PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of women LAE's?

madiha
13th Apr 2008, 05:51
What do you think of women being in this mostly-all-male profession? Especially women LAE's in A & C? I'm just a trainee but i get discriminated all the time by saying I'm just not strong enough for the job (physically)..:sad:

Vortechs Jenerator
13th Apr 2008, 07:46
Are you strong enough for all the jobs men are? Men do have about 30% more muscle mass and the aggression (which can be focused as determination to suceed at a task) that testosterone brings with it. That's not sexism, it's natural ability. Lots of maintenance tasks do require strength, trust me.

I'm not saying you can't be an LAE or that you deserve to be discriminated against but maybe you are also being a bit sensitive. If you listen closely, you'll hear blokes ripping the piss out of each other for all sorts of reasons, maybe you just don't hear it because you are feeling all hurty?

It's not going to go away anytime soon though, rightly or wrongly. Have a good think and if you can't toughen up and give as good back as you get and deal with it, you will seriously have to think about leaving the industry for your own long term health IMO. I've worked with a few women and they successfully (and diversely) deal with the environment - something must have attracted you to it in the first place?

That's about my tuppence spent

SNS3Guppy
13th Apr 2008, 07:51
Strength isn't a big criteria for the job. If I need herculean strength to do a job, I find another way to do it. That's why we have lifts, rachet straps, clamps, etc. Work smart, not necessarily harder. If you're having to use a lot of strength, there's probably a better way you can be doing the job.

I don't care which restroom a co-worker uses. Male, female...who cares? I do care about competence and taking the job seriously. My respect goes to those who seek craftsmanship in their work, don't cut corners, and take seriously the tasks to which they sign their name. I treat a female the same on the shop floor or in the cockpit.

stankou
13th Apr 2008, 10:58
+1 SNS3Guppy

Madiha, if you are serious, consciencious in your job, you've got your place as an LAE. I've never made a difference between male and female either in the hangar or in the ramp. But do not use your female condition to have a "lighter job" the A/C mechanic job can be dirty, heivy, under rain, snow, hard sun. If you do your job in a respectable manner, you will be respected as an LAE. ( despite certain old male dinosaurs)

Bus429
13th Apr 2008, 11:48
Strength has bugger all to do with it; if you are equipped with the proper gear to do wheel changes, IDG replacements etc you do not need strength. If you are subject to discrimination, get legal advice.

WOTME?
13th Apr 2008, 13:29
Working in Sweden alongside a local female licenced engineer she is very good at her job & from what I can see suffers no discrimination(I don't speak the lingo).
However she is now on a years leave for having a baby & she's preggers again so who knows when she'll be back at work!
No reason whatsoever men being stronger should come into it.I'm 54,so I'm unlikely to be as strong as a 30 year old.
It's what's between your ears that counts,& what you do with it.

JSaeroengineer
13th Apr 2008, 16:55
"It's what's between your ears that counts,& what you do with it."

Agreed.

mnttech
13th Apr 2008, 17:36
"It's what's between your ears that counts,& what you do with it."

Wow, what a great statement. Male or female, that is really what it is all about.

Best of luck to you.

Lightning5
14th Apr 2008, 08:50
One of my tasks was to run the apprentice scheme at a large charter UK outfit. I did recruit two young ladies during my time,and after a few initial concerns, they were received well on the hangar floor, and turned out to be good engineers. One was a B1 and the other a B2 and both now have there licences, so go for it, ignore the comments and the best of luck. I have just retired after 48 years in aviation, a great career, and happy memories.

Best wishes and go for it.

Mr.Brown
14th Apr 2008, 09:50
if you are equipped with the proper gear to do wheel changes, IDG replacements etc you do not need strength.

"If", being the key word in that statement

If you're having to use a lot of strength, there's probably a better way you can be doing the job.

There will always be a better way to do the job and having the right tools makes every job much easier but what if you don't have the right tools? Sometimes you have to use various different ways, sometimes strenght is one of those ways.

Anyway madiha, There is alot of P**S taking in this industry, mainly because its mostly lads, if you react to it it gets worse.
Just get on with it, and take the P**s back
Some engineers aren't strong enough for certain jobs, (for example a B2 lad trying to de-panel, you might aswell just give him/her a drill and easy out to start with, but they wouldn't know what to with them)
Some are too fat for fuel tank entry, some are too small to reach from the top of the steps provided....
Some are better at other things in their trade than other
I think physically the perfect engineer has one really long arm with two elbows, three wrists, really long skinny fingers , the other arm is short and really really strong with short stumby fingers.

We all have different strenghts and weaknesses and working as part of a team is about using everyones strenghts as much as possible....

My God thats management talk............ HELP!!!!!!!!!!

TURIN
14th Apr 2008, 13:37
You only need the extra strength before you get your tickets (to carry the LAEs).

Once you're licensed, you only need to lift a pen and a log book. ;)

That's what the techs tell me any way.:rolleyes:

Every Single Day....................:{

Good Luck. :ok:

Riccardo
14th Apr 2008, 14:36
Turin - absolutely spot on. Excellent post made me laugh!

As far as girlie LAE's go - there should be more!

NutLoose
16th Apr 2008, 19:25
Worked with quite a few female Engineers and can't fault them, If you want to do it and its your dream, then do not let any petty minded individuals prevent you from meeting your goal.

Often you find it could well be jealousy and nothing else........... sure we all have those jobs we struggle at, but then again so do everyone, regardless of sex..........

Just stick with it :)

boshank
16th Apr 2008, 22:42
i did my EASA course with a nice girl who ended up working with me after too, i think woman shouldn't be put off because they think its a mans job.

i think every 145 organisation should have at least 1, our crew room has never been so clean :8

mini
18th Apr 2008, 22:35
My "missus" is an engineer, as am I. She is very successful in her career because she is very competent. ie gender is irrelevant.

madiha, what you are describing is discrimination, based on the fact that you are a woman. This is illegal in many countries.

What I'm saying is that what you're describing is that your work colleagues haven't joined the 21st century yet.

Persevere, and good luck.

spannersatcx
20th Apr 2008, 12:21
more likely the country where she is hasn't:(

sanoj
21st Apr 2008, 08:35
Hi

I'm all for more women on my workplace!:)
got one on our day shift, shes not verry tall and looks likes she weighs not more then around 60kg and would say shes verry successfull, and shes even working in the special AOG team so somhow she does it and I can only be impressed by it!

you should never be discriminated at your workplace but also consider this is a proffesion with alot of guys and sort of "pick on the newbies until they learn" mentality. I'm kind of new in the buisness myself only 3 years:) and when I go back to my first workplace where I did my aprrentence ship and mess something up the comment is always "damn trainee!" don't think I'l ever get away from it! :ugh:

the mentality at most places are a bit weird but it grows on you and after a while you begin to love it, altough your friends might look weird at you when you laugh loud while telling the one about when you walked pass the avionics bay finding one of your colleague trap in there and decided do give him a smelly present:E

if you like the job GO FOR IT! its a great proffesion to be in! good luck!

mitzy69
21st Apr 2008, 13:22
lady engineers. I would rather work with a female engineer, than a male one who has a magic hand shack, who gets all the best jobs.

zamayam
21st Apr 2008, 20:41
I think the nature for famale to be LAE is not easy in all around the word especialy in midle East. If you dont want to waste your time and money please try in Aviation Managment or Quality assurance in Aviation.This is my advice to all FEMALE:ok: