PDA

View Full Version : fATPL Syllabus

ElSupremo
13th Apr 2008, 11:24
Hi, I was just wondering what the syllabus of a typical fATPL course entails. Can anyone cast any light for me? It's obvious that they teach you how to fly practically but what about the theory? What's invloved there?

Many thanks.

BerksFlyer
13th Apr 2008, 12:15
For a start, when talking in detail you should refer to it as a CPL/IR because this is the actual licence you will have. To talk about syllabus you need to break it down, so if you go modular you will do these:

PPL
ATPL theory
CPL
ME
IR
MCC

And if you go integrated it's the same minus the PPL.

So really, we need to know what part of the CPL/IR 'syllabus' you want to know about.

Ollie268
13th Apr 2008, 13:50
If you mean the ATPL Theory exams, there are 14 of them;
Principles of flight, mass and balance, performance, electrics, operational procedures, flight planning and monitoring, general navigation, radio navigation, meteorology, air law, Human performance+limitation, Systems/Power, VFR Comms and IFR Comms.
Very heavy workload with a lot to take in and remember. If you are on an integrated course - usually these subjects are all covered in a period of around 7 months however this can vary. I was an integrated student so cant comment on the modular route.
The theory is a major part of the CPL/IR licence as it is from this that when you do your flight training and type rating, you will be expected to already have alot of knowledge about everything!!!! :}
I hope that can be of some help, im sure if you did a search on here or rung some FTOs they would be able to give you more advice.

ElSupremo
13th Apr 2008, 21:40
How much, as a rough percentage, of the course is mathematical/physics theory i.e. do you do things like mechanics (in the mathematical sense etc). Or is the course more about learning things about the aircraft?

In other words, will I be disadvantaged not having done maths or physics at A level? I did however, do physics at AS and economics and IT at A level (with geography) which ae maths based subjects. I've also nearly completed a law degree... would this help?