PDA

View Full Version : Rex Contact

racso
13th Apr 2008, 23:42
Does Anybody Have An Email Contact For Chris Hines, Cp For Rex.
What Is The Go With Recruitment ??

gamma69
14th Apr 2008, 00:19
Go to the REX website and go through the pilot application portal, for REX employment.

racso
14th Apr 2008, 00:41
Thanks buddy...Done that.....have had an application in for a few months now and not one phone call dispite the shortages... Just thought if i contact CP maybe i can get some sort of an answer.. Cheers

KRUSTY 34
14th Apr 2008, 01:37
The shortage is now having an impact on REX's ability to Check and Train! The recent departure of irreplacable Check and/or Trainers, including simulator instructors has meant that REX are now struggling to Check and Train their current pilots, let alone process new ones.

Several ground schools have already been delayed or cancelled not because of a lack of candidates (as low qualified as they are), but because there is simply not enough teachers left to train them. The situation only worsens when you consider the multitude of training and checking gates that new recruits must go through.

I recently spoke to a very senior Check and training captain on his last day. He informed me that the Chief pilot of REX did not even so much as give him a phone call RE: his departure. Is it any wonder that people of that particular captain's stature have now simply given up.

So, I guess in answer to your question rasco, REX would probably love to employ you, but it is possible that they would be unable to do anything with you once you were through the door. One of the regular contributors to this forum was recently checked to line. It took more than 5 months from the time of his induction for that day to come. This of couse was before the most recent Check and Training departures.

I've heard that DJ have just exercised their options for the remaining E-Jets. Very shortly we will see another round of vigorous recruiting. Along with QF, Jetstar, VOZ (they have already taken at least 1 Senior REX captain) and even Tiger, the appetite for "experienced" pilots will go on for some years yet. If REX are having severe difficulties at the top of their pilot group now, then by the end of the year it will probably become untenable.

I've said this all before, If you lose your most experienced pilots then the whole thing will come crashing down.

Capt Wally
14th Apr 2008, 02:05
Krusty yr 'foundation' story would be very close to the mark, not too much argument there. Like a building it's foundation is what hods it all up. BUT we are dealing with a Co. that no longer treats it's most valuable asset/s (pilots) with any care/respect. That being the case is there anything that they (management) can do to stop the tide running out on them to the point where the pilot landscape will be baron for them forever? NO I don't believe so. (short of them making the employees feel as their welcome & showing it!) I believe after many years in the aviation dirty business that this will break REX as we know them. Like I've said before in other posts I just feel for the current employees that are still there trying to remain loyal, something that is dying right before our eyes!!:bored:

CW

shooter
14th Apr 2008, 02:42
Krusty and Wally;

You've been pushing this line for a very long time now and yet given the unprecedented recruitment from the airlines, Rex has managed to operate most of it's scheduled services still with respectable on time performance.
It would seem to me that you and your fellow pune followers are simply trying to take advantage of the situation to feather your own nest. Fortunately, the majority of pilots, unlike you, and are prepared give the little extra required to help Rex through this difficult time.
Before too long, the big recruitment cycle will come to a sudden end and the crew numbers will once again return to those required to operate all services with room for possible future expansion.

go_soaring
14th Apr 2008, 02:53
It took me 4.5months and 10 instructors, from induction day to the end! Boy is it a great feeling to get through that process, and am really enjoying the flying at the moment and think I will do for some time :).

It was looking like a 5months check to line, however a pro-active Check and Trainer was able to bring my date forward 2 weeks.

Safe Circles,
go_soaring

QF2
14th Apr 2008, 03:03
"Before too long, the big recruitment cycle will come to a sudden end and the crew numbers will once again return to those required to operate all services with room for possible future expansion."

Shooter, I'd have to disagree. The pilot shortage is still only developing and we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in that respect. If you sit down and crunch the numbers, you will see that the number of pilots the airlines will require is significantly more than the number of pilots being trained and coming through GA for the next few years at least (obviously if you look at the statistics you will need to take away the large number of pilots who are from overseas currently training here and will be returning overseas at the completion of their training). Given the situation, I don't think REX's problems are going to end soon. Yes, with their cadetships and other recruiting they are beginning to address the problem now, however cadets obviously can't immediately have command positions, therefore they will be having a difficult time for the next several years at least as captains continue to leave. I think everyone will see that recruiting on a large scale isn't going to come to a sudden stop in the near future, and will in fact continue steadily for at least the next five years, with recruitment still steady after that.

Sorry for the thread drift!

Bendo
14th Apr 2008, 03:09
Guys,

Remember most of these predictions of global pilot shortages come from major airframe manufacturers.

There is a good reason why all this will slow down - in one word:

Recession in the USA leading to a global economic slowdown :} :uhoh:

I have no doubt that Rex are in dire straits BUT this period of growth just keeps reminding me of late 2000/2001. :ouch:

airman1
14th Apr 2008, 06:40
This situation will only get worse as time passes!! , FO’s with bare CPL’s captains with only a few more hundred hours. So who is teaching whom in the cockpit?? Sounds like a bit of “she’ll be right ” as far as management is concerned. As for check and training a few circuits in the sim , single engine approach and presto ………Straight to the line. What about the authority gradient in the cockpit who is second-guessing who with all this inexperience???

This doesn’t only apply to REX but it goes for many regional carries!!!:ugh:

KRUSTY 34
14th Apr 2008, 07:00
Gidday Shooter, Hope yr well.

The only thing that will stop the major airline recruitment over the next several years will be a major economic downturn. Maybe it will happen. Maybe not. Quite interesting (if you read between the lines) that some would be hoping for such an event rather than address the root cause of the problem!

I've stated before in another thread that the Chief pilot of REX predicted back in August 07 that all this attrition would soon be coming to an end. At that time the "official" loss rate was around 25%. By the end of that year it had risen to 60%. So much for you and the REX chief pilot's clairvoyance.

REX, along with most (but not all) operators have decided to ignore the real reason for the current situation. It's been coming for the last 10 years. Long before DJ and the collapse of Ansett. Long before the expansions that we are seeing now. Over the last decade we have seen a robust GA reduced to a training ground for foriegn pilots. That may not necessarily be bad thing, but it now accounts for the significant majority of flying training. The decade long campaign of cutting costs and keeping salaries consistently below CPI has seen the wholesale desertion of the profession by a generation of young Australians. Where once upon a time low hour wannabes would endure the expence, uncertainty and sacrifice required for the coveted title of airline pilot, the current generation of young people have said "No Thanks". The industry has lost a major part of the pool for prospective candidates. Well done boys, you have killed the Golden Goose! Solution; break out the Alchemy sets and try a solution that will take years to bare fruit. If you are right, we will all see a stable and viable REX by years end. If you are wrong, and REX management continue to treat their pilots as expendable, then the outcome I'm afraid may be somewhat different.

Finally shooter, don't you dare accuse me of not helping with the maintenance of REX's schedule in these difficult times. I have gone more than the extra yards in recent times. If you do not know me then you are obviously shooting from the hip (again). If you think you know who I am then your honesty is as fragile as your statistics!

Capt Wally
14th Apr 2008, 08:54
Krusty yr wasting yr time with the likes of 'shooter' he has little idea of what's really happening, but that's fine, REX actually rely on the 'shooters' of this world to continue the illusion. We know why their failing only wish we could do something about it.:bored:

CW

KRUSTY 34
14th Apr 2008, 09:26
Yeah I know Wal, sad but true.

Funny though, how shooter and his ilk only come out when we hit a raw nerve. Little too close for their comfort methinks?

shooter
14th Apr 2008, 23:52
Whilst the airlines are indeed planning major expansions and recruiment, however historically they have gone overboard and not known when to stop. Following this, recruitment comes to a complete standstill. With the US slipping into recession I think we will see things coming to a grinding halt very soon and very suddenly!

KRUSTY 34
15th Apr 2008, 00:14
So, the solution to the crisis is the impending crash of the airline industry due to a global economic downturn. That'll encourage young Australians to take up the profession!!

If you are right shooter, then the demand for pilots will greatly reduce. The airlines that are still in business will gain a measure of breathing space with regard to their crewing requirements.

As all things cyclic however, when the demand for pilots resumes, we will then find ourselves in a far more critical situation with regard to the supply of crews.

All this of course depends on if you are right shooter. Irrespective of how this thing plays out, the root cause of the crisis still has not been addressed. Unless REX bites the bullet now, they will be dealing with this situation for years to come. That is unless of course CASA steps in in the meantime! Bruce Byron has already identified the loss of experience (particularily in the check and training positions) as a real concern to the ongoing safety of some airlines.

So you see shooter, it is not only the major airlines that may be in error with their personel management. But at least they will have the lion's share of what is left!

shooter
15th Apr 2008, 00:24
As all things cyclic however, when the demand for pilots resumes, we will then find ourselves in a far more critical situation with regard to the supply of crews.

By then the cadet scheme will be will be in full swing and producing sufficient pilots supply Rex' requirments in addition to the normal off the street recruitment.

KRUSTY 34
15th Apr 2008, 01:02
So how is the Cadet scheme going shooter? Apparently the first intake still haven't logged a minute!

Be ready for induction as a REX first officer by July will they?

A cadet program of sorts may be necessary over the coming years to augement the damage that has been done to the profession. But take note. Cadets have aspirations as well. Career, Family, Home ownership etc.. Before you get too carried away with the cadets being the panacia for REX's ills, step back and have a look at the progress so far. The advantage for cadets is that they have been sold on the idea that the uncertain and sometimes perilous path that all of us had to travel, can be avoided. Fine in theory, but you still have to make it work, and at the end of the day a suitable number of candidates have to be willing to embark on the program for the crap wages on offer at the end! As well as this, the requirement for a command on the SAAB is a min of 2000 hours Total aeronautical experience. Lets see? 800 hours a year, divided by half (co-pilot), 5 years "minimum" before the 1st one might be ready. You're kidding aren't you?

Whether or not REX are able to suck in enough naive young people however will become academic. The lack of progress of the Cadet scheme will pale when compared to the farce it will become when there are no qualified instructors or Check and Trainers left to teach them.

PlankBlender
15th Apr 2008, 01:14
Shooter, I think you are deluding yourself and, worse, others with less economic acumen around here :=

The influence of a US slowdown on the world economy has reduced markedly since China and India and, to a lesser extent, other Asian and Middle Eastern economies have entered their historic growth period.

Those economies will continue to grow for the next few decades, pretty much no matter what the US does. Many economists already believe that the US dominated world economy is coming to an end. Just look at the Euro, it's now worth close to $1.60, and more and more business worldwide is done in this currency.

For aviation, said growth regions are more important globally than the US. Especially for our aviation industry, as we're close (globally) to them, and for that and other reasons a logical training ground and recruitment market :ok:

Look at the numbers of aircraft sales globally, the way passenger numbers are growing at home and abroad, especially in China and India with literally hundreds of millions climbing up the social ladder to the middle classes where most airline travel is sold, plus the retiring baby boomers.

IMHO, it is not very hard to conclude that the pilot shortage is real, that it is going to get much worse before it gets better, and that it will be years before pilot salaries will stagnate or fall again. It's a good time to be or become a pilot ;)

I would encourage everyone to seek out the best terms and conditions they can, and to stop accepting the status quo. Negotiate hard and walk away from bad offers, especially if you can afford it based on experience or money in the bank. Help make the Australian aviation industry a better place to be for pilots and other employees :ok:.

The airlines can obviously stomach USD 110 per barrel of oil without going under. By definition, they can afford rising pilot salaries, because no airline can evade the laws of supply and demand. It used to work against us, now it works for us. :D

Just one small note on the cadet program: You don't honestly believe, shooter, that a small number of junior cadets from a problem-infested program will be more than a drop in the bucket, given 60% attrition rates with most leaving being much more experienced than the cadets?

Bendo
15th Apr 2008, 01:16
What is fuelling the economic growth in India and China? :bored:

PlankBlender
15th Apr 2008, 01:42
Bendo, that's a huge topic, and I would encourage you if you're really interested to seek out the many articles available on these developments. They will dominate world economics for decades to come, for better or worse, personally I think for better as economic growth has proven to be good for humanity as a whole (just look back a hundred years and how people lived then..).

In a nutshell, India has long had an education and public administration infrastructure from colonial days that makes it receptive to international trade from developed western economies. The Indian people are also very hard working and can grab and run with an opportunity when they see one. IT outsourcing was one such opportunity, and has brought great riches to some parts of the country. On the back of that and other effects of globalisation, more and more people are participating in growth and wealth creation. From a certain point which seems to have been reached, such growing economies develop an inertia of their own because growth creates and fuels growth to a point where it can even grow out of control (overheat).

The Chinese are close to that point, and they are actively trying to slow their growth to avoid overheating (dampen excessive price rises etc.). The Chinese rulers have opened up a previously very closed and regulated economy, and that has created growth opportunities even bigger than in India because of the sheer number of people in China.
A lot of growth in traditional western companies is already today derived from the Chinese based operations (look at car makers, electronic components, and many others). The need to house and feed several hundred million new middle class citizens who previously lived as impoverished farmers adds further demand, and once these lucky people have improved the basics, they start developing a taste for cars ans travel.. you see where I'm going with this :E

Slippery1
15th Apr 2008, 12:17
Hi all
I`ve just joined flew VFR years ago , had a change of career due many issues but am getting back to a flying career , I have 1000hrs tt a current MECIR , low ME hrs , studing ATPL what due all you guys think my chances are of employment? Rex -Qlink etc

Jenna Talia
15th Apr 2008, 14:15
studing ATPL what due all you guys think my chances are of employment? Rex -Qlink etc

With the spelling capability of a 6 year old, I don't think you have much chance at all. Particularly if your resume reflects the above.

sprocket check
19th Apr 2008, 14:27
India, China, etc?

US is in a major recession and somewhere on the wire they said 6 airlines have gone bust this year already. Delta dropped three thousand employees but NO PILOTS!!! Instead, they are expanding their international routes to replace domestic ones, for which they will likely use foreign cabin and ground crews.

Jaguar and Land Rover and its marques, ie Range Rover, etc are no longer owned by Ford. They are now owned by Tata Group of India. Sign o' the times. Imagine. India

Bendo, check out the Pilot Stike thread on Reporting Points.

sc