PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored schemes and strength of candidate

ElSupremo
13th Apr 2008, 11:28
Hi, I know there are various sponsored schemes around (e.g. CTC Wings etc) but what I don't know is the level of candidate these schemes are after. Do they always want a degree from you? Do most get in without one etc? Must you be an AAA student with a 1st class degree?

I have AAB at A level and will hopefully get at least a 2:1 in law in a few months, realistically what are my chances of success on applying to one of these schemes?

Many thanks.

Kerosine
13th Apr 2008, 11:36
Where CTC Wings is concerned, you need to look at..

A)The CTC website; they list criteria for application, (of which many get through on the minimum requirements)

B)The CTC Cadets thread in this forum

It is not a sponsored scheme, sponsored schemes no longer exist! It is a scheme where they secure the loan for you (still a full £60K!), with the big bonus being they have so far had 100% employment rates.

Potential
13th Apr 2008, 16:38
I would say that AAB with a 2:1 degree is fine for a 'sponsored' scheme. I'm not sure about A levels, but I have AAABBB Scottish Highers and a 2:1 degree in a non-aviation related subject and I've been accepted as a NetJets cadet at OAA.

Of course its not all about academic results, a big part of the selection for all FTOs is about your personality and aptitude for flying.

Good luck!

99jolegg
13th Apr 2008, 20:56
You need the minimum stated on their site. You will also need a lot of other skills (leadership, teamwork, aptitude) which can't really be taught from a textbook. CTC and others know this, so they rarely require 3 high achieving A levels.

ElSupremo
13th Apr 2008, 21:46
Was one of your scottish highers or degree maths or physics based? If not, did netjets kick up a fuss about this?

I ask because whilst a I have good A levels and hopefully will have a good degree soon I did not take maths or physics at A level (only physics at AS i.e. in between A level and GCSE). My A levels were economics, ICT and geography.

Potential
14th Apr 2008, 00:01
My degree was Geography and only included minimal maths and physics. I did do Highers in both subjects though.

The NetJets cadet requirements only state that you need to have a qualification in physics and maths, it doesn't specify a particular level of qualification. This would be something that you could get an answer to on the OAA forum.

My thought would be if that you could achieve acceptable scores on the maths and physics parts of the assessment then GCSE would be acceptable, but OAA/NetJets may not be of the same view.

corsair
14th Apr 2008, 10:45
You honestly do not need to have a degree or even some kind of third level education to be a pilot. It doesn't do any harm though.

CTC require:
have 5 GCSEs including Mathematics, English and a Science at grade C or higher (equivalent qualifications will be considered)
have 2 A-levels (or equivalent), preferably in Mathematics and one other science based subject (Physics recommended) at grade C or higher

Pilots don't have to be intellecual geniuses. Believe me not many are!

99jolegg is spot on. They are more interested in other things about you.