiOn
14th Apr 2008, 11:59
How does one know if the PAL lighting system at your destination aerodrome is one that when activated stays on for 30 minutes or 60 minutes?

The 30 min ones turn off after 1800 secs! The 60 min ones about twice that!

GG

Ultralights
14th Apr 2008, 12:10
might depend on traffic density as to which setting is used.

in todays economic reality, setting would be defined by operating cost, and nothing more. :hmm:

FGD135
14th Apr 2008, 12:23
I agree with Ultralights - in most cases, the economics would dictate the period over which the lights remain on.

Can we ask why you have asked this question?

Knowing whether they are about to extinguish or not is a more relevent detail and this can be ascertained by observing whether the WDI lighting is flashing or not.

Stationair8
14th Apr 2008, 12:35
Up until the late 80's most PAL systems stayed on for 60 minutes, but the newer ones are now for 30 minutes.

I operate into a number of places and most are 30 minutes, but also a number are still 60 minutes.

The question was asked by the ATO for an IFR renewal, in the case of what you would do on departure if you had return due to an engine fire or failure.

I was taught to reactivate the lights on taxi, in case of returning to the aerodrome etc.

Unhinged
14th Apr 2008, 13:09
Knowing whether they are about to extinguish or not is a more relevent detail and this can be ascertained by observing whether the WDI lighting is flashing or not.

Be aware that not all WDI flash in the last 10 minutes.

When I was doing my initial NVFR training (early 90's) we were on short final at Goulburn and it suddenly went very dark indeed. YGLB is a true black hole at night, no horizon, no ground lighting in the vicinity, nasty. Thankfully my instructor was on the ball, took over, missed approach, etc, etc.

Had we stuffed up ? Nope, because there was no mention anywhere at that time that the WDI doesn't flash at Goulburn. The notam that was generated after we got home and started asking questions is still pasted in my old logbook. Nowadays it gets a mention in ERSA of course, but I still think they should just fix the bloody thing.

Maybe it's the only one, maybe not.

VH-XXX
14th Apr 2008, 13:35
Was on final at Lilydale pitch black one night when they turned off, only to realise after scrounging around for a while in ersa that PAL frequency is actually CTAF freqency!

PyroTek
14th Apr 2008, 14:33
I seem to have read somewhere, I think in one of my BAK text books? That it's always a good idea to do the clicks on frequency just before joining final, so you don't get plunged into darkness...

Ando1Bar
15th Apr 2008, 04:12
I seem to have read somewhere, I think in one of my BAK text books? That it's always a good idea to do the clicks on frequency just before joining final, so you don't get plunged into darkness...

I disagree with this, you should be concentrating on flying at this point, not keying lights 600-700ft above the ground possibly in a descending turn. Check the lights on downwind, if they are not flashing at this point, it shouldn't take you 10 mins to touch down.

If you are concerned about the lights not having a flashing capability, you should key them on downwind.

PyroTek
15th Apr 2008, 05:35
not keying lights 600-700ft above the ground possibly in a descending turn...

mhm, i was talking about during base... Whatever floats your boat, dont bite my head off!

Ando1Bar
15th Apr 2008, 08:21
600-700 in a descending turn usually means 'just before joining final'.

I'm not biting anyone's head off, just giving you something to consider. You'll see what is meant when the time comes.

topend3
15th Apr 2008, 08:25
i think you will find there is bugger all in the cost of leaving lights on for 30 as opposed to 60 mins. modern lighting systems draw very little power in the scheme of things....

Capt Wally
15th Apr 2008, 09:35
Good rule of thumb here. ALWAYS activate/reactivate upon arrival or just prior to AD arrival believing that they are not on anyway even if you can see them still on. This will always assure that you have available to you the full time frame 30 mins or 60 mins although the former is the most common now.
Also as most must be aware of that the activation series of clicks varies & like some have said here the freq is the same as the CTAF. A stable app is parramount also just prior to crossing the 'fence' because if they did go out (due pwr failure for Eg.) & you where somewhat committed due wx that you could still land without rwy lighting.

CW

p.s...........just in case someone re kindles the 'fence' subject read elsewhere here that statement I believe came from the days of all over grass fields where 'over the fence' was pretty much the same as over the piano keys as what we have these days, barring the 1000 ft markers for the heavies.